IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 10-10-2010, 06:47 PM
All-Pro

Titans just beat Dallas so the whole division is now tied at 3-2 but we have had the toughest schedule of any of them through five weeks. Houston and Jacksonville also have negative point differentials, for what its worth.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
KJ has played in 5 regular season games, 4 practice games. On the INT, KJ was in the right spot at the right time - that counts for something. I'd love to pick nits with you over the next couple of hours but I've got better things to do.

I watched Cris Dishman suck for a couple of years before he developed into one of the toughest corners in the league. That's the trouble with the fanbase today - no patience. "We want it now, dammit". You may not like the results but you won't be able to hurry things along. It's like yellin' at the screen in the movie theater - no effect.
I don't whats wrong with Texans fans. Will say anything to prove their point. Chris Dishman? Really?

In my post I complimented KJ for being in the right position. Being in the right position has not been his problem. It has been making a positive play on the ball while he's there that has been the problem. Case in point the goal line TD pass to Nicks and countless others. And no I am not calling him a bust. I am only suggesting that his play has been less than stellar and has been a big reason why our secondary sucks so bad. He needs to get better fast or maybe he should be benched for a game or two. Or maybe playing those soft zone coverages don't suit him very well. Maybe he needs to be in the face of the WR. Whatever the case he needs to get better fast.

And in reference to your Chris Dishman analogy, do you suggest that we we continue to let him be the achilles heel of our defense for 3 or 4 more years then assess him again?

Its OK to think a player could do better. Its apart of being a fan...

Disprove that theory...
Old 10-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Regular Starter

I think some of the criticism of KJ is on point. He doesn't get enough(if any) jam on his receivers at the line, his hips aren't the most fluid, and most of all, his recovery speed leaves something to be desired. That said, he's far from our only problem on defense. McCain is getting burned, IMO, just as much as KJ, maybe more. Eugene Wilson was back out there after the second quater, and I thought after S. McMannis got that int, he'd get more PT. He didn't.

Also, our def line is HORRIBLE with the exception of Mario. Our DT's have been underachieving all season, no pressure up through the middle and little success stopping the run. If it wasn't for D.Ryan and Cush now, we'd be gutted on every play. When D.Ryan was hoping we'd draft a DT, I don't think Earl Mitchell was what he had in mind.

On the subject of Earl Mitchell, I really like this kid, but think Kube's could be using him in a much more effective role. He's got great strength and launches off the line every snap. That paired with his high motor has me thinking he might be better suited as our replacement for Connor Barwin THIS season. I think Antonio actually plays better inside at this point of his career, and since he and Earl are basically the same size, I like Earl's youth and hustle on the outside more. I just can't help thinking if Earl get's such good penetration on the inside, imagine him lined up on the outside, one on one. I think Kube's should split their PT at both positions.

The more pressure we can put on QB's up front, the better our secondary is gonna look. I liked the blitzes Bush ran in the second half, but by the time he started blitzing, the game was almost out of reach.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texas View Post

Its OK to think a player could do better. Its apart of being a fan...
Sure it is. And so is venting. And I think you've got that venting part down just fine - In fact, you take it to the next level...
Old 10-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Titans just beat Dallas so the whole division is now tied at 3-2 but we have had the toughest schedule of any of them through five weeks.
We're also the softest (some would call it the pu$$y's) of the bunch. A splitting image of the coach, who just CAN'T look when we have to kick an important FG. Get physical and hit this team in the mouth and they rarely respond. Note I said rarely, not never.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post
That said, he's far from our only problem on defense. McCain is getting burned, IMO, just as much as KJ, maybe more.
So what if McCain is getting beat, he's a what, 5th or 6th round pick ? On the other hand KJ is a first-rounder, the 20th overall in the 2010 Draft.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
So what if McCain is getting beat, he's a what, 5th or 6th round pick ? On the other hand KJ is a first-rounder, the 20th overall in the 2010 Draft.
The 'so what' is this coaching staff and GM decided to go into this 'playoff bound' season with a bunch young, inexperienced players and/or low draft picks at probably the most critical positions on D' and it's backfiring horribly. I don't know what options they had, but they should have known better and perhaps kept or signed players who may have helped in case this did happen. I mean the Jets went out and got Cromartie so it is possible to take a chance and get a decent player that can help. WTF...they kept Molden?!? What has he ever done except spend time on IR? Not saying it can't change for the better, but nothing gives me the impression it will get better any time soon. At least not against playoff caliber QBs.

What else amazes me is we can't get a decent pass rush despite all the picks and money we've invested up there. I see teams with half the (supposed) talent we have get better, more consistent, push than we do. It's not all about sacks, it's about disruption. We can't even get that. Manning rarely had anyone even remotely close to him. Unbelievable.

Yeah, we're 3-2 and that's great. But if this team isn't careful, the Chiefs, with a very good physical D, will come in here next Sunday and give them a beat down and it won't look so rosy then. Confidence will go down the crapper. As it is, this team is going no where with this defense and it's penchant for getting bitch-slapped by physical teams.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:39 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Chuck, I say 6-10 is a huge overreaction. It puzzles me how much you seem to revel in a Texans defeat. Since I didn't live in Houston during the oilers days (was reborn a Texans fan from the first day of the franchise here), I will assume it is a coping mechanism that only the luv' ya blue guys can understand.
Sure, it's an overreaction in a way but 6-10 is also a real possibility. My schizophrenia surely does have its roots in the Oilers. I pained through every Pittsburgh loss in the Bum days but it's impossible to explain what a Buffalo game or especially the KC game the next year will do to an unstable fan's already fragile psyche.

But I'm also reacting to what I see on the field. I have no faith at all in this organization. I have no faith in the staff's ability to work around the team's shortcomings and to solve other teams' attempts to exploit them. And the shortcomings, especially on defense, are horrifying. This is the worst secondary the Texans have ever fielded in the history of the franchise, both in terms of personnel and in terms of performance. And that would be less of a problem if the defensive line weren't so totally useless at pressuring the quarterback.

And the schedule - unless the team starts playing a lot better somehow I just don't see many wins on that schedule.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Pro Bowler

Bad as I hate to agree with Chuck on anything, he certainly has it right about the Oiler years. I lived through those up and down years just like Chuck did. So to see this up one day and down the next team, is just too much to take. What really hurts is the Titans won their games with the Giants and Dallas, while we looked like warmed over crap.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:24 PM
All-Pro

But then the Titans also lost two home games (Broncos and Steelers w/no Ben) so they are just as up and down as we are.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:28 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Bad as I hate to agree with Chuck on anything, he certainly has it right about the Oiler years.
Oh, I don't know that we truly disagree all that terribly often, we just enjoy antagonizing each other. I thought that's what the internet was for.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
But then the Titans also lost two home games (Broncos and Steelers w/no Ben) so they are just as up and down as we are.
Ye old parity again. Woe is me! Yes, of course you'er right Bob. I'm just in my cups today I guess. I'll be over it by Wednesday.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
To top that off, the freaking Cardinals beat the Saints with an undrafted rookie QB.......Crazy week in the NFL this past weekend, odd things happened.

I am hoping this was another, "just one of those games". I didn't really think it would be a blow out, on either side, but can't really say I thought we would dominate. There is NO dominant forces in the NFL this year. 10 wins could be a conference champ in the South. It is going to be a wild ride, and I am ready.

Of course, we can't have too many more "just one of those games", and I can't really say that I am all that worried about it. We need to catch a hot streak, and the upcoming bye week couldn't have come at a better time. Hopefully, we can skate thru the Chiefs games with minimal bumps and bruises and come back primed and ready to make a post break run.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Regular Starter

Remember last year when we were getting the ball ran up our throats for like half a season? That got fixed. Im just hopeful that this is just a young secondary that is learning as they go. 5-3 thru 8 games is still within reach. I would gladly take a 5-3 record after 8 games because we have a tendency to finish seasons really strong.