IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
A's = Andre Johnson, Demeco Ryans. That's it.
B's = Mario Williams. That's it.
C's = Matt Schaub, Owen Daniels. That's it.

If I were a GM trying to start a new club, I'd also be interested in Cushing and Andre Davis. But the rest of the Texans would have to be on the waiver wire before I'd even consider adding them.
Wow, tough sell.

IMO, these are the Texans' "A" players, players that are competitive for a pro-bowl this, or most years:

Andre Johnson, Matt Schaub, Owen Daniels, Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, and Bernard Pollard.

I don't know how you'd define the "B" and "C" players, but out of our starting 22, I think the only players who aren't starters for most "good" teams in the NFL are Okoye, Cody, Meyers, and whoever the flavor of the week at RB is.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Regular Starter

Tops in the league QB is a "C" player. MMmmm, the Russian judge is one tough scorer.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Hall of Fame

I'd say well done to all who participated on the "A" list. Since the pro-bowlers were announced, most all of you had the four Texans named as A's. Though probably Mario had a "B" year due to injury, he still gets in and that is fine. We've come to expect much more from him and I know next year, that most of us will expect a healthy Mario to step it up....
Old 12-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Pro Bowler

I know Mario's numbers have not been what we are used to. However, I think this year he added a tremendous piece to his skill set-run defense. Despite the lack of production in terms of sacks, he was consistently putting pressure on the opposing qbs. The problem was that the lack of an interior push made it easy for the opposition to just step up in the pocket. I think with increased productivity from the interior Mario will be picking be sitting at about 12-15 sacks next year. Or at least being doubled and giving opportunities for others to get sacks. Either way is fine with me.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texas View Post
I know Mario's numbers have not been what we are used to. However, I think this year he added a tremendous piece to his skill set-run defense. Despite the lack of production in terms of sacks, he was consistently putting pressure on the opposing qbs. The problem was that the lack of an interior push made it easy for the opposition to just step up in the pocket. I think with increased productivity from the interior Mario will be picking be sitting at about 12-15 sacks next year. Or at least being doubled and giving opportunities for others to get sacks. Either way is fine with me.
He has also relied too heavily on his speed rush. I don't know if it was due to his injury, or if he's just more confident in his speed, but in a lot of plays that appeared to be almost-sacks or QB pressures, he was simply being run out of the play.

LZ has said that he feels that Mario hasn't really added any pass rush moves in his four years here, which might be indicative of his ability/willingness to learn given that he's had two DL coaches in the league.

Also, Anotonio Smith (I believe it was) specifically called out a/some underperforming first round linemen on the team who he says were not giving full effort.

Mario's been a good player thus far in the league. I was first to defend him and his plantar faciitis his rookie season. I was first to defend him against any criticism in subsequent seasons. And, I was first to stump for him for pro-bowl, all-pro, all-world, all-universe honors. But, we're starting to see a disturbing trend emerge here with him. Hopefully he bucks it and realizes his potential.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Pro Bowler

It seems Mario relies too much on the bullrush to the outside. He never seems to do the Dwight Freeney dance where he goes to the outside then spins inside to make the tackle. I don't know if this is primarily Mario not having enough moves, or it is a product of too conservative of a pass rush being put on the defensive lineman by the Dcoach, or by Kube.