IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Drafted Rookie

Default Schaub Questions

I saw an article by Patrick Daugherty of Rotoworld on the Yahoo website, ranking QBs for Fantasy purposes, and giving best/worst case scenarios (in Daugherty's opinion.) He has Matt Schaub at #23.

23. Matt Schaub
Best Case: Schaub continues to look like a player who’s already peaked, but not one who’s bottomed out. A competent QB2 for fantasy purposes who can be a QB1 depending on the matchup (ahem, Jacksonville).

Worst Case: The shell-of-his-former-self Schaub from the Divisional Round was just a preview, as he emerges as a full-on checkdown machine. The arrival of DeAndre Hopkins is of little help as Andre Johnson loses another step. Schaub and the Texans’ window slams shut before most even realized it was open.

I realize that this article is geared towards Fantasy Football and not the actual game, but #23? His actual stats put him in the middle of the pack, generally.

Here is the link I have to the article:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/best-ca...0530--nfl.html

This prompts me to ask a few Schaub questions:
1. With the addition of Hopkins, and a better OL (I hope), will Schaub hit 4,000 yds? He had 4,008 in 2012.
2. Will his TD to INT ratio (22/12 in 2012) improve?
3. Will Schaub be better this year at hitting his primary or secondary receivers?
4. Most important, can he do his part to get the Texans to the Promised Land?

Thoughts?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:48 AM
All-Pro

I am beginning to think "worst case" is more likely than "best case" but I would love to be proven wrong. Shoring up the right side of the OL and keeping Foster healthy will be critical.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:39 AM
All-Pro

I guess main thing is real wins. Hoping Hopkins, a 6'6" TE, and improved OL RT helps. Maybe preseason will show which direction headed. Seems for fantasy ranking coud be because Foster gets lots of TD, lowers Schaub number.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:10 PM
All-Pro

The fantasy football article doesn't matter at all. The best case and worst case fantasy situations are pointless when discussing real football.

What does matter is that Schaub has been mostly good for his time here in Houston and then was mostly terrible (along with the rest of the offense) down the stretch last year. If he wasn't hurt in some way they never let on, than I am worried that he plays that way again. And even if he doesn't play that way again, I am worried that he is never better than he was in the first half of 2012 (good but not great).

Either way I am worried about the QB position as it relates to the Texans winning the superbowl. At this point I would say our only chance is that Cushing stays healthy, the defense looks like it did in the first 6 games last year, Mercilous is a stud, and we are able to avoid NE. If all that happens I could see us securing a bye and grinding out 3 playoff wins. After all, you don't have to be the best team in to NFL to win a superbowl (see Ravens, Baltimore, 2012). But this team is not winning a title on the strength of an efficient and above average offense.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 PM
All-Pro

Schaub was obviously hurt last year. Kubiak radically changed the play calling the last third of the season and into the playoffs. I have no idea whether it was a dead arm (whatever that is, but I can't see where a professional QB can hurt himself throwing a football) or something else, but there is no other explanation for the complete change in offensive strategy.

The defense should be pretty damn good. If Schaub is healthy for a change the offense should be pretty damn good. I'm looking forward to seeing some new faces, particularly the defensive guys they drafted. Most of those guys seem to me to be high risk / high reward guys so if the team gets one or more high rewards out of the deal it could get interesting.

More than anything, though, I can't believe that the next time I think about it the season will be about to start.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:27 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Schaub was obviously hurt last year. Kubiak radically changed the play calling the last third of the season and into the playoffs. I have no idea whether it was a dead arm (whatever that is, but I can't see where a professional QB can hurt himself throwing a football) or something else, but there is no other explanation for the complete change in offensive strategy.

The defense should be pretty damn good. If Schaub is healthy for a change the offense should be pretty damn good. I'm looking forward to seeing some new faces, particularly the defensive guys they drafted. Most of those guys seem to me to be high risk / high reward guys so if the team gets one or more high rewards out of the deal it could get interesting.

More than anything, though, I can't believe that the next time I think about it the season will be about to start.
I honestly believe the same thing Chuck. He had to be hurt and they just didn't say anything. There are other explanations for Schaub falling apart but no other explanation for why we abandoned our offense and eliminated the bootleg almost completely after years of Kubiak inventing new ways to run that play more and more.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:40 AM
Hall of Fame

Jaws just recently placed him at #9 in his QB rankings admitting that it was probably higher than most would place him. He cited Schaub's body of work as his justification.... During the highlights, they showed Schaub throwing a couple of beautifully thrown deep balls in the Denver game. The deep ball all but disappeared in the last 6 games....

He's the incumbent and deserves the time to "prove" himself again but count me as one who is intrigued by Case Keenum......
Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 AM
All-Pro

In his 32-part series ranking NFL starting quarterbacks for this season, Ron Jaworski has Matt Schaub ranked ninth on ESPN and ESPN.com.
http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...php?cmpid=hpts
That is kinda surprising, hope he knows what he's talking about ?