IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Not Quite ...In the Bullseye > The Other Sports

Old 06-10-2012, 01:34 PM
All-Pro

Default Astros

Seems the team has some good streaks and then bad streaks, but better than I expected for such a young team.

Currently at 25-34, about 7 games behind Cincinnati , ahead of the Cubs.
If that continues, a pace to get about 69 wins. perhaps they will have a better record going forward.

Altuve and Lowrie doing real well.
Some good summary stats are here
http://stats.chron.com/mlb/teamrepor...eport=teamhome

Seems bullpen pitching doing ok, starters not too consistent yet, same for hitting, good one game, off the next.

The Astros draft seemed pretty good for future. They already signed first and third round pick which is a good start.

Here is a good summary
http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros...1-draft-picks/

New GM and Ownership doing ok overall so far it seems as well.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:43 PM
All-Pro

Pitching was great in May until they went to Colorado and, since then, they've gone off the deep end. They were fifth in the league in team ERA when they left L.A. and have now slid all the way to 12th.

They've been entertaining this year and it has been great to watch some of these players grow into big leaguers. They make take a step back next year when they switch to the AL and have to deal with the Rangers and Angels on a regular basis.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Hall of Fame

Nicely pitched game by Harrell last night. He just might turn into something..... a good #2 or #3 type - .500 pitcher at worst.

Dallas Keuchel (U of Ark ) looking good so far - reminds me of "old" Astro Bob Knepper....

Good lord, Justin Maxwell's got power! But I'm afraid he's a .225 hitter..

There's a number of players, especially in the bullpen (The Deregulators), that I'd get rid of if I was GM...

Overall though, I am enjoying watching this last year in the NL...
Old 07-01-2012, 07:59 AM
All-Pro

Would everyone be happy if Carlos Lee accepts trade to LA?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 AM
All-Pro

I guess I don't blame Carlos for turning down the trade, but, I think he should have accepted the trade as a courtesy to Astros who have made him a very wealthy person and need to start rebuilding sooner, rather than later.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:01 PM
All-Pro

Three months of playing for a contender vs. three months of taking up space in Houston? If I were Luhnow, I might have said "If you want any chance of coming back to play for us next year, don't cross us now." The Dodgers had made a very generous offer - they were absorbing most of the contract and giving up a well-regarded A-ball pitcher. I think as more media people thought the Astros had made a good deal, the Dodgers realized this was a 260-lb mistake.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:49 PM
All-Pro

Ok, thanks Miami and Carlos for agreeing to go.

Found a little on two guys Astros got on Sbnation,

Matt Dominguez, 3B: Dominguez was drafted by the Marlins in the first round in 2007, from high school in Chatsworth, California. Age 22, he is renowned for his excellent defensive ability at third base, where he has the range, hands, and arm strength to be a Gold Glove winner. Unfortunately, he has been disappointing with the bat, hitting just .247/.302/.396 in 165 games of Triple-A over the last year and a half, showing power at times, but frustrating scouts with his inability to make adjustments. He is still young enough to improve and perhaps the change of scenery will unlock his ability.

Rob Rasmussen, LHP: Rasmussen was drafted in the second round in 2010, out of UCLA. He is pitching in the High-A Florida State League this year at age 23, posting a 3.90 ERA with a 75/36 K/BB in 88 innings with 83 hits allowed. Rasmussen is undersized at 5-9, 160, but he has good arm strength and works in the low-90s, mixing in a curve, slider, and changeup. Rasmussen threw strikes in college but has had mixed results as a pro, and has not dominated the lower levels of the farm system. He could be a fifth starter but is more probably a reliever in the long run.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:14 PM
All-Pro

Carlos didn't "agree" to go anymore than a tenant agrees to be evicted. I doubt the Marlins were on his no-trade list because, back in 2006, the Marlins were still living on the cheap and would have never traded for somebody expensive like Carlos Lee.

When you veto a trade, teams don't generally react well. Yes, it was within Carlos' rights but it's like refusing a favor to the Godfather. You may win temporarily but the don won't forget.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:28 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Carlos didn't "agree" to go anymore than a tenant agrees to be evicted. I doubt the Marlins were on his no-trade list because, back in 2006, the Marlins were still living on the cheap and would have never traded for somebody expensive like Carlos Lee.

When you veto a trade, teams don't generally react well. Yes, it was within Carlos' rights but it's like refusing a favor to the Godfather. You may win temporarily but the don won't forget.
Seems Carlos had something like 16 teams that he could veto the trade with, and as you pointed out, the Marlins were not on that list. Thus he had no say in the trade.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 PM
All-Pro

Good luck in future and a big thanks for the many years as a contributing Astro to Wandy Rodriguez.

Seems Astros have now dumped all the guys they could to get prospects into their farm system and hopefully begin rebuilding fairly soon.

Guess we will see how patient everyone is with the rebuilding. I do think the new GM seems to know what he is doing and so it won't be too long.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Astros cleaned house with yet another trade, Chris Johnson to Arizona.

Frankly, I love what they're doing this year. I don't care if they lose 125 next year letting these kids develop. Time to stockpile some early picks.

They goofed in prior years giving up such good talent for middling returns, but this new administration is taking a risk worth taking. Should be fun watching these guys grow up over the next 3-4 seasons.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:33 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Astros cleaned house with yet another trade, Chris Johnson to Arizona.

Frankly, I love what they're doing this year. I don't care if they lose 125 next year letting these kids develop. Time to stockpile some early picks.

They goofed in prior years giving up such good talent for middling returns, but this new administration is taking a risk worth taking. Should be fun watching these guys grow up over the next 3-4 seasons.
Ditto this. I loved watching the era of Bagwell, Gonzalez, Kile and Casey Candaele. It was fun watching those guys grow up together.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:37 AM
Hall of Fame

Let's see:

3-24 since the All-Star break.

4-34 in their last 38 games.

Heroes wanted - Please apply at Minute Maid Park....
Old 08-19-2012, 04:19 PM
All-Pro

Ok, getrting rid on current coaches now, so, just about ready to start adding back the new winning team now. or maybe that starts in off-season. might as well lockup first choice in draft and set a few badness records on the way.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:54 PM
All-Pro

Bo Parker hired as new head coach.

40 years old, 3B coach with Nationals, wife from Houston, sounds like a great fit for new Astros.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:55 PM
All-Pro

Good luck to him. Let's see if Crane gives him any players.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 PM
All-Pro

Astro's are 15-14 over last month, 3 shutouts in a row, so maybe these young guys just needed a little time and different coach.

ok, a little hope here at end of season going forward.

last game of season tonight.

then no. 1 pick again in draft.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 PM
All-Pro

Astros have decided not to renew the contracts of Dave Raymond and Brett Dolan. The team says it wants to move in a new direction. Also mentioned the Astros were looking towards bringing in another HOF broadcaster.

chron.com

IMO this is a solid move, I have never been able to listen to those two for over an inning or two. And that was not the case prior to their arrival.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Pro Bowler

Slogan for 2013 Astros season: "It gets worse before it gets better"
Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 AM
All-Pro

Slogan for the 2013 Astros: "Who ARE those guys?" (and who are these guys they are playing? And why does Bud Norris never come to bat? and what did they do with the hill? and who is this new manager? and where's Milo?, etc.)