IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 04-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Veteran Depth

Default Who would make you go "huh?" in the First Round

Who would most surprise you among the guys expected to be at 20 if the Texans drafted him? Also, try to come up with some reason why they would draft him.

For me it would be Sergio Kindle. He has 3-4 outside LB written all over him. There are only two reasons for the Texans to draft him. 1) Going to a 3-4 defense or a hybrid between 3-4 and 4-3. 2) Plan to play him at Will on running downs and DE sometimes on passing downs.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:41 PM
All-Pro

Brandon Graham for similar reasons. IMO he is Dwight Freeney. I would bring him in put him at RDE and put Mario at LDE. Barwin would have to really hump it to get on the field.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:25 PM
All-Pro

Everson Griffen. - He appears to be a boom/bust player that did not dominate at the college level like his measurables suggest he should have. That label was also hung on Mario by those who wanted Reggie or Vince. The team has a USC type defense and was one of the reasons given for Brian Cushing's quick success. Perhaps Smith/Kubiak go back to that well hoping for more GOLD. We all know that in order to win the division, we must beat the Colts and that includes getting pressure on Manning.

The other 'huh' pick could be Taylor Mays since he is a Trojan and he is that "tough physical" type player that we have heard Kubiak asking for. They also seem to like the idea of interchangeable Safeties.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:18 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Brandon Graham for similar reasons. IMO he is Dwight Freeney. I would bring him in put him at RDE and put Mario at LDE. Barwin would have to really hump it to get on the field.
Why not have Graham & Barwin both on the field on the outside and move Mario inside along with Antonio Smith in passing situations ?
Old 04-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Drafted Rookie

Maurkice Pouncey. It would suprise me because everyone is thinking cb or rb. Center is a real sore spot on our ol but Kubiak seems content to keep marching Chris Meyers out there. This year we face some really tough 3-4 defenses and man would a blue chip center do wonders for us.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:06 PM
All-Pro

Tim Tebow. The media has him going to 20 different teams for reasons I can't explain.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:22 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Tim Tebow. The media has him going to 20 different teams for reasons I can't explain.
Probably has something to do with him being a winner everywhere he has gone. He doesn't know how to lose. He still reminds me a lot of Brett Favre who was mainly a running QB when he came out of college and was even traded by his first team. He just did whatever it took to win.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:02 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Why not have Graham & Barwin both on the field on the outside and move Mario inside along with Antonio Smith in passing situations ?
In passing situations, maybe. Mario's talent is weaken when you move him inside, he is more exposed to triple teams and will have less one on ones.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:15 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRocket View Post
Probably has something to do with him being a winner everywhere he has gone. He doesn't know how to lose. He still reminds me a lot of Brett Favre who was mainly a running QB when he came out of college and was even traded by his first team. He just did whatever it took to win.

He was traded because of a few reasons one Glanville was a horrible judge of talent, two he was not the brightest ship in the ocean, three he was a drunk party boy in Atlanta.

Wikipedia has this on Favre's time in Atlanta.
Quote:
Favre was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in the second round, 33rd overall in the 1991 NFL Draft.[16] On July 19, 1991, Favre agreed to a three-year, $1.4 million contract with a reported signing bonus of $350,000.[17] Atlanta coach Jerry Glanville did not approve of the drafting of Favre, saying it would take a plane crash for him to put Favre into the game.[18] Favre's first pass in an NFL regular season game resulted in an interception returned for a touchdown. He only attempted four passes in his career at Atlanta, was intercepted twice, and completed none of them.[8]

The Green Bay Packers general manager Ron Wolf traded a first–round pick (19th overall, RB Tony Smith, Southern Miss) for Favre during the following offseason. Wolf, while an assistant to the general manager of the New York Jets, had intended to take Favre in the 1991 NFL draft, but Favre was taken by the Falcons on the previous pick.[18]

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel and other sources, during the physical after the trade, Favre was diagnosed with avascular necrosis of the hip, the same degenerative condition that ended Bo Jackson's football career, and doctors recommended his physical be failed, which would nullify the trade. Wolf overruled them.[19]
BTW the Falcons used a 2nd round pick #33 and got a #16 for him, not a bad trade at the time. Or so it seemed
Old 04-22-2010, 07:03 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
In passing situations, maybe. Mario's talent is weaken when you move him inside, he is more exposed to triple teams and will have less one on ones.
It would seem that triple teaming Mario would be ideal in that situation ? It would be exactly what we would want ?
Old 04-22-2010, 01:29 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
It would seem that triple teaming Mario would be ideal in that situation ? It would be exactly what we would want ?
No body else requires a double and no one else has shown they can get by a single guy blocking on a regular basis. So moving your only safe option to DT is not the best move IMO.