IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2014, 06:13 PM
All-Pro

Default Bortles, Manziel To Visit Texans

http://http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/...o-visit-texans

Due diligence regardless but I am amazed at how Bridgewater never seems to be mentioned anymore which either tells me the Texans aren't considering him or they don't want other teams to know he's their top choice.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Anyone remember how much the Broncos talked to Jay Cutler before they drafted him? How about never?

Quote:
The Broncos liked Cutler enough that they traded up a few spots to take him, but interestingly, he was never brought in for a visit and was never interviewed by the team before the draft. When head coach Mike Shanahan was asked why this was the case, he explained that he didn't want to alert the other teams to Cutler and purposely avoided bringing Cutler in.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...with-no-1-pick

So is the Texans' front office, even after the departure of HC Gary Kubiak, still South Denver? Yes, yes it is.

Seems to me the Texans are getting to know the new QBs for the Jaguars and Browns.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:40 AM
All-Pro

We wouldn't be hiding interest when we have the first pick. I think we're just trying to keep everyone guessing to keep the trade down alive.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:53 AM
All-Pro

I'm puzzled by the theorizing of several "draft analysts" who say the Rams in the #2 position are driving this Draft since nobody outside the Texans organization has a clue about who we are going to draft including even knowing if we intend to take a QB or non-QB ?
Old 04-08-2014, 09:50 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Anyone remember how much the Broncos talked to Jay Cutler before they drafted him? How about never?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...with-no-1-pick

So is the Texans' front office, even after the departure of HC Gary Kubiak, still South Denver? Yes, yes it is.

Seems to me the Texans are getting to know the new QBs for the Jaguars and Browns.
It would probably be too smart by half for somebody on the Texans to approach Bridgewater through his agent back in January and said "Look, son, now don't worry but we are going to make you our choice but we need you to help your future team."

"We want you to seem uninterested at the combine, maybe refuse to do some of the drills, then have a lackluster pro day. We don't want you to be terrible. Just tone it down a little while we try to sell the league on some other guys. That way, we can convince another team to trade up with us and we can still take you plus add some other good players in the process.

"When the time comes, we'll still pay you like a first overall pick but, until then, we're going to pretend to be uninterested in you and more impressed with other prospects so just lay low and don't worry if you don't hear from us."

A McNair team being that sneaky? Naw, I can't picture it.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:27 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
It would probably be too smart by half for somebody on the Texans to approach Bridgewater through his agent back in January and said "Look, son, now don't worry but we are going to make you our choice but we need you to help your future team."

"We want you to seem uninterested at the combine, maybe refuse to do some of the drills, then have a lackluster pro day. We don't want you to be terrible. Just tone it down a little while we try to sell the league on some other guys. That way, we can convince another team to trade up with us and we can still take you plus add some other good players in the process.

"When the time comes, we'll still pay you like a first overall pick but, until then, we're going to pretend to be uninterested in you and more impressed with other prospects so just lay low and don't worry if you don't hear from us."

I don't think we have the option to pay a later pick like a #1 overall. It is all slotted and we couldn't go over the small allowance within the slot. Bridgewater has absolutely no incentive there unless he was just dying to be a Texan. And if he was trying to control his destination he can do it more effectively from the #1 pick with more money in his pocket (like Eli).
Old 04-08-2014, 04:44 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I don't think we have the option to pay a later pick like a #1 overall. It is all slotted and we couldn't go over the small allowance within the slot.
Ah, but there are other ways of compensating a player than just money. Doesn't have to be in the contract. This isn't college. If I want my player to feel he's getting the best deal even though I'm drafting him at #4 or #5, I can work it out.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:45 PM
All-Pro

Interesting the Jags are bringing in four QBs to evaluate and none of them are Blake Bortles! Make of that what you wish.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...uars-wednesday
Old 04-08-2014, 04:52 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Ah, but there are other ways of compensating a player than just money. Doesn't have to be in the contract. This isn't college. If I want my player to feel he's getting the best deal even though I'm drafting him at #4 or #5, I can work it out.
So that's all it takes is a little secret compensation? It seems like 32 teams should have been doing that for years. We could still have Mario coming off the edge. Too bad nobody but Bob thought of that.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Regular Starter

If they gave him anything on value outside what’s in the contract or otherwise allowed they’d be hammered for circumventing the salary cap.

But even if they could, that would be a huge risk for Bridgewater to take. It seems like every year there is at least one player that talks about how certain teams have assured him that if he’s still on the board when the team picks they’ll take him, but when it’s their turn his phone doesn’t ring. Maybe their plans changed or maybe they lied so that some misinformation would be leaked, but either way a player would be foolish to put much stock in what a team tells him in that situation.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:

Bob, i thought i was the only one here with a source on the inside.
Well, since you're in the know, I'll fill you in some some crazy stuff owner Bob Mcnair is working on. He's supposed to be flying to Denver this weekend with Rick James, i mean Smith, and Bridgewater to smoke some killer green herb, then later get in a altercation with some police officers. After that, he'll definitely drop out of the first round.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:38 AM
Pro Bowler

There's no reason to hide interest in a player when you have the first pick. You get him if you want him, no one can jump in front of you. The only reason I can see that make sense for playing the 'hide my interest' game when holding the #1 pick is if you know you're trading down (say, with ATL) and you're trying to maximize the chances of him being there at that pick. That's certainly a possibility here, but IMO, if they don't bring in Bridgewater, I think it's more an indication that the Texans just don't like him and don't plan to draft him at any pick. They should still bring him though if for no other reason than to create a smokescreen and enhance their trade down possibilities.

As for the theory of asking a player to tank in order to drop down in the draft, would you really want a guy who would be dumb enough to do that?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:16 AM
All-Pro

My current theory is Texans should take Clowney. Best football player, best athlete, intangibles, position of need.

Whatever else is to make sure and cover possible options.

Sure we need a franchise QB. Looks like will need to develop him, not sure what round will pick a QB or two.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Administrator

The Texans are very likely ACTIVELY selling the top pick. So in a trade down scenario, they would absolutely want to keep their preferences hidden until a trade down scenario evaporates completely.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The Texans are very likely ACTIVELY selling the top pick. So in a trade down scenario, they would absolutely want to keep their preferences hidden until a trade down scenario evaporates completely.
But that makes no sense, as your own posts confirm. By Bridgewater being the odd man out of the top 3 QBs, it highlights him and leads to speculation like yours in this thread. Precisely what you wouldn't want. The easiest way for the Texans to keep their preferences hidden is to bring in pretty much all of the top guys (I think they are allowed to have 30 in-house visits).
Old 04-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
But that makes no sense, as your own posts confirm. By Bridgewater being the odd man out of the top 3 QBs, it highlights him and leads to speculation like yours in this thread. Precisely what you wouldn't want. The easiest way for the Texans to keep their preferences hidden is to bring in pretty much all of the top guys (I think they are allowed to have 30 in-house visits).
Nah, I'm smarter than the average NFL team to have this all figured out.

Though in all seriousness, bringing in all 3 (plus others like McCarron et al) would be the shark move.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:12 PM
All-Pro

28 more days of wild speculation and two more weeks predraft analysis than normal.

Looks like Texans going to LSU and Zak Mettenberger pro day.

And the Pitt QB Tom Savage getting some pub.

And a visit on Thursday by amother DE tomorrow according to StateoftheTexans
According to Gil Brandt (NFL.com Senior Analyst) the Houston Texans will be hosting defensive tackle Stephon Tuitt from Notre Dame on Thursday at NRG Stadium. The 6-5 and 304 lbs. defensive end is the prototypical five technique in new defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel’s 3-4 scheme.

Tuitt finished tied for third in Notre Dame history with 21.5 career sacks and is a run stuffing player from his position. In 35 games over three seasons at South Bend, Tuitt had 127 total tackles wit 21.5 sacks with 4 forced fumbles.

He is one of 30 pre draft visits the Texans will conduct prior to the 2014 NFL Draft and Tuitt is considered a 1st or 2nd round pick at the moment.

Last edited by Nconroe; 04-09-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:53 PM
All-Pro

Who the Texans take in the second could be just as critical as who they take in the first round. They should be paying due dilligence to those guys too.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:19 PM
All-Pro

True, so do we expect two impact players( one starter) and then two contributing players within three years to be a successful draft.

As roster stands top four needs are - perhaps DT, DE, ILB, QB?

Maybe we need to trade up rather than down to get better odds of good contributors?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:54 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
As roster stands top four needs are - perhaps DT, DE, ILB, QB?
Not me. RT, OG, NT, QB but that's not the order I would draft them in.