IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 02-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I do like his knitted caps.
Maybe you can get one now. The NCAA made him quit selling them.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:26 AM
All-Pro

Early 40 times coming back for DEs aren't impressive: 4.78 for Maybin & 4.84 for Kruger. On the other hand, as I recall everybody was disappointed with Suggs when he couldn't break 4.7 when he ran for us back in 2003 but he turned out OK.
BTW, why do many insist on calling Orakpo a tweener since he's a carved-up 263 ? 263 is not big enough to playe weakside DE ?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Veteran Depth

Conner Barwin 6'4" 256 lbs 4.56 forty, 40.5 vertical. Wow

Lawrence Sidbury 6'2" 266 lbs 4.53 forty. Not bad

Everett Brown 6'2" 256 lbs 4.63 forty. Not as tall as advertised. Not bad time.

Aaron Maybin 6'4" 249 lbs 4.78 forty. Not a wow.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Veteran Depth

Brian Orakpo 6'3" 263 lbs 4.63 forty. Nice

Stryker Sulak 6'4" 251 lbs 4.66 forty. Surprising
Old 02-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by idymoe View Post
Conner Barwin 6'4" 256 lbs 4.56 forty, 40.5 vertical. Wow

Lawrence Sidbury 6'2" 266 lbs 4.53 forty. Not bad

Everett Brown 6'2" 256 lbs 4.63 forty. Not as tall as advertised. Not bad time.

Maybin's time wasn't great but he sure looked explosive. And, he's added 15 lbs since December. And, from looking at him, most of that is muscle!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Veteran Depth

Do you know if Raji ran today? No time listed for him.

Nevermind. I see he ran a 5.13 at 337 lbs.

There is no time for Peria Jerry, though.

Ziggy Hood ran a 4.89 at 300 lbs and Dorrell Scott ran a 4.90 at 312 lbs. I would hate to try to stop that.

Last edited by idymoe; 02-23-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:21 PM
All-Pro

so Orakpo is bigger and faster than all of the guys that have been thrown around as possible picks the last month? Not to mention he out-played and out produced all of them.

It's amazing how the all-star/combine season can over analyze things until up is down and down is up.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:23 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Roy, yes I meant for every player. They have the information. Why not make it available to the geeks like us that pay their salaries. Seriously, if there weren't such a large fan base for pro football, a guy being miffed at only being guaranteed 10 million for one year would be unthinkable. I know there are fans everywhere that have some regional guy at the combine that they would like to know how he did, even if he weren't in the top performers.

PK, about Ian Johnson. I've watched about 90 percent of Ian Johnson's games, and he played a lot as a freshman. You say he doesn't play up to his speed, but how do you think he racked up all those yards and touchdowns. I know when you watch him, he doesn't look all that fast. He has always been a very patient runner, waiting for the blocks to develop. He has had many long runs in his career. I have seen a lot of these runs where I thought someone had the angle on him and Johnson just has a little left and runs past the guy. It's just surprising, because you don't see that top speed unless he is into the secondary. He's not really a juker and he doesn't run over guys, although he does break tackles because defenders don't end up with the angle on him they think they had. I am much more surprised by the muscle he has put on. He is a great guy, too. After the Fiesta Bowl, he had just about rock star status around Boise. This last year, he asked to play special teams and was an impact player, blocking a couple of punts. His carries were down significantly his junior and senior year, because of some really fast underclassmen. He never complained, just tried to do everything he possibly could to help the team.
In the same post you say he is faster than he looks and had plenty of speed to rack up yards. Then you mention later he lost carries to "really fast underclassmen." So which is it? If he is not fast when compared to other BSU RBs then he is not fast. If the BSU coaching staff who had him for 11 years (seemingly) does not think he is the best runner on their team then he is not that good.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Veteran Depth

He is fast. A kid named Avery is blazing fast. Chris Johnson fast. I'm sure he's too small to play in the NFL, but he is a great college back. He is under 180 pounds, but runs surprising well between the tackles. There is no contradiction. BSU's philosophy for many years has been to rotate in as many players as possible. Johnson's sophomore year where he carried the ball so much was not typical.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
The WRs were fast, but the only late round slot/KR/PR that I'm interested in is Mike Thomas.
Funny you mention Thomas... he is big-time on my radar. Seems like an awesome slot candidate with return ability. Big hands. Terrific quickness. Short, but thick enough. He could put David Anderson out of a job here, and I'm really starting to like Anderson's future.

Quote:
Brian Orakpo 6'3" 263 lbs 4.63 forty. Nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
so Orakpo is bigger and faster than all of the guys that have been thrown around as possible picks the last month? Not to mention he out-played and out produced all of them.

It's amazing how the all-star/combine season can over analyze things until up is down and down is up.
I have to agree. There seems to be some Orakpo bashing, but I like him. John McClain (parroting Kubiak I presume) keeps saying that the team won't go after a smallish RDE since that's Mario's position, but I like Mario at LDE better. I would be interested in knowing the splits from last year on RDE vs. LDE for Mario if anyone knows where to find them...

Quote:
That's faster than Terrell Suggs' forty time. Didn't seem to hurt him in the pros.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Veteran Depth

Just to clarify on Johnson's college career, then I promise I'll stop.

Carries Yards Long TD's

06-07

277 1755 59 25

07-08

207 1087 72 16
Jeremy Avery
103 698 50 8

08-09

150 810 69 13
Jeremy Avery
111 639 57 4

Johnson also caught 22 passes for 229 yds and a long of 51 in 08-09.

BSU passed a lot more in 08-09 than before. They switched up their offensive starting line just about every game, trying to find the best combination. Freshman quarterback Kellen Moore had an incredible year.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:57 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Funny you mention Thomas... he is big-time on my radar. Seems like an awesome slot candidate with return ability. Big hands. Terrific quickness. Short, but thick enough. He could put David Anderson out of a job here, and I'm really starting to like Anderson's future.
Then I don't like the guy. A curse on anyone who would hinder my ability to watch the string dance in an NFL endzone.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:52 PM
All-Pro

I dunno, but Matthews was maybe the most impressive LB out of USC, and not just as a value. Mayoc & crew seemed to think he was the best pass-rushing prospect of that LB group and even mentioned he was voted top USC STs player last 2 years. Lot of versatility. Also ran in the 4.6s (official), which
was a better time than Cushing recorded.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
I have to agree. There seems to be some Orakpo bashing, but I like him. John McClain (parroting Kubiak I presume) keeps saying that the team won't go after a smallish RDE since that's Mario's position, but I like Mario at LDE better. I would be interested in knowing the splits from last year on RDE vs. LDE for Mario if anyone knows where to find them...
I think McClain's FOS on this one.

1. Mario doesn't line up exclusively at RDE. They moved him all around the line last year. So, it's not like he will lose himself if he starts at LDE instead of RDE.

2. Mario is tailor-made for the LDE position. His pass rushing skills become that much more valuable from the LDE spot than the RDE spot. It's analogous to getting a catcher who can hit 30HR and .300. Sure, you could move him to first base, but it kind of takes away from his value being able to play behind the plate. If you keep Mario at RDE you are not taking full advantage of both his run stopping and pass rushing abilities.

3. Most importantly, we need a pass rush. Adding a(nother) LDE is simply not addressing our needs and really does not make a lick of sense.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Veteran Depth

Looks like Conner Barwin had the best shuttle and cone times, as well.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I think McClain's FOS on this one.

1. Mario doesn't line up exclusively at RDE. They moved him all around the line last year. So, it's not like he will lose himself if he starts at LDE instead of RDE.

2. Mario is tailor-made for the LDE position. His pass rushing skills become that much more valuable from the LDE spot than the RDE spot. It's analogous to getting a catcher who can hit 30HR and .300. Sure, you could move him to first base, but it kind of takes away from his value being able to play behind the plate. If you keep Mario at RDE you are not taking full advantage of both his run stopping and pass rushing abilities.
3. Most importantly, we need a pass rush. Adding a(nother) LDE is simply not addressing our needs and really does not make a lick of sense.
EXACTLY!- I just don't like to hear that stuff from McClain because he hints that he has a source inside the team. So, I remain slightly concerned that the Texans' actually are thinking that way as well. Though I think a lot of the organization now, I've still seen enough bone-headedness to stay worried: Studdard making the squad over Brandon Frye; employing Richard Smtih for a 3rd year and every defensive decision that went along with that.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:33 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I dunno, but Matthews was maybe the most impressive LB out of USC, and not just as a value. Mayoc & crew seemed to think he was the best pass-rushing prospect of that LB group and even mentioned he was voted top USC STs player last 2 years. Lot of versatility. Also ran in the 4.6s (official), which
was a better time than Cushing recorded.
Clay Matthews is going on my draft board. I'm just trying to figure out if I put him in the 1st round or 2nd round. I'll have to go back and watch some tape on him, since I kind of dismissed him. I was paying too much attention to Cushing and Rey Rey.

Matthews looks to be the guy that I was thinking Maybin or Brown could be based upon his and their measurables.

edit- I even typed "Cushing" when I meant Matthews the first time I posted this. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by Roy P; 02-23-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Looks like Conner Barwin had the best shuttle and cone times, as well.
Wow, did that guy have a big day. And he earned himself some big bucks.
I remember him from the Senior Bowl (primarily the one-on-one drills during the week), but he's got a real burst and did well against some of the big OLineman in those drills.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:04 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I have to agree. There seems to be some Orakpo bashing, but I like him. John McClain (parroting Kubiak I presume) keeps saying that the team won't go after a smallish RDE since that's Mario's position, but I like Mario at LDE better.

Lawrence Sidbury Jr. of Richmond is my biggest climber at the Combine. I'd be willing to use a 2nd rounder on this kid. He has the arms of a Condor and his speed is now unquestioned.

PK and I were discussing a combo of Maybin, Kruger, and Cody Brown. Now, I'm considering Matthews, Sidbury, and Gerald McGrath.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Veteran Depth

I just saw highlights of Conner Barwin's day. He runs really quiet for a big man. Mariucci said he played basketball at Cin. early on and caught 53 passes at tight end. He looks very athletic and has already shown quite a bit of versitility. I'm thinking he goes before our 2nd pick, so I don't think we'll have a shot at him.

Sidbuby would have to really jump to move past our 2nd, so if you wanted to spend a 2 on him, I think he will be there.