IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2020, 07:01 PM
All-Pro

Where was this Hansen kid hiding? He seemed to come out of nowhere.

Oh, well. By choking, the Texans improved the draft position....of the Dolphins.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:53 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Watching that finish makes one think over some of the most heart-wrenching losses in franchise history. The Rosencopter. The Fail Mary against the Jags.

Watson seemed to suffer emotionally after the game, perhaps because he accepted some or all of the blame on the fumbled snap. Looking back on the season, it's not hard to see this as an 8-4 team, but clearly there are some unforgiveable weaknesses that make it easy to see why they are 4-8. It's mostly an 8-8 league where just a couple plays separate the teams in and out of the playoffs.

The success of Keke Coutee is just the latest in a line of demonstrating how poorly Bill O'Brien and the staff have squandered talent. Why did the team pay for Randall Cobb with Coutee already on the roster? How could Kenny Still be so under-utilized as well? How terrible O'Brien was at evaluating talent at all of the offensive skill positions.
I think Watson will be fine. And I bet he never takes a snap for granted again. I've seen him rescue bad snaps before.... Not sure if Martin was worried about his blocking assignment or what but he's done this before. Snapping to a shotgun QB isn't rocket science - shouldn't be that tough to hit the QB's waist area consistently.

I was happy for Hansen. I love a good cinderella story (cinderfella?). He got to show his stuff and he showed well. His route running was good. Frequently, guys like him ride the pine simply because the guy(s) in front of them make more money. In the NFL, it's "he makes more than you do and has experience". In college it's "he's a senior, he starts". I'm not fond of that mindset. Unless players like him get to see action, you'll never know what they can do. Some receivers have a knack for getting open - maybe he's got the gene. The Texans should take a longer look at him because if they don't, someone else will give him a chance... He's on the radar screen, now....
Old 12-08-2020, 07:13 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Where was this Hansen kid hiding? He seemed to come out of nowhere.

Oh, well. By choking, the Texans improved the draft position....of the Dolphins.
Yea white boy Chad with his size & hands has the potential, has the makings of being a decent possession receiver for the Texans, and also looks like he was running some respectable routes.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:03 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Not sure if Martin was worried about his blocking assignment or what but he's done this before. Snapping to a shotgun QB isn't rocket science - shouldn't be that tough to hit the QB's waist area consistently.
It *ought* to be easy except if you're actually the one doing it. The center has to a) call the blocking assignments, b) listen for the snap count, c) stick your head upside down to see the target you are snapping to and d) prepare for the bull rush of some 300-pound behemoth hoping to steamroll you on the way to your quarterback...all within a matter of seconds. Plus the play may change. Do you need to watch for the blitzing LB? Do you need to help out some weak-ass guard with a double-team because he's facing an all-pro?

Part of the problem is you can be money with the snap 99% of the time but the one time it's off, everybody notices. I'm really NOT making an excuse for Martin. He's a professional and he has to get it right every time, no excuses. But it isn't as simple as duck and snap. There's a lot that needs to be processed and reactions made in a matter of a few seconds.

BTW, I think NBA players should hit all of their free throws at the end of a game for the very same reason. They're professionals and they should get it right every time, no excuses. No defensive tackle is breathing down the shooter's neck to turn him into road kill right after the release either. It should be EASY. Hell, they practice it enough. Or at least they used to practice it back in the day. Maybe they have kneeling practice now, I haven't watched them in years.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:17 PM
All-Pro

You’re commenting on games you don’t watch?

Somehow that seems about right.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Not sure if Martin was worried about his blocking assignment or what
He should have been more worried about it... he completely blew it after the snap, which is how the Colts were able to jump on the ball so quickly.

RAC commented something to the effect of - one snap won't define you - and he's got a point, but that was brutal.

In the moment I was advocating for the Colts to let the Texans just score there (or on the play before) to give them more time on the clock to get into field goal range for a winning kick.

Bad snaps are always a possibility though. It's why teams will kick a game winning FG on third down, just to account for that scenario.

The upshot to this shitty season ought to be a somewhat easier schedule in 2021.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:11 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You’re commenting on games you don’t watch?

Somehow that seems about right.
Feliz Dia de las Madres to you too.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:23 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Feliz Dia de las Madres to you too.
Oye tu sae le pasamo bien chévere!
Old 12-11-2020, 12:59 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Oye tu sae le pasamo bien chévere!
Chevere?

Chevere. Is that right mama? 'Cause I got my shakin' room...

(Intro to Stevie Wonder's "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing" - 1973 - which became the anthem for one of the overnight carrier services later on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsBc5p-dPU )
Old 12-11-2020, 07:27 PM
All-Pro

Now we're getting somewhere. Innervisions is a flawless record, one of like four or five he had in a row in the first half of the 70's.

Here's another song strong on the chéveres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ2Q_mp5o5A

The chévere part starts in at about 3:00 but I strongly encourage a full listen.