IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Faneca on the Radar?

Wouldn't be a bad signing on the cheap...

Quote:
Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2010 6:49 PM ET
With veteran Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca now available, count the Texans among the potential suitors. According to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, the teams is "checking out" the former Steeler and Jet.

McClain points out that Faneca went to high school outside Houston, which could make a return to the area more attractive.

He's owed $5.25 million in guaranteed money from the Jets, which could make him more inclined to play for the veteran minimum. Then again, it's still an uncapped year -- and if two or more teams are interested Faneca could spark an auction. Besides, we reported on Saturday that Faneca was cut after he refused to take a pay cut. If he wanted to make something at or close to the veteran minimum, he could have simply stayed in New York.

So whether it's the Texans or the Bears or the Cardinals or someone else, look for Faneca to do better than the bottom dollar to which he'd be entitled under the labor agreement.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:51 PM
All-Pro

Interesting. As long he can execute the blocking scheme, I think he'd be a big addition, especially in terms of attitude.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Pro Bowler

AT 33 years of age Faneca may be approaching that time in his life where he just can't take the rigors of an NFL life.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Veteran Depth

Imagine how you would feel if Amobi got 6.5 sacks. Now take that feeling and reverse it. That is how you shoul feel about acquiring a guard who blocks the run well, but gave up 6.5 sacks.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:58 PM
All-Pro

I found this interesting, by sacks allowed Texans had fifth best OL in 2009-10.
We also had pretty near the youngest line of all teams.

Jets, where Faneca comes from, allowed more sacks and passed a lot less.

Of course they ran the ball more effectively. Scheme or personnel?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...true&Submit=Go

Teams who allowed the fewest sacks at the end of the regular season
Indianapolis Colts 13 sacks allowed pass 63% of their plays run 37% of their plays
Tennessee Titans 15 sacks allowed pass 50% of their plays run 50% of their plays
New England Patriots 18 sacks allowed pass 57% of their plays run 43% of their plays
New Orleans Saints 20 sacks allowed pass 55% of their plays run 45% of their plays
Houston Texans 25 sacks allowed pass 60% of their plays run 40% of their plays
San Diego Chargers 25 sacks allowed pass 57% of their plays run 43% of their plays
Arizona Cardinals 26 sacks allowed pass 62% of their plays run 38% of their plays
Atlanta Falcons 27 sacks allowed pass 57% of their plays run 43% of their plays
Cincinnati Bengals 29 sacks allowed pass 51% of their plays run 49% of their plays
New York Jets 30 sacks allowed pass 42% of their plays run 58% of their plays
Cleveland Browns 30 sacks allowed pass 49% of their plays run 51% of their plays
New York Giants 32 sacks allowed pass 57% of their plays run 43% of their plays
Carolina Panthers 32 sacks allowed pass 49% of their plays run 51% of their plays
Miami Dolphins 33 sacks allowed pass 54% of their plays run 46% of their plays
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 33 sacks allowed pass 58% of their plays run 42% of their plays
Dallas Cowboys 34 sacks allowed pass 58% of their plays run 42% of their plays
Minnesota Vikings 34 sacks allowed pass 56% of their plays run 42% of their plays
Denver Broncos 34 sacks allowed pass 58% of their plays run 42% of their plays
Chicago Bears 35 sacks allowed pass 62% of their plays run 38% of their plays
Baltimore Ravens 36 sacks allowed pass 54% of their plays run 46% of their plays
Philadelphia Eagles 38 sacks allowed pass 61% of their plays run 39% of their plays
San Francisco 49ers 40 sacks allowed pass 61% of their plays run 39% of their plays
Seattle Seahawks 41 sacks allowed pass 63% of their plays run 37% of their plays
Jacksonville Jaguars 42 sacks allowed pass 54% of their plays run 44% of their plays
Kansas City Chiefs 42 sacks allowed pass 58% of their plays run 42% of their plays
St. Louis Rams 44 sacks allowed pass 59% of their plays run 41% of their plays
Washington Redskins 45 sacks allowed pass 60% of their plays run 40% of their plays
Buffalo Bills 46 sacks allowed pass 54% of their plays run 46% of their plays
Detroit Lions 47 sacks allowed pass 61% of their plays run 39% of their plays
Oakland Raiders 49 sacks allowed pass 57% of their plays run 43% of their plays
Pittsburgh Steelers 50 sacks allowed pass 58% of their plays run 42% of their plays
Green Bay Packers 51 sacks allowed pass 58% of their plays run 42% of their plays
Old 04-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Joe View Post
Imagine how you would feel if Amobi got 6.5 sacks. Now take that feeling and reverse it. That is how you shoul feel about acquiring a guard who blocks the run well, but gave up 6.5 sacks.
My personal opinion, that is a loaded stat. I would put Schaub and our recievers up against Sanchez and the Jets receivers 7 days a week. Linemen get "blamed" for sacks even though it is not always thier fault. QB hangs onto the ball too long, coverage sacks, etc.

The dude, even at 33 is a baller, and would give us the type of push we need up the middle to score from the damn 1 yard line. If he gives up a sack once every four games, but lets Tate run thru 4 times from the 1, we win in that signing.

Just my thoughts.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Regular Starter

While the money probably has to be right, I don't see any downside to this and it has the potential to be a significant upgrade. Quite frankly, after trotting out Myers, Studdard, etc. last year, it boggles my mind that people think someone like Faneca can't help this team. If someone like Faneca isn't worth considering, I'm honestly curious as to who would be. Sure there are some minor concerns but anyone who gets cut will have something you can point to, otherwise they wouldn't be cut. However, it ain't like if we just wait long enough someone will cut a 26 year old pro bowler with a mean streak on the field and a heart of gold off it.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:59 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
My personal opinion, that is a loaded stat. I would put Schaub and our recievers up against Sanchez and the Jets receivers 7 days a week. Linemen get "blamed" for sacks even though it is not always thier fault. QB hangs onto the ball too long, coverage sacks, etc.

The dude, even at 33 is a baller, and would give us the type of push we need up the middle to score from the damn 1 yard line. If he gives up a sack once every four games, but lets Tate run thru 4 times from the 1, we win in that signing.

Just my thoughts.
Faneca was protecting a rookie quarterback in a "don't lose the game for us" offense. I would presume Sanchez held onto the ball too long at times and was told not to throw a pick at all costs at others. I wouldn't get too worked up over the Jets' sack totals last season.

And I agree that we need two guys we can run behind in this line that can get us the tough yard on third-and-one or third-and-goal. Don't care which two guys those are but we weren't getting any surge most of the year when we needed it most.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Pro Bowler

Anyway you look at this, Faneca would be an upgrade for our Oline. Not to mention veteran leadership for Caldwell.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Regular Starter

I agree that Schaub had a lot to do with that number. Unlike HWWNBN, Schaub is very good at finding open receivers. He rarely pulls the ball down. Also, he's not afraid to just throw the ball away. In a strange way, his lack of mobility has been an asset. It has forced him to learn to get rid of the ball.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
My personal opinion, that is a loaded stat.
Just my thoughts.
The Jets ran 1047 plays and the Texans ran 1063 plays. Not all plays are created equal. Some teams are more likely to pass on 3rd and 5 than others, thus defenses more likely to blitz those teams. Now, over the duration of a season, we may find an equalization of those situations. Just crunching the numbers.....

The Jets were sacked 2.86% of their plays.
The Texans were sacked 2.35% of theirs.

I'll take the guy who has gone to Pro-Bowls and can create holes to run through over Studdard.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
I'll take the guy who has gone to Pro-Bowls and can create holes to run through over Studdard.
Very similar logic got the Texans Ahman Green....

Faneca accounted for over 20% of their sacks allowed and he has the same rookie QB that the rest of the Jets line had to deal with. I'm hopeful that Tate will start at RB. Having a guard weak at pass blocking may make the Texans less willing to let Tate learn pass blocking on the job.

I'd have no problem getting Faneca at league minimum, but would probably only use him in short yardage situations.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Regular Starter

Couple of points, I'm confused by the insinuation that 20% represents some excessive percentage. An offensive line is 5 guys so if they each gave up the same amount of sacks, each would be responsible for 20%. Not sure how you concluded that 20% was some out of proportion amount.

As others have pointed out (and as us Texans fans should be painfully aware), there are many reasons for sacks to occur and I think it is somewhat simplistic to just pull up his sacks allowed and base an opinion on that. For instance, I pulled up Steve Hutchinson (generally considered the best guard in football) and here are his career sacks allowed -

2001 7.00
2002 0.00 (only played 4 games)
2003 5.00
2004 3.00
2005 1.25
2006 4.50
2007 3.00
2008 7.00
2009 3.50

Even Hutchinson has averaged over 4 sacks allowed per year for his career and gave up 7 2 years ago. I hope Steve Hutchinson would still be on most people's radar even after giving up 7 sacks in 2008.

Although I admit it is little more than a popularity contest, Faneca is a multiple pro bowler, and I've never heard anyone say that Faneca is not an above average, if not elite, guard. While I might not want to break the bank for him, I can't see how anyone can argue that he simply doesn't have enough on-the-field ability to challenge even Kasey Studdard.

And I think the Ahman Green analogy is misplaced. Green was a known injury risk as well as over-the-hill. It was a calculated risk that failed but I think most people knew that risk was there. Faneca, on the other hand, is only 33 and offensive linemen are often productive into their mid, if not late, 30s. Just don't see the comparison unless you think anyone we consider over the age of 30 can be stuck with the "very similar logic got the Texans Ahman Green" card.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:28 AM
All-Pro

If the money is right this is a no brainer. And as long as no long term committment is required in the form of gauranteed money counting towards future years, I would even pay him well this year.

The beauty of the NFL is that you send them all to training camp and let them determine who the best player is. Just like when we signed Roosevelt Colvin a few years ago. As long as you are not putting a long term committment out there you always bring in the vet. Then you hope the young guys are good enough to beat him out, and if they aren't you have improved your team.

The Ahman Green signing was far different in that it was early in FA and it falsely convinced the Texans they could stand pat at RB through the remainder of FA and the draft. This signing would come after all of our moves and it didn't keep us from making other moves at guard.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:33 AM
All-Pro

Alan Faneca if signed would replace Studdard and play left guard, that's the plan ? Oh and this is off the topic, but I've always wondered why our least athletic guard plays the position generally acknowledged to be the more athletically demanding position ( between left & rfight guard ) ?
So anyway the scenario with Faneca at LG has who at the remaining 2 interior OLine positions among Briesel (assuming he's fully recovered from injury), Wade Smith, Myers, and Caldwell with the understanding that Smith & Caldwell can play either center or RG ?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:20 AM
All-Pro

I'd go along with Barrett's scenario, invite him in to camp, offer him a good salary if he makes it through training camp.

There are definitely references out there saying he has lost a step and has not pass protected as well as he used to, but run blocking is still considered top notch.

on the math/statistics -
Texans passed 60% of their 1062 plays which is 637 plays you can get sacked on. overall Texans allowed 25 sacks and Studdard allowed 5 of these.
so Studdard allowed 637/5 or 1 sack every 127 pass plays, not bad.

Jets passed on 42% of 1047 plays which is 439 pass plays. overall Jets allowed 30 sacks and Faneca allowed 7 of those. so Faneca allowed 439/7 or 1 sack every 62 pass plays.

if you were to compare the 2009 numbers - Faneca allowed more than double the sacks as Studdard per pass play.

if we are a passing team first, might not be such a great idea.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Regular Starter

I would rather bring back (health pending) Chester Pitts. Although Faneca might be able to bring something in terms of attitude and experience.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post

Texans passed 60% of their 1062 plays which is 637 plays you can get sacked on. overall Texans allowed 25 sacks and Studdard allowed 5 of these.
so Studdard allowed 637/5 or 1 sack every 127 pass plays, not bad.

Jets passed on 42% of 1047 plays which is 439 pass plays. overall Jets allowed 30 sacks and Faneca allowed 7 of those. so Faneca allowed 439/7 or 1 sack every 62 pass plays.

if you were to compare the 2009 numbers - Faneca allowed more than double the sacks as Studdard per pass play.
Without rehashing earlier comments, sacks allowed has many moving parts beside the lineman and it's difficult to draw definitive conclusions about each lineman's play from this.

Secondly, these numbers are meaningless unless you know how many of these snaps Faneca and Studdard played. I know we didn't start the year with Studdard in the starting lineup so your numbers need to be adjusted for the actual snaps Studdard played.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Regular Starter

Another thing to consider. The Jets offensive line is generally considered to be one of the best in the league. Yet, not just Faneca but their line as a whole gave up more sacks than the Texans' line despite fewer passing attempts. Seems as though you can draw one of two conclusions from this. One, the Texans actually had a better OL than the Jets (at least at pass protecting), or two, some other factors were contributing to the Jets' sack total. I think you would be hardpressed to find anyone in the NFL who would take last year's Texan OL over the Jets OL, so I'm inclined to go with No. 2.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:52 PM
All-Pro

According the the NFLnetwork guy, the one that used to be the GM of the Raiders forget his name, the front runner is the Browns and Eric Mangini was the HC that signed Faneca to the huge deal and would be happy to have him again.

Plus they are reporting that Faneca will not take a cut in pay but wants to double dip as much as he can from this season.

Good bye Texans. They are trying the Drayton McLane school of signing a FAQ, offer him less the the other teams and beg him to come play for you.