IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 05-09-2014, 01:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Someone's bound to want to trade up to nab a QB before pick #33. Unless the Texans want Mallett, QB must be a strong consideration with their next pick.
Sonofabitch. So damn close to Teddy. Obviously, I must have liked him in this offense more than the Texans. For all I know, he'll bust with the Vikings, but I think he would have been a terrific fit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
As for Mallett I'm with everyone who is suspicious of taking any quarterback that Belichick willingly parts with.
Not only that (Cassel), but consider too that Mallett has been groomed in their offense for a couple seasons, and Tom Brady at 37 isn't going to be around forever. So... letting him walk in a contract year for a 3rd? Hm.

Compared with the QB options remaining in the draft, I can't say though that Mallett would be that much worse in 2014 than anyone on the board. He'd be a vet, and he'd know the offense.

I'll say this... the Texans were successful in avoiding a repeat of the 2002 draft, a year in which Peppers should have been the pick but the team forced David Carr up their board. Clowney ought to be a playmaker in what should hopefully be decent defense this season.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:34 AM
All-Pro

Quote:

Clowney ought to be a playmaker in what should hopefully be decent defense this season.
It looks to "potentially" be a stellar defense "on paper". Clowney, JJ, Cushing, Mercilus, Jonathon J., and Kareem are all first rounders. But that's on paper,
and it's gonna be challenging to fit all of those pieces together. And it's hard to see all of those guys on the field with either Cushing or Mercilus or both on the bench in some nickel/dime packages and that's not wise to have that first-round cap sitting on the bench.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Sonofabitch. So damn close to Teddy. Obviously, I must have liked him in this offense more than the Texans. For all I know, he'll bust with the Vikings, but I think he would have been a terrific fit here.

Not only that (Cassel), but consider too that Mallett has been groomed in their offense for a couple seasons, and Tom Brady at 37 isn't going to be around forever. So... letting him walk in a contract year for a 3rd? Hm.

Compared with the QB options remaining in the draft, I can't say though that Mallett would be that much worse in 2014 than anyone on the board. He'd be a vet, and he'd know the offense.

I'll say this... the Texans were successful in avoiding a repeat of the 2002 draft, a year in which Peppers should have been the pick but the team forced David Carr up their board. Clowney ought to be a playmaker in what should hopefully be decent defense this season.
Basically my thoughts. I think Bridgewater will be a starting NFL QB, but surprised he dropped as low as he did.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
It looks to "potentially" be a stellar defense "on paper". Clowney, JJ, Cushing, Mercilus, Jonathon J., and Kareem are all first rounders. But that's on paper,
and it's gonna be challenging to fit all of those pieces together. And it's hard to see all of those guys on the field with either Cushing or Mercilus or both on the bench in some nickel/dime packages and that's not wise to have that first-round cap sitting on the bench.
We'll see how this goes. On paper, the defense looks good but there is no reason to be hopeful that we will get anything more than average QB play at best. So, even with a good D, I don't see this team doing much next year. And probably before we do get some decent QB play, several of these guys will be gone because we can't afford to keep them all. Feels like we're simply retracing Kubiak's footsteps. Wish I could be optimistic but I'm not.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:55 PM
All-Pro

I'm taking optimistic approach for now, give the new coaches and players atleast 8 real games.

Salary cap has started to go up with new TV deals so hopefully can start to keep more of their own.

Some of the younger guys will start to be getting 3 years experience this year, including wide receivers and OL.

Still 10 more guys to draft and then more UDFA and FA and training camp and preseason and see where we are when games start in September.

if defense is really good, mostly pretty young, getting close to overall very good team then.

For sure this coaching staff has a way different approach and thinking from previous regime, from what see so far.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:59 PM
All-Pro

Maybe we'll have a coaching staff than can win a red-flag challenge...
Old 05-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Pro Bowler

EDIT: Posted in the wrong thread.

Last edited by popanot; 05-09-2014 at 06:21 PM.