IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Default Replay Review of Jacoby's TD

I just watched the "Official Review" segment on the NFL Network's Total Access show, and they said that there was an article on the website where they would describe why Jacoby's TD catch was upheld.

I have scoured nfl.com and cannot find this article anywhere. I'm really interested to see what distinguished Jacoby's catch from Murphy's TD catch for the Raiders that was overuled as incomplete.

Was anyone able to find the link?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Regular Starter

I dont have the link but I believe the answer to that question was that Murphy's catch was in the endzone. Jacoby caught the ball before he was swung into the endzone therefore possession was established before the ball crossed the plane. If you have possession before crossing the plane then it doesnt matter if the ball gets knocked out or anything. The play ends once you cross the plane.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Great explanation! That makes perfect sense, I hadn't thought about the fact that he had possession in the field of play...

Glad that Jacoby had the rulebook on his side for both of those close ones.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:38 PM
All-Pro

this link has video of all scores/highlights for both teams with analysis.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/200909...tans#tab:watch

fun watching all the scores again, atleast the Texans scores.

they have several videos from the game you can watch there

for JJ's TD they cover the catch and score was as explained above by Fonz.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Thanks!!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 07:26 AM
Pro Bowler

Has NFLN shown the game on Replay? Every time I flick over to NFLN and Replay is on its either the Bears/Steelers (which wasn't that great of a game) or the Cowpies/Giants. I would think the Texans game as well as the Colts/Phins game would be Replay worthy. Maybe I'm just not catching it at the right time...
Old 09-24-2009, 08:36 AM
All-Pro

Yeah, NFLN had it on replay Tuesday evening.

here is schedule, might be on this afternoon, but they don't name the teams.
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/networkschedule
Old 09-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Has NFLN shown the game on Replay? Every time I flick over to NFLN and Replay is on its either the Bears/Steelers (which wasn't that great of a game) or the Cowpies/Giants. I would think the Texans game as well as the Colts/Phins game would be Replay worthy. Maybe I'm just not catching it at the right time...
Yepper. It was the first game on Tuesday night. I didn't catch it until 4Qtr..... I like the replays, as it throws some commentary in it regarding specific situations.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Hall of Fame

Here's Mike Pereira's explanation of the TD catch in a "bonus" segment:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos...bonus-coverage

Also, Pereira explains JJ's fair catch here:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...-Review-Week-2
Old 09-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Regular Starter

That's pretty much what I was screaming to the TV when they reviewed it...he held onto to the ball through the first contact with the ground, it wasn't until after rolling over Finnegan that he lost the ball.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Pro Bowler

Leave it to J.J. to make routine things seems like mountains. I was good on the TD, but until I heard the explanation, I thought we had got away with one. So the rule on the faircatch is that the receiver has the opportunity to make a "faircatch" even if he bobbles the ball until the ball hits the ground! But it didn't hit the ground because the opponent grabbed it out of the air, thus saving Jocobie's bacon, to say nothing of his ass!
Old 09-25-2009, 01:08 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Leave it to J.J. to make routine things seems like mountains. I was good on the TD, but until I heard the explanation, I thought we had got away with one. So the rule on the faircatch is that the receiver has the opportunity to make a "faircatch" even if he bobbles the ball until the ball hits the ground! But it didn't hit the ground because the opponent grabbed it out of the air, thus saving Jocobie's bacon, to say nothing of his ass!
You are correct sir!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Pro Bowler

Speaking of the Titans game PK, what did you think of Cushing's 10 TFL? Do you still maintain he wasn't a good #1 draft choice for us?
Old 09-25-2009, 03:45 PM
All-Pro

Cushing had 10 TFL??? 10 tackles maybe but not tackles for loss.

EDIT: I checked the stats - he had 10 total tackles (not tackles for loss) - 7 individual tackles and three assists.

I liked the fact that he shut down some screen plays. It's too early, though, to judge if he'll be worth a first-rounder. Way too early.

Last edited by HPF Bob; 09-25-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Pro Bowler

You are ever so correct HPF, my bad!
Old 09-25-2009, 06:07 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post

EDIT: I checked the stats - he had 10 total tackles (not tackles for loss) - 7 individual tackles and three assists.

I liked the fact that he shut down some screen plays. It's too early, though, to judge if he'll be worth a first-rounder. Way too early.
I missed seeing the game live - I was out of town but recorded it and just watched it after getting home and wow, it was a hellava game !
Anyway, Cushing was very impressive especially considering it was only his second NFL game including preseason games.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post

I agree its to early to judge him yet but I have to say I wasnt as impressed with his performance as others seem to be. I missed the game because my DVR got reset somehow and I was in Glaveston. I watched the game on NFL replay so I may of missed some of his good plays seeing how they skip a few plays here and there. WUWT???

Anyway I seen him miss a couple of tackles he should of had and didnt see him have any real impact on the game but considering its only his second game I think he did ok. I had people telling me "wait till you see the game he had, man he was impressive!". I didnt think he did anything anymore impressive than Dyles and we got him in the 7th round.

I want to see him become a difference maker. I want big plays like FF's and big hits that fire up the D. Until I see that on a regular basis Im sticking with it was a mistake taking him over Oher.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:58 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I agree its to early to judge him yet but I have to say I wasnt as impressed with his performance as others seem to be. I missed the game because my DVR got reset somehow and I was in Glaveston. I watched the game on NFL replay so I may of missed some of his good plays seeing how they skip a few plays here and there. WUWT???
Man, what did you expect the kid to do in only his second game and without most of training camp??? He only had the best game of any LB on the field last Sunday, IMO. I noticed him making more plays than Demeco - and that's saying a lot. I don't mean that as knock on Demeco, but when was the last time one of our LB's overshadowed Demeco's effort? I thought Cush had a great game and am extremely encouraged by what I saw. He was out of position at times, but he was snuffing the screens like a mad man and was in the action all over the field. Another thing I liked was his intensity. He was looking to punish people and was also encouraging his teammates when they made a play. A+, IMO.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Man, what did you expect the kid to do in only his second game and without most of training camp??? He only had the best game of any LB on the field last Sunday, IMO. I noticed him making more plays than Demeco - and that's saying a lot. I don't mean that as knock on Demeco, but when was the last time one of our LB's overshadowed Demeco's effort? I thought Cush had a great game and am extremely encouraged by what I saw. He was out of position at times, but he was snuffing the screens like a mad man and was in the action all over the field. Another thing I liked was his intensity. He was looking to punish people and was also encouraging his teammates when they made a play. A+, IMO.
Like I said I watched the game on NFL replay and they skip plays here and there so maybe I missed some of his plays, I dont know. From what I seen people are over reacting about his performance. I only seen him snuff one screen play. There were a total of 3 plays were I thought he looked really good. There were 2 plays I thought he looked really bad. I just didnt see the dominate performance everyone keeps describing.

Hell Tennessee scored 31 points on us. No one had a great game on D IMO. Once again from what I saw on NFL replay he had a good game especially considering he missed most of preseason and this is only his second game. Just not a game where I am wowed like so many seem to be.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:57 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Speaking of the Titans game PK, what did you think of Cushing's 10 TFL? Do you still maintain he wasn't a good #1 draft choice for us?
As Bob said it's to early. We have played 4 fake games and 2 real ones, he did play the real games. But he already showing signs he going to have to be handled different then the other Lbs.