IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 02-23-2018, 07:09 PM
All-Pro

Default Texans add a 3rd, two 6ths in comp picks

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...s-big-winners/

The comp picks have been announce and the Texans will be adding a third round choice (pick 98) and two sixth-rounders (picks 211 and 214).

These will be important because the Texans have no first or second rounders due to the Brock Osweiler trade and the trade up to get his replacement, Deshaun Watson.

When the dust settles, their eight picks look like this:

3rd Round (68th overall)
3rd Round (80th overall, from Seattle)
3rd Round (98th overall, compensatory)
4th Round (103rd overall)
6th Round (177th overall)
6th Round (211th overall, compensatory)
6th Round (214th overall, compensatory)
7th Round (222nd overall)

It would not surprise me if the Texans package a third plus the second rounder they obtained for 2019 and move into the second round this year to grab someone they feel they have to have.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:06 AM
All-Pro

Can the comp 3rds be traded or only their 3rds?
Old 02-24-2018, 01:34 PM
All-Pro

I believe it was determined last year that comp picks could be tradeable beginning with this year's draft - true of any round.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:01 AM
Hall of Fame

Best trade-up scenario to me is use #68 and #80 to move up in the 2nd round's #46-#49 range. Works well on the draft value chart. Jets have two picks in the 2nd round and one @ #49....

Otherwise, stay put and get all the bodies you can.....
Old 02-26-2018, 11:15 AM
All-Pro

We have two #2s next year and I would be happy taking one with one of this year's thirds and parlaying that for the lower 2nd of the Jets (#47). This way, we have no first, a mid-round 2nd and two thirds which makes for a decent draft if you can't have a first.

BTW, when I last tried this on Fanspeak, I had my choice at #47 on Will Hernandez of UTEP and Billy Price of Ohio State. Both are guards and we can certainly use one.

Last edited by HPF Bob; 02-27-2018 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:52 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
We have two #2s next year and I would be happy taking one with one of this year's thirds and parlaying that for the lower 2nd of the Jets (#47). This way, we have no first, a mid-round 2nd and two thirds which makes for a decent draft if you can't have a first.

BTW, when I last tried this on Fanspeak, I had my choice at #47 on Will Hernandez of UTEP and Billy ---- of Ohio State. Both are guards and we can certainly use one.
Ya, good idea. I didn't consider "borrowing" from 2019...
Old 03-24-2018, 02:29 AM
Hall of Fame

From last Saturday:
Quote:
Rich Cimini
ESPN Staff Writer
The Jets must really want to draft a quarterback. On Saturday morning, they announced a blockbuster trade with the Colts. They moved up from six to three, giving up their two second-round picks this year (37 and 49) and their second rounder in 2019. Had a feeling this would happen based on rumblings around the team; just didn't think it would happen this soon.
All those 2's to move up three spots? I suppose it's worth it if you find that franchise QB.... Jets also acquired Bridgewater....

Jets no longer picking in the 2nd round. Colts and Browns now have three picks each in the 2nd round. Might make trading up more difficult for the Texans if they have to deal with the Colts....
Old 03-24-2018, 12:38 PM
All-Pro

I don't think the Texans can expect cooperation from the Colts, but the Browns are another matter. The 32nd pick of round 2 is not enough of a jump to sacrifice the 4th pick of round 3 so we should target the 3rd pick of Round 2 (ironically the one we gave up to get Watson).

In Fanspeak, if I offer the 4th pick of Rd3, the 35th pick of Round 6 and the 2nd rounder in 2019 we acquired for Duane Brown, it always accepts the offer. Then we're just outside of the first round and still have two later picks in Round 3.

Some would say just take your losses and start your day in Round 3. You can but there will be a lot of talent fall off the board by that time.

At present, I think our greatest need is a tight end to groom to replace Fido and give Watson that needed bail-out target. Safety was a big need before we signed Honey Badger but I would only see him as a one-year commitment and should still draft one early. We signed three offensive linemen in free agency but I would still want to draft one. There are several OT candidates in the draft who are not the complete package but might be developed. I've seen Oklahoma's Orlando Brown falling into the third round in some mocks. He was slated to be a mid-first rounder until he stunk up the combine (slowest 40 time in years). He's still has major RT ability.

Although we added Cunningham last year to team with McKinney at ILB, a pick for depth to replace Cushing would also be a wise draft pick in later rounds.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:16 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
I don't think the Texans can expect cooperation from the Colts, but the Browns are another matter. The 32nd pick of round 2 is not enough of a jump to sacrifice the 4th pick of round 3 so we should target the 3rd pick of Round 2 (ironically the one we gave up to get Watson).

In Fanspeak, if I offer the 4th pick of Rd3, the 35th pick of Round 6 and the 2nd rounder in 2019 we acquired for Duane Brown, it always accepts the offer. Then we're just outside of the first round and still have two later picks in Round 3.

Some would say just take your losses and start your day in Round 3. You can but there will be a lot of talent fall off the board by that time.

At present, I think our greatest need is a tight end to groom to replace Fido and give Watson that needed bail-out target. Safety was a big need before we signed Honey Badger but I would only see him as a one-year commitment and should still draft one early. We signed three offensive linemen in free agency but I would still want to draft one. There are several OT candidates in the draft who are not the complete package but might be developed. I've seen Oklahoma's Orlando Brown falling into the third round in some mocks. He was slated to be a mid-first rounder until he stunk up the combine (slowest 40 time in years). He's still has major RT ability.

Although we added Cunningham last year to team with McKinney at ILB, a pick for depth to replace Cushing would also be a wise draft pick in later rounds.
Brown wasn't just the slowest 40 in years, he was the slowest 40, the worst vertical, one of the worst bench presses, and he got kicked out of the OL drills for loafing. He is not the world's worst athlete, he just prepared for the biggest job interview he'll ever have in his life by getting wildly out of shape. That's a giant red flag that goes way beyond athleticism. I'd draft a slow guy but I wouldn't draft a lazy guy. If a guy won't work with millions of dollars at stake he's not going to all of a sudden work on a 3rd round rookie deal. Especially a guy who isn't real hungry and probably doesn't need the money since he grew up well off.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:58 PM
All-Pro

He's definitely not hungry.

I'm sure by the sixth round, SOMEBODY will take the chance on him.