IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
I am impressed with Brandon Graham, but I think he's a 3/4 OLB. If he played on the Texans, we'd need to play him at the SAM, and that's where we have Cushing. Barwin was a very good pick in the 2nd round and I expect that we can expect 6 - 9 sacks from him this season as he was just learning the position last year and at the NFL level. Barwin's advantage over Graham is that he has more arm length and height, so he doesn't have to play as wide outside the OT to get to the QB.
Would you play Dwight Freeney at the SAM? Because that's who he reminds me of, he was unblockable at the Senior Bowl. IMO, I think Barwin would make the better SAM or MIKE simply based on his size, speed, and TE experience.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:46 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post
Would you play Dwight Freeney at the SAM? Because that's who he reminds me of, he was unblockable at the Senior Bowl. IMO, I think Barwin would make the better SAM or MIKE simply based on his size, speed, and TE experience.
I think you draft Graham and then draft Cody and go to a 3-4 with Barwin and Graham as OLBs, Cushing and Ryans as ILBs, your DE's are Mario and Smith backed up by Cody and Okoye, and NT is Cody and Okam.Then you have everyone attach the other side of the line of scrimmage on every play. No read and react, just attach attach attach. Heck bring Glanville in to be the DC.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:52 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Would you play Dwight Freeney at the SAM? Because that's who he reminds me of, he was unblockable at the Senior Bowl.
Yup, that's who I thought of myself almost immediately when I first saw him making fools of all those OTs in the one-on-one drills in practice. You'd almost want to draft the guy just to keep him out of your own division (damn I hope the Titans or Jags don't somehow end up with him !).
And even though he was undersized (like Freeney) they said the thought was he could play in the 4-3 at the next level because he was also so strong against the run, though I do think RP is right in that he'd be best in the 3-4
(but then I feel that way about Connor Barwin).
Hey BTW, I read somewhere that Grahmn tore-up Iowas Bulaga when they played each other in their Big Ten game.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:25 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Would you play Dwight Freeney at the SAM?
If his arms were 30" - then I would. If Freeney was as slow as Graham, then I would. However, Graham is no Freeney. He is closer to Lamar Woodley, but Woodley has longer arms to fight off TE's and OT's.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
If his arms were 30" - then I would. If Freeney was as slow as Graham, then I would. However, Graham is no Freeney. He is closer to Lamar Woodley, but Woodley has longer arms to fight off TE's and OT's.
I saw on NFLN a few days ago a report that his arms were 32", either way, he's a very intriguing prospect. I honestly believe he'd be a better DE in a 4-3.

I also heard the report about Buluga, who I feel is a RT. I think our RT, Winston, would struggle against him as well. I'd be alright with taking Graham at 20 if we knew we were gonna start him opposite Mario, move Smith into Okoye's spot, and have Barwin fresh to relieve both ends to keep constant pressure on teams while Okoye would spell Smith.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:27 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I'd be alright with taking Graham at 20 if we knew we were gonna start him opposite Mario, move Smith into Okoye's spot, and have Barwin fresh to relieve both ends to keep constant pressure on teams while Okoye would spell Smith.
See, that is the difference between us. I am wanting to do that exact same thing with pick #150 Daniel Te'o-Nesheim.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:17 PM
All-Pro

How about this one?

Trade down in the 1st to Dallas for a 3rd and 4th round pick

1st 27 CB Devin McCourty Rutgers
2nd trade to Washington for Albert Haynesworth
3rd 81 OG John Jerry Mississippi
3rd 90 RB Ben Tate Auburn
4th 118 DT Linval Joseph East Carolina
4th 125 OG Zane Beadles Utah or Marshall Newhouse TCU
5th 150 CB Trevard Lindley Kentucky
6th 187 RB Deji Karim Southern Illinois
6th 197 S Robert Johnson Utah
7th 227 LB Jacob Cutrera LSU

McCourty is the physical CB that the team likes. Haynesworth makes everyone on the line better, Smith Haynesworth Okoye Williams. Tate and Karim added to Slaton gives us a 3 headed monster. Our OL for 2011 becomes Brown Beadles Caldwell Jerry Winston size and quickness. Johnson is on the radar and is a physical safety.

Cutrera is just a name being thrown out there.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:15 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
How about this one?

I like it even without Haynesworth. Getting Joseph in the 4th round is like getting Haynesworth Jr. I seriously think Linval gets drafted in the 2nd round now so we might just use it to get him there. So, that 4th round pick could go to CB Alterraun Verner. I'm not as big of a fan of Beadles as you or DB are so I'd wait until #150 to get my other OL Shawn Lauvao. That frees me up to get that DE from Washington at #125. I saw DB's profile on Cutrera and wondered why I never really noticed him before. Wondering if I could get Arizona's Earl Mitchell at #227.

2nd 50 DT Linval Joseph East Carolina
4th 118 CB Alterraun Verner
4th 125 DE Daniel Te'O-Nesheim
5th 150 OG Shawn Lauvao
7th 227 DT Earl Mitchell Arizona
Old 04-20-2010, 03:06 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
How about this one?

McCourty is the physical CB that the team likes. Haynesworth makes everyone on the line better, Smith Haynesworth Okoye Williams. Tate and Karim added to Slaton gives us a 3 headed monster. Our OL for 2011 becomes Brown Beadles Caldwell Jerry Winston size and quickness. Johnson is on the radar and is a physical safety.

OK Roy

2nd 51 RB Toby Gerhart
3rd 81 CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
3rd 90 DT Linval Joseph East Carolina
4th 118 DT Torrell Troup Central Florida
4th 125 OG Zane Beadles Utah
5th 150 OG Shawn Lauvao

Now the RBs are Slaton Gerhart and Karim, Thunder Lightning and Flash. McCourty starts with Quin, Owusu-Ansah push Quin and can play safety. Joseph and Troup play NT and will be part of the jumbo package on defense. Beadles and Lauvao are the OGs of the future. Johnson is solid.

for those that do not have the huddle report, get it,
Quote:
Jacob Cutrera LB LSU

TALENT BOARD

Round 2

STRENGTHS

Jacob has the speed, football intelligence and instincts to play any one of the linebacker positions. He has the size and bulk right now to be an outside linebacker, but don't let that fool you. This kid is a complete, impactful linebacker. He shows excellent skills in pass coverage and a burst to the ball that not many linebackers in this draft have on every down. He is one of the quickest linebackers in this draft; his timing and instincts when going to rush the passer are among the best in this draft. Jacob is a player who will fill the hole, shed a block and make the tackle. He is a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler who shows leadership skills through his play on the field. The truth is, I believe that Jacob is truly one of the better linebackers in this draft. Unfortunately, the problem right now is that Jacob is a part time linebacker and a bit of an anomaly at this point of the draft.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

I'm not sure why this kid is not on the field every down. He is an every down linebacker, but LSU did not use him that way. He also has not been invited to the combine or the Senior Bowl. All I can tell you is what I see on the film and what I see in his talent, skill and instinct tell me he'll make a hell of a linebacker. Interestingly, a linebacker who is not being noticed at all by anyone but me, so you tell me why! Maybe there is a medical problem that I don't now about or maybe there are character issues that are not showing up in his play on the field for me to sense. All I can tell you is this kid is a hell of a player.

BOTTOM LINE

The talent board does not suggest to you where a player might be selected in the draft. Rob's value board does that. Jacob is a perfect example of how the two boards interact to give you a better understanding of how a player who is selected in the late rounds of a draft can become an impact player for the team that drafts him in the NFL. Jacob is the definition of a sleeper. He is not from a small program and there is plenty of film on him. He has played against some of the top talent at the college level. Every time I have seen LSU play this year, #54 was making an impact play on defense. He is smooth and efficient and the LSU defense was better when he was on the field. He just knows how to play the game of football. His talent and instincts are at the same level, and yet LSU seems to feel that he was not starting linebacker material for them. Perhaps I am mistaken about his pure speed, but I'm not about his talent to play at the next level. If I'm a GM looking at film of LSU, I would want to know why no one in the NFL draft world is listing this kid at all right now. I would want to know why Jacob was in a rotation situation? I would want to know why he was not invited to the Senior Bowl or Combine. There is no excuse for this kid being off the field at any time or in any game for LSU. I'm sure he could even play on the other side of the ball as a tight end or H-back -- he has that type of talent. The talent in the linebackers was good at LSU this year. But there was no one who played linebacker for LSU this year that was better than Jacob. Just about all of the impact plays made by the LSU linebackers this year were made by Jacob! So you tell me! Where is he? What is he doing and why was he not invited to the Combine and Senior Bowl? You cannot look at film this year of an LSU game and not see this kid flash across your screen as he makes a play. Damn...am I the only one watching film out here?

Drew Boylhart 2/10
Quote:
Zane Beadles OL Utah

TALENT BOARD

Round 1

STRENGTHS

Zane is an excellent offensive lineman, but is another Utah player playing out of position for the next level. Zane's impact position at the next level is as a left guard. He is a quick-in-space, powerful run blocking offensive lineman stuck in a pass happy offensive system. He has done an excellent job for his college team and is a solid pass blocker, but the truth is that Zane has accomplished this for his college team because of his football intelligence and by using excellent offensive line techniques. Zane's lack of "tackle like" lateral agility is the big reason he will have to be moved inside at the next level. He has excellent mental stamina and shows leadership skills through his play on the field. He shows great pride in blocking for his QB, but the real strength of his game is when he run blocks. He does a good job going to the second level and loves to pull and block. His foot speed seems to be faster when he can pull on a running play. He has good quickness out of his stance and shows enough change of direction skills to stay with a block in space for screen passes. This kid has excellent technique and has survived as a left tackle by staying true to that technique. In my opinion, Zane is the top pure guard in this draft. The problem is that he has been playing Left Tackle and most teams will downgrade Zane because he doesn't have tackle athletic abilities. Big mistake, big freaking mistake!

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

Zane could be used as a right tackle, but his impact position for the next level is as a left guard. Look at his combine numbers and compare them against the guards not the tackles.

BOTTOM LINE

This Utah team has excellent coaching on both sides of the ball that teach fundamentals. They don't play players who do not use those fundamentals in a game no matter how athletically gifted a player might be. It is obvious to me that the coaches will play a player out of position over a player who has more talent if the more gifted player is not using correct fundamentals. That is why you have to look at this team and its players in a different way than you would look at players on most other teams. You cannot profile with blinders on. You should not suggest that a player is not going to be a good player because they don't have the athletic ability to play the position they are playing in college at the next level. Because of Zane's power, quickness, mental stamina and excellent blocking techniques, you cannot suggest to me that because he lacks true left tackle lateral agility that he cannot play at the next level at a different position and be a Pro Bowl caliber player. In 1995, the Bills drafted a tackle at the 14th pick of the draft and moved him to the left guard position the day after the draft. Reuben Brown was selected to the Pro Bowl eight consecutive years while playing for the Bills from 1996 to 2003. Zane has this type of potential. I wonder if I'm the only one that sees it!

Drew Boylhart 2/10
Old 04-20-2010, 10:41 PM
All-Pro

draft tek has a new mock up #28

Quote:
20 Dez Bryant Oklahoma State WR
51 Kareem Jackson Alabama CB
81 Ben Tate RB Auburn
118 Dorin Dickerson TE Pittsburgh
150 Daniel Te'o-nesheim DE Washington
187 Robert Johnson FS Utah
197 Corey Peters DT43 Kentucky
227 Chris DeGeare OG Wake Forest
My cherry pick

20 Brandon Graham Michigan DE is BPA but they will take Ryan Mathews Fresno State RBF
51 Lamarr Houston Texas DT
81 Mike Johnson Alabama OG
118 Linval Joseph East Carolina DT
150 Kevin Thomas USC CB
187 Robert Johnson Utah FS
197 Jamar Wall Texas Tech CB
227 Deji Karim Southern Illinois RB
Old 04-20-2010, 11:50 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
draft tek has a new mock up #28

My cherry pick

20 Brandon Graham Michigan DE is BPA but they will take Ryan Mathews Fresno State RBF
51 Lamarr Houston Texas DT
81 Mike Johnson Alabama OG
118 Linval Joseph East Carolina DT
150 Kevin Thomas USC CB
187 Robert Johnson Utah FS
197 Jamar Wall Texas Tech CB
227 Deji Karim Southern Illinois RB
I put this in the other thread, but for comparison....this is using my board, NOT Cherry picking after the fact. Thought it interesting a few of my picks and the computer were the same....

20 CB Kareem Jackson
51 OG John Jerry
81 RB Ben Tate
118 DT Linval Joseph
150 DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim
187 FS Robert Johnson
197 CB Crezdon Butler
227 RB Deji Karim
Old 04-21-2010, 01:37 PM
All-Pro

draftsite.com

20 Kyle Wilson CB Boise State
51 Reshad Jones* S Georgia
81 Brandon LaFell WR LSU
118 Ben Tate RB Auburn
150 Charlie Tanner OG Texas
187 Travis Goethel OLB Arizona State
197 Ryan Perrilloux QB Jacksonville State
227 C.J. Wilson DE East Carolina

My Cherry Pick
1st Dan Williams DT Tennessee
2nd Devin McCourty CB Rutgers
3rd Toby Gerhart RB Stanford
4th Lamarr Houston DT Texas
5th Zane Beadles OG Utah
6th Jeff Byers OG USC
6th Javarris James RB Miami
7th Keaton Kristick OLB Oregon State
Old 04-21-2010, 02:18 PM
All-Pro

Guys I would be happy with at each pick:

1st: Dan Williams, CJ Spiller, Earl Thomas, Brandon Graham, Mike Iupati, Maurkice Pouncey, Sean Weatherspoon, Kyle Wilson, Ryan Mathews, Jerry Hughes, Taylor Mays, Devin McCourty, Kareem Jackson

2nd: Tyson Alualu, Terrence Cody, Morgan Burnett, Toby Gerhart, Linval Joseph, Lamarr Houston, Jerome Murphy, Ben Tate, Torrell Troup, Major Wright, Javier Arenas, John Jerry, Montario Hardesty, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Jon Asamoah

3rd: Zane Beadles, Reshad Jones, Myron Lewis, Jonathan Dwyer, Geno Atkins, Daniel Te'o-Nesheim, JD Walton, Mike Johnson, Koa Misi

4th-5th:Shawn Lauvao, Kam Chancellor, Dekoda Watson, James Starks, LeGarrette Blount, Charles Scott, Mitch Petrus, Marshall Newhouse, Walter McFadden, Mitch Petrus, Myron Rolle, AJ Edds, Donovan Warren, John Skelton, Lonyae Miller, Deji Karim, Jameson Konz, Daniel Te'o-Nesheim

6th-7th: Joique Bell, Trevard Lindley, Fendi Onobun, Jamar Wall, Robert Johnson, Vince Oghobaase, Shelley Smith, Brian Jackson, Javarris James, Keiland Williams, Jay Ross

If a guy goes earlier not a huge deal.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:27 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Guys I would be happy with at each pick:

1st: Dan Williams, CJ Spiller, Earl Thomas, Brandon Graham, Mike Iupati, Maurkice Pouncey, Sean Weatherspoon, Kyle Wilson, Ryan Mathews, Jerry Hughes, Taylor Mays, Devin McCourty, Kareem Jackson

2nd: Tyson Alualu, Terrence Cody, Morgan Burnett, Toby Gerhart, Linval Joseph, Lamarr Houston, Jerome Murphy, Ben Tate, Torrell Troup, Major Wright, Javier Arenas, John Jerry, Montario Hardesty, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Jon Asamoah

3rd: Zane Beadles, Reshad Jones, Myron Lewis, Jonathan Dwyer, Geno Atkins, Daniel Te'o-Nesheim, JD Walton, Mike Johnson, Koa Misi

4th-5th:Shawn Lauvao, Kam Chancellor, Dekoda Watson, James Starks, LeGarrette Blount, Charles Scott, Mitch Petrus, Marshall Newhouse, Walter McFadden, Mitch Petrus, Myron Rolle, AJ Edds, Donovan Warren, John Skelton, Lonyae Miller, Deji Karim, Jameson Konz, Daniel Te'o-Nesheim

6th-7th: Joique Bell, Trevard Lindley, Fendi Onobun, Jamar Wall, Robert Johnson, Vince Oghobaase, Shelley Smith, Brian Jackson, Javarris James, Keiland Williams, Jay Ross

If a guy goes earlier not a huge deal.

You should put these guys in a spreadsheet and then cut and paste them into the "My Guys" thread. Of course, they are "Your Guys" but that's fine.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:42 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
You should put these guys in a spreadsheet and then cut and paste them into the "My Guys" thread. Of course, they are "Your Guys" but that's fine.
Good idea to move them
Old 04-22-2010, 01:00 AM
All-Pro

Default Cleveland Browns Trade

This is probably my favorite scenario. The Browns move up from the 2nd round into the 1st round to get their QB of the future. The Texans gladly trade down giving up the #20 and the #150 picks in return for #38, #71, and #92. We go on to select the following players....

38 RB Jahvid Best
51 CB Brandon Ghee
71 OG John Jerry
81 RB Ben Tate
92 DT Geno Atkins
118 DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim
187 LB AJ Edds
197 FS Robert Johnson
227 OG Shelley Smith
UDFA CB Crezdon Butler
Old 04-22-2010, 04:39 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
This is probably my favorite scenario. The Browns move up from the 2nd round into the 1st round to get their QB of the future. The Texans gladly trade down giving up the #20 and the #150 picks in return for #38, #71, and #92. We go on to select the following players....

38 RB Jahvid Best
51 CB Brandon Ghee
71 OG John Jerry
81 RB Ben Tate
92 DT Geno Atkins
118 DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim
187 LB AJ Edds
197 FS Robert Johnson
227 OG Shelley Smith
UDFA CB Crezdon Butler
I do not think Best is even on their board.

38 Toby Gerhart RB Stanford
51 Akwasi Owusu-Ansah CB Indiana (PA)
71 Torrell Troup DT Central Florida
81 Lamarr Houston DT Texas
92 Mike Johnson OG Alabama
118 Marshall Newhouse OG TCU
187 Robert Johnson FS Utah
197 Deji Karim RB Southern Illinois
227 Jamar Wall CB Texas Tech

Last edited by painekiller; 04-22-2010 at 04:45 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:54 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/2010mock.htm

20 Jonathan Dwyer* RB 6'1" 235 Georgia Tech
51 Chad Jones* S 6'3" 218 LSU
82 Jerome Murphy CB 6'1" 192 South Florida
119 Jacoby Ford WR 5'9" 175 Clemson
152 Terrell Skinner S 6'3" 214 Maryland
190 Max Hall QB 6'1" 200 BYU
200 Jeff Byers OG 6'3" 290 USC
231 Corey Peters DT 6'3" 292 Kentucky

ok in my Cherry pick i have to drop 9 spot to take my guy so I would be trading down with someone Maybe San Diego who are looking RB? we give 20 for 28 and 60
28 Dan Williams DT 6'3" 312 Tennessee
51 Kareem Jackson* CB 5'11" 192 Alabama
60 Jon Asamoah OG 6'5" 309 Illinois
82 Perrish Cox CB 6'1" 195 Oklahoma State
119 Charles Scott RB 5'11" 228 LSU
152 Rodger Saffold OT 6'5" 305 Indiana (OG) prospect had great Shrine week.
190 Cam Thomas DT 6'3" 330 North Carolina
200 John Skelton QB 6'5" 258 Fordham
231 Javarris James RB 6'0" 211 Miami

Again this year like the year we took Brown, I had us taking Jackson, but a round later. Wonder if we take Asamoah at 51?
Old 04-23-2010, 08:50 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
I put this in the other thread, but for comparison....this is using my board, NOT Cherry picking after the fact. Thought it interesting a few of my picks and the computer were the same....

20 CB Kareem Jackson
51 OG John Jerry
81 RB Ben Tate
118 DT Linval Joseph
150 DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim
187 FS Robert Johnson
197 CB Crezdon Butler
227 RB Deji Karim
Well, they took KJ at #20, so I'm wondering if we can get an OL and a RB today. I've got to have Tate, Gerhart, or Hardesty before I'll be satisfied with the Texans drafting a RB.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Regular Starter

According to Lance Z. the medical on Hardesty might drop him to the 5th.