IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2017, 03:24 PM
Regular Starter

Default Bouye nugget

From a source inside the Texans org....talks have broken off between the team and Bouye. Unless something changes (i.e. the Texans up the guaranteed money), he will hit FA. A formal offer was never made...numbers were thrown around, but it wasn't close enough to actually get people to sit down at the table and talk further. Very slim possibility he will be tagged (duh).
Old 02-23-2017, 10:16 PM
Administrator

I will not be surprised when Bouye signs elsewhere. The Texans have Kevin Johnson due back and more pressing offseason needs. That, plus the one thing Rick Smith seems to do well is find reserve corners.

And early congrats to Bouye when he does sign. He had an underrated season and will be an asset to whatever team he plays for this season.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:22 PM
All-Pro

The way I look at it the Texans got themselves the services of a solid reserve CB for several years and eventually in his final season in Houston a corner playing at a pro bowl level all at the bargain basement prices they signed him at as an undrafted free agent rookie right out of college back in 2013 and now it's time for the young man to get himself paid by someone with deeper pockets than the Texans have this offseason.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:00 PM
All-Pro

Or it could be that Bouye just had a career year and isn't as special as he thinks he's worth. I'll agree he had a great 2nd half of the season and someone I liked better back there than Kareem "Holding, Defense #25" Jackson but it would be crazy to toss Pro Bowl money at him for a half-year of good play. You'd think, after Osweiler, that lesson might have been learned.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:22 PM
All-Pro

Bouye was consistently ranked quite high in 2014 and 2015 as well. I think it's pretty clear that he can play. I worry about the secondary because it appears they want to shift Kareem to safety and I'm not sure if Kevin will ever be back to 100%.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:35 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Or it could be that Bouye just had a career year and isn't as special as he thinks he's worth. I'll agree he had a great 2nd half of the season and someone I liked better back there than Kareem "Holding, Defense #25" Jackson but it would be crazy to toss Pro Bowl money at him for a half-year of good play. You'd think, after Osweiler, that lesson might have been learned.
Did Osweiller have a great half a season I'm unaware of?
Old 02-26-2017, 09:13 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Did Osweiller have a great half a season I'm unaware of?
I'm speaking of 2015 which was what the Texans used to decide Ozzie was worth a big wad of money, not 2016 after the money had been spent, hence the comparison.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:13 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm speaking of 2015 which was what the Texans used to decide Ozzie was worth a big wad of money, not 2016 after the money had been spent, hence the comparison.
You think Osweiller had a great half season in 2015?
Old 02-26-2017, 08:38 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
You think Osweiller had a great half season in 2015?
Relative to what he did in 2016 it looks pretty good.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:30 AM
Pro Bowler

Bouye has shown he has more CB talent than Kareem Jackson, is less injury prone (and quite possibly more talented) than Kevin Johnson, and is much younger than the rapidly aging JJo. We still have no idea if Johnson is a player or if he can remain healthy and play a full season, so why not T or F-Tag Bouye and retain him for at least another year and see what happens? Worst case is he falls on his face and we let him walk next year. If it turns out he's great, then make a move next year to sign him long-term and get rid of one or two of the other guys. More than likely JJo is cut in 2018 anyway. Someone is going to pay the guy, so why not us?
Old 02-27-2017, 09:56 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Bouye has shown he has more CB talent than Kareem Jackson, is less injury prone (and quite possibly more talented) than Kevin Johnson, and is much younger than the rapidly aging JJo. We still have no idea if Johnson is a player or if he can remain healthy and play a full season, so why not T or F-Tag Bouye and retain him for at least another year and see what happens? Worst case is he falls on his face and we let him walk next year. If it turns out he's great, then make a move next year to sign him long-term and get rid of one or two of the other guys. More than likely JJo is cut in 2018 anyway. Someone is going to pay the guy, so why not us?
It's a great idea until you realize what the top-paid CBs in the league make and what even one year of that does to the salary cap. Should we be paying Bouye the same as Darrell Revis or Richard Sherman, even on a one-year trial?
Old 02-27-2017, 10:23 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It's a great idea until you realize what the top-paid CBs in the league make and what even one year of that does to the salary cap. Should we be paying Bouye the same as Darrell Revis or Richard Sherman, even on a one-year trial?
Yes. Paying a guy that has produced and has shown he might turn into a Revis or Sherman on a 1-yr big $ show me deal doesn't seem all that risky or dumb to me. With the cap going up, we should have the money. Jackson isn't all that good, Johnson hasn't played and can't stay on the field, and JJo is old. If one or more of those guys goes out or declines considerably, which there's a good chance of that occurring based on history, then what? I haven't looked to see who's contracts are up, but I don't think there are any young MUST pay NOW guys so this would be the year to take that gamble, IMO. It just doesn't make sense to me to let what might be your best secondary player walk.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:14 PM
Pro Bowler

Let me just add, no one knew Sherman - a 5th RD draft pick - would become Sherman until he started proving it on the field. Unfortunately, Bouye took a little longer to show he can play at a high level and our commitment window is shorter than Seattle had with Sherman. Another unfortunate aspect of this is Smith and the coaching staff didn't identify Bouye's potential and sign him to a cap-friendly extended deal in 2015 or 2016. But here we are... With that being said, I'd still rather risk a big money 1-yr show me deal on a young guy than those awful veteran deals like Ed Reed, Ahman Green, and numerous dumb veteran extensions (Carr/Cushing/DomDavis). I fully get the argument for letting him walk, but he's arguably our best CB (he is, IMO) so I'm more inclined to keep him.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:53 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
That's a tough one because Revis shouldn't make what Revis makes. The guy was terrible a year ago. So Bouye should make a lot more than Revis, but he shouldn't make what Revis makes right now.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Regular Starter

update...

Bouye's agent threatened that they wouldn't sign a long term deal if tagged.

Bouye really want to test the FA market or at least his agent does.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:19 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Ed Werder‏Verified account
@Edwerderespn
#Texans concerned about prospect of losing CB AJ Bouye to #Eagles, per source. #Texans to counter offer today.
Get it done Texans.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Regular Starter

Eagles offer supposedly in 14.2-14.5 range. He is waiting for the Texans counter. sounds like Indy and TEN are out of it right now.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerack View Post
Eagles offer supposedly in 14.2-14.5 range. He is waiting for the Texans counter. sounds like Indy and TEN are out of it right now.
Pennsylvania state income tax rate is 3.07% which would reduce his income ~$430K/yr, so the Texans would have to offer ~$13.7MM to match.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:05 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Pennsylvania state income tax rate is 3.07% which would reduce his income ~$430K/yr, so the Texans would have to offer ~$13.7MM to match.
On the other hand, playing a sport that typically requires a helmet mitigates some of the inconvenience inherent in playing for enthusiasts given to liberal views regarding the norms of battery disposal so they do have that going for them.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:46 AM
Regular Starter

Schefter and others are now reporting Bouye will sign elsewhere this afternoon.