IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2010, 11:39 AM
All-Pro

Minor , your red nos. add up to 55 not 53. Every team has about the same spread of players by position don't they, with minor variations?
Old 07-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I wanted to add the number by position that the Texans carried into the season, last year 53 man roster the number is in red on the left hand side
My roster predictions:

3 2 QB Schaub, Orlovsky
4 3 RB Foster Slaton Tate
1 1 FB Leach
6 7 WR Johnson, Walters, Jones, Anderson, Davis, Holiday, Dickerson
4 3 TE Daniel, Casey, Graham, PUP Hill
3 3 OT Winston, Brown, Butler
6 6 OG/OC Meyers, Caldwell, W Smith, Briesel, S Smith, Studdard

1 1 K Brown
1 1 P Turk
0 1 LS Weeks
2 3

9 DE Mario, Barwin, Smith, Jamison, DT Okoye, Cody, Mitchell, Sheppard, Okam ? (My only bubble guy, this could be Robinson)
6 6 LB Ryans, Diles, Adibi, Bentley, Clark, Sharpton, Roster exemption Cushing
9 10 DBs CB Jackson, Quin, McCain, Molden, Reeves, McManus, S Pollard, Wilson, Nolan, Barber

IMO we keep the LS that takes away a TE, if all the TE on my list are healthy, (Hill excluded). This season I think we pass on the 3 string QB and that gives us an extra DB. If all 3 RB are healthy on cut down day then I see us keeping only 3, which allows us an extra WR.
The only way Okam stays is if he's better than last year. If he doesn't get serious, the Okam experiment is over.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtinylittle View Post
The only way Okam stays is if he's better than last year. If he doesn't get serious, the Okam experiment is over.
I agree 100%. We need a big body for short yardage, but he has to be able to carry his weight. We have 2 rookies that have a very good shot at making the team at DT and someone is going to loose a job. IMO Okam is the guy gone, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt until I see more from him in preseason.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Veteran Depth

I don't see how you can justify keeping Davis at his salary. He's proven worthless as a wide receiver as long as Angry Dre is healthy, and based on last season, he's lost a step in the return game. Holliday should beat him out there pretty easily. Lilliputians with 10-flat 100 times are pretty tough to tackle. If Holliday makes any strides whatsoever as a receiver, Davis is gone for sure. I don't see a whole lot else that I disagree with, though I'd like to see Dreesen stick around. He's serviceable, and I just like him. I think I may have been the first person ever to recognize him in public, and he was super cool, so I'm sure that plays a role. It also wouldn't surprise me if we carry four RB's.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:13 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlbound View Post
I don't see how you can justify keeping Davis at his salary. He's proven worthless as a wide receiver as long as Angry Dre is healthy, and based on last season, he's lost a step in the return game. Holliday should beat him out there pretty easily. Lilliputians with 10-flat 100 times are pretty tough to tackle. If Holliday makes any strides whatsoever as a receiver, Davis is gone for sure. I don't see a whole lot else that I disagree with, though I'd like to see Dreesen stick around. He's serviceable, and I just like him. I think I may have been the first person ever to recognize him in public, and he was super cool, so I'm sure that plays a role. It also wouldn't surprise me if we carry four RB's.
Davis is still the best gunner on the punt coverage team we have, that is an important skill to Coach Joe. And this is an uncapped year, salary does not matter IMO if we want to win.

Now you maybe right and Davis is gone, but I still think he is one of the top 53.

As for RB, who do you see being the #4 guy? I don't see anyone that will be on the team if someone else is not hurt.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Regular Starter

Wow.... I hope Schaub plays all season long again. Why wont they sign a veteran back up QB and have a young QB learn as a 3rd stringer?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:11 AM
Regular Starter

If Johnson shows anything and is healthy, I think he goes to the practice squad and we only keep 3 backs. Kubiak always likes to keep a back on the practice squad.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Veteran Depth

You're right about Davis' gunnerdom, and it may be enough to keep him around, just something in my gut tells me he's gone. That said, I won't be mad if he does make the squad. As for the 4th RB, I can't think of anyone that would be worth having on the 53, unless Johnson shows us something in preseason. even so, I think he's probably a taxi squad guy, so failing someone good getting cut from another team, I now agree that we carry 3 rb's, barring injuries.

Last edited by superbowlbound; 07-23-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: haha, 32 rb's! ridiculous!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
I agree 100%. We need a big body for short yardage, but he has to be able to carry his weight. We have 2 rookies that have a very good shot at making the team at DT and someone is going to loose a job. IMO Okam is the guy gone, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt until I see more from him in preseason.
Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line Coach Bill Kollar
(on wanting DT Frank Okam to put on a meaner face) "Well, there's no doubt about it, (DT) Frank's (Okam) a really nice guy and he's been doing a really good job. We're really impressed with what he's able to do so far. If he did have that mean streak in him, it would give him that little edge that you always want in a player. You love when they're not on the field but you want them to have that mean streak when they're on the field."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=6272

...really good job, ...We're really impressed. These are surprising comments to me. I think pretty much everyone who has posted on the message boards has been very negative about Okam. I seem to remember another comment, maybe by Kubiak, a week or so ago that said Okam was doing some good things. How nice would it be if he realized his potential, less the mean streak?
Old 08-13-2010, 12:42 PM
All-Pro

OK then, well I'm now totally confused about what I'm hearing about Okam ?
I've been hearing he's a gonner in part because of strong showings by rookies DTs Mitchell & Sheppard and his own lackluster efforts, but now he's gettin' high-5s all over the place by the the HC and his line-coach ?
Old 08-13-2010, 01:28 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
OK then, well I'm now totally confused about what I'm hearing about Okam ?
I've been hearing he's a gonner in part because of strong showings by rookies DTs Mitchell & Sheppard and his own lackluster efforts, but now he's gettin' high-5s all over the place by the the HC and his line-coach ?
Week one, he looked pretty bad at the start of the week.

Last Monday, he looked like a light bulb was on, he looked like he wanted to have job come September. Will that bulb stay on? Not sure...

But he did look improved last Monday, IMO.

And remember I had Okam making it on to my original 53 prediction.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Week one, he looked pretty bad at the start of the week.

Last Monday, he looked like a light bulb was on, he looked like he wanted to have job come September. Will that bulb stay on? Not sure...

But he did look improved last Monday, IMO.

And remember I had Okam making it on to my original 53 prediction.
I'm pretty confident that only one of: Okam and Deljuan make the team. I am rooting for Deljuan because I think he is far more reliable and don't really believe Okam will ever be a contributing player on a good defense.

http://www.texansbullblog.com
Old 08-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Pro Bowler

PK said this: "As for RB, who do you see being the #4 guy? I don't see anyone that will be on the team if someone else is not hurt."

Now that rookie Tate is hurt, it looks like Foster, Slaton, Chris Henry, and Jeremiah (Was a Bullfrog) Johnson.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:09 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
PK said this: "As for RB, who do you see being the #4 guy? I don't see anyone that will be on the team if someone else is not hurt."

Now that rookie Tate is hurt, it looks like Foster, Slaton, Chris Henry, and Jeremiah (Was a Bullfrog) Johnson.
I knew I jinxed us when I typed that.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Regular Starter

We posted a new article identifying players on the roster bubble and discussing the impact of their performance in Arizona. And, we are hopeful that we can figure out how to get supporting video on our site tonight...

here it is : Texans Bull Blog
Old 09-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
I wanted to add the number by position that the Texans carried into the season, last year 53 man roster the number is in red on the left hand side
My roster predictions:

3 2 QB Schaub, Orlovsky
4 4 RB Foster Slaton Johnson, Henry
1 1 FB Leach
6 6 WR Johnson, Walters, Jones, Anderson, Davis, Dickerson
4 4 TE Daniel, Casey, Graham,Dreeson PUP Hill
3 3 OT Winston, Brown, Butler
6 6 OG/OC Meyers, Caldwell, W Smith, Briesel, S Smith, Studdard

1 1 K Brown
1 1 P Turk
0 1 LS Weeks
2 3

9 DE Mario, Barwin, Smith, Jamison, DT Okoye, Cody, Mitchell, Sheppard, Okam ? (My only bubble guy, this could be Robinson)
6 6 LB Ryans, Diles, Adibi, Bentley, Clark, Sharpton, Roster exemption Cushing
9 9 DBs CB Jackson, Quin, McCain, Molden, McManus, S Pollard, Wilson, Nolan, Barber

I thought I would re-visit this now that we are just about to the deadline. Obviously, some things have taken care of themselves by injuries. If I did it right and added right, I came up with 53 players and underlined the changes except for deleting Reeves, as well as Holliday and Tate, of course. I think Okam gets the last DT spot. Reeves has the most experience of the CB's, which is a consideration, but he also has the largest salary and won't get much playing time, barring injury. Barring an injury, I think Clark goes when Cushing returns. Nading has gotten a lot of snaps, but Jamison looks stronger and way quicker off the ball. Henry may not make the roster, but Kubiak has said they will probably carry 4 RB's.

Practice squad guys I would like, but not necessarily predicting:

Steve Maneri
Torri Williams
Bobby Williams
Cole Pemberton
Mark Parsons
Isiah Greenhouse
Will Patterson
Mitch Unrein

I was hoping for Pannel Egboh to get signed to the PS, but he got picked up by another team.

Mitch Unrein has received limited snaps. What little I did see, I liked his movement and quickness for a big guy. Either the Texans think he is strictly camp fodder, or may feel he has development potential down the road and will PS him.

I thought Maneri has done pretty well for a guy that is being converted from TE and hasn't had time to add the weight he needs for the position.

Greenhouse has done well on special teams.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Hall of Fame

So, the deadline on the 53 is Saturday, Sept 4. I believe the PS candidates have to clear waivers for 24 hours then they can be re-signed. Seems like last year the PS player list started trickling in on Sunday night....
Old 09-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Regular Starter

Kris Brown . . .cut
Old 09-03-2010, 02:08 PM
All-Pro

Yeah, I guess we all wish Kris Brown well in future. He's had some good games for Texans, but last year was bad. Lotta tough decisions coming next few days.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:10 PM
All-Pro

Hey I want to say thank you to Kris Brown, he has been a wonderful ambassador, and role model.

That said, I did not think they could sell Brown to the fans one more time, so it was time for him to move to a new location.

That all said, IMO Rackers is not the answer. I hope I am wrong on that one like I am usually wrong.