IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 11-24-2021, 02:07 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Official Texans vs. Jets Game Thread, 11/28/2021

It's a showdown of two 2-8 teams as the New York Jets come to NRG to play the Texans this Sunday in an early game. The Texans are coming off a 22-13 road win over the Titans last Sunday, the Jets had a 24-17 home loss to the Miami Dolphins.

It's unclear whether Joe Flacco or Zac Wilson will start at QB for the Jets. Most likely Flacco, I'd say. The Jets are not unlike the Texans in that they have an old vet or a young guy that can start. Michael Carter is the Jets top RB with 430 yds, 3.9 avg. The Jets top receivers are Corey Davis (477 yds), Elijah Moore (415 yds) and Jamison Crowder (305 yds). RB Michael Carter also has 308 receiving yards. Side note: ex-Texan Ryan Griffin is the Jet's best receiving TE.

Could the Texans be a little relaxed and complacent after upsetting the Titans? You'd think they would be hungry for all the wins they could get. OTOH, the Jets had a tough home loss to the Dolphins and now have to go on the road. Big plays and turnovers usually decide most games. I don't know much about the Jets but I'm going to put some faith on the Texan's defense being able to do some good things in this game. The Texans are 3-1 at home ATS, the Jets are 0-5 ATS on the road. I've got it:

Texans 28, Jets 20

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TV = CBS (channel 11 local), noon CST, Sunday, 11/28/2021

Announcers = Spero Dedes, Jay Feely

The line = Texans by 2½ to 3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Sunday viewing in the Houston area:

FOX (early) = Tampa Bay @ Indianapolis, Kevin Burkhardt, Greg Olsen

FOX (late) = LA Rams @ Green Bay, Joe Buck, Troy Aikman

Prime time:

T-giving (early) = Chicago @ Detroit (FOX; Joe Buck, Troy Aikman)

T-giving (late) = Las Vegas @ Dallas (CBS; Jim Nantz, Tony Romo)

T-giving (night) = Buffalo @ New Orleans (NBC; Mike Tirico, Drew Brees)

SNF = Cleveland @ Baltimore (NBC)

MNF = Seattle @ Washington (ESPN)
Old 11-24-2021, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
The line = Texans by 2½ to 3
Unless I am mistaken, this might be the first and last time the Texans will be favored by oddsmakers this season. Recall that the Texans were even 3-pt underdogs for their home opener against the Jaguars.

I am mildly stunned at how the Texans defense keeps producing turnovers. I'm still no fan of Lovie and his schemes, but his defense has produced, something like 2nd in the league in forced fumbles and 4th in interceptions.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:45 AM
Hall of Fame

QB Zach Wilson will start Sunday. Flacco to the Covid protocol because he was near Mike White who tested positive. I'm at a loss for words.....

Linky
Old 11-28-2021, 09:03 AM
All-Pro

I wonder if that shit-azz Chuckster and his buddy Wes will be watching Wes's favorite team at Chucks River Oaks enclave or maybe they'll be together at Anderson's Park Place pad ?
Old 11-28-2021, 11:39 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I wonder if that shit-azz Chuckster and his buddy Wes will be watching Wes's favorite team at Chucks River Oaks enclave or maybe they'll be together at Anderson's Park Place pad ?
You would have no way to know this but in general I despise movies, any sort of Hollywood movie certainly, and although I have some idea who Wes Anderson is and know that he has some new film out (which is supposed to be a MAZE ing) I will not be seeing it.

So that $12 a month I save on Netflix goes straight to the sports book.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:20 PM
Hall of Fame

Texans took the opening drive and got inside the Jet's 20 but a tipped ball leads to an INT for the Jets.

Jets now inside the 10.

Texan defense stiffens and the Jets get a 31 yard FG.

Jets 3, Texans 0

5:34 left in the 1st qtr.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Texans work into the red zone on their opening drive following a fourth down conversion.

Inexplicably, the Texans call some cute play with a lot of backfield screen-like action that Jets big boy defender John Franklin-Myers tips and picks. Jets drive stalls, and they kick for three.

Jets 3, Texans 0
5:34 remaining in the 1st quarter

btw, I like Wes Anderson movies.
also btw, Arky is better at these posts than me haha
Old 11-28-2021, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Also, interesting note on why S Justin Reid isn't playing today.
Quote:
#Texans safety Justin Reid (@JustinqReid) on being inactive today for disciplinary reasons: “I’m actually really shocked at (Coach David) Culley’s decision to make me inactive. I couldn’t believe it.” Justin didn’t want to go into any details yet about what happened other than to say this situation is stemming from "a disagreement" during a team meeting.

"I thought the meeting went amicably, and then I came to practice Friday and after practice was done he called me into his office and said he benched me for disciplinary reasons. It is what it is. I'm shocked that it happened, and I'm just gonna root for the guys out there and just keep cheering my teammates on. It's always tough when you're not playing. The best I can do is be there in spirit and root my guys on."
https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/...19243565662208

Really odd behavior, but without knowing what was said and the context in which it was said is tough to evaluate. Feels like if there was really an issue with what he said that it would have been addressed immediately following the meeting, not following practice. Culley is a patsy, obvs. And a loss to the Jets today would probably have an impact on draft order next spring.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:40 PM
Hall of Fame

Texans get an INT by Tavierre Thomas at the Jet 24.

Who? CB, 5' 10", 205 lbs, 3 years with the Browns, went to school at Ferris State.

That concludes today's episode of "Meet the Texans".

----------------------------------------------------

1st qtr ends with the Texans at the Jet 7, 2nd and goal.

----------------------------------------------------

Taylor hits TE Brevin Jordan for a 13 yard TD pass.

Texans 7, Jets 3

14:18 left in the half.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:45 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Also, interesting note on why S Justin Reid isn't playing today.

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/...19243565662208

Really odd behavior, but without knowing what was said and the context in which it was said is tough to evaluate. Feels like if there was really an issue with what he said that it would have been addressed immediately following the meeting, not following practice. Culley is a patsy, obvs. And a loss to the Jets today would probably have an impact on draft order next spring.
Eeesh, well that's great for team chemistry. Bench one of the leaders of the defense.....

I know one thing - Somewhere, Mike Ditka is jealous of the way Culley can chew a wad of gum....
Old 11-28-2021, 12:52 PM
Hall of Fame

Bengals all over Steelers 17-3.

Pats 10, Titans 6

Bucs 6, Colts 3

-----------------------------------------

Wow, nice catch, Cooks.

Taylor hits Cooks for a 40 yard TD pass.

Texans 14, Jets 3

10:29 left in the half.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:58 PM
All-Pro

OK, I always have to look to remember all the films. I saw Rushmore, obviously. I remember where it was set, of course, and I remember whoever the kid actor was was terrible. I don't remember the plot. I watched maybe half an hour of the Royal Tenenbaums and it was absolute fking torture. Then, for who knows what reason, I tried to watch The Darjeeling Limited and got through maybe ten minutes before I quit in utter disgust.

I am a HUGE fan of Seu Jorge, the Brazilian dude in Life Aquatic. I loved him way before the movie. And despite my love for him and my love for David Bowie and the outrageously great collision between Seu Jorge and David Bowie that the movie inspires, I have never seen the movie. Fortunately for me you can just buy the soundtrack and listen to that and you don't have to bother with the film.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:19 PM
Hall of Fame

Walter runs one in for the Jets.

2 pt try by backup QB J Johnson is good.

Texans 14, Jets 11

1:13 left in the half.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:22 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
OK, I always have to look to remember all the films. I saw Rushmore, obviously. I remember where it was set, of course, and I remember whoever the kid actor was was terrible. I don't remember the plot. I watched maybe half an hour of the Royal Tenenbaums and it was absolute fking torture. Then, for who knows what reason, I tried to watch The Darjeeling Limited and got through maybe ten minutes before I quit in utter disgust.

I am a HUGE fan of Seu Jorge, the Brazilian dude in Life Aquatic. I loved him way before the movie. And despite my love for him and my love for David Bowie and the outrageously great collision between Seu Jorge and David Bowie that the movie inspires, I have never seen the movie. Fortunately for me you can just buy the soundtrack and listen to that and you don't have to bother with the film.
Grand Budapest Hotel was good, IMO.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:28 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Grand Budapest Hotel was good, IMO.
I'll take your word for it.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:32 PM
All-Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9h-_LTOsqw

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that even after repeated listens I won't enjoy the soundtrack quite as much as I like Seu Jorge. Now, I like a good yodel as much as anyone, don't get me wrong.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:33 PM
All-Pro

OK wait, dude won an Academy for that lmfao because of course he did
Old 11-28-2021, 01:52 PM
Hall of Fame

Jets open the 2nd half with a long drive aided by Texan penalties.

Wilson keeps for a 4 yard TD.

Jets 18, Texans 14

7:51 left in the 3rd qtr.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:07 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9h-_LTOsqw

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that even after repeated listens I won't enjoy the soundtrack quite as much as I like Seu Jorge. Now, I like a good yodel as much as anyone, don't get me wrong.
How about watch the movie first then regale us with your critique?
Old 11-28-2021, 02:13 PM
Hall of Fame

Ammendola misses a 42 yard FG for the Jets.

Texans have the ball at their 24 with 13:27 left in the game.