Didn't see this one happening! Dayum!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-eric-winston/
Old 03-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Hall of Fame

Whoa! Didn't see this one coming....

I wonder what they are up to....
Old 03-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Pro Bowler

Smells like they are doing everything they can to resign Mario! Either Winston wouldn't renegotiate, or the Texan feel they have an adequate RT (Rashad Butler) in the house already. Otherwise this move makes no sense.

Last edited by NBT; 03-15-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Pro Bowler

Probably has more to do with Myers. Guess they think Butler can handle RT. We'll find out more in less than 24hrs. Wouldn't be shocked to see Demeco's name on the wire next.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:24 PM
All-Pro

Definitely a unforseen cut. 5.5 mil off the cap apparently. Loosing consistency on the line so too bad.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:45 PM
All-Pro

Don't think they were paying too much to Winston for a solid OT, even a RT, which tells us the Texans don't really rate Winston a solid NFL RT. Still it's surprising considering how we always think OLine continuity is so important ? Winston was solid in run-blocking, but he left a lot to be desired in his pass-protection.
It sure sounds like they are trying to clear cap-space for Mario, but after hearing this news I'm sure I don't have a clue what the Texans plan is let alone their next move ?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:11 PM
All-Pro

I've said a few times I'd move Winston inside because he struggles on the edge. But I never thought we'd cut him. But the guys who succeed on our line definitely show the sum is greater than the parts on our OL. Brown is the only really good individual.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Probably has more to do with Myers. Guess they think Butler can handle RT. We'll find out more in less than 24hrs. Wouldn't be shocked to see Demeco's name on the wire next.
Agree 100% on both. Winston is over thought of by the media due to his openness. He was "OK", but nothing special. Based on Butler's play when Brown
was out, he likely slides right in a Newton becomes the swing.

I would bank that they will resign Briesel too.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 PM
All-Pro

Like you guys, I did not see that one coming. Butler showed he can do the job for less than half the money. Winston was a liability in the passing game, he is owned by Mathis, who resigned with the Colts.

I see us drafting a OT sooner then we thought before today.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:52 AM
All-Pro

I don't listen to too much Sports-Radio, but had to tune into 610 last night to get their take on the release of Winston who of course also works for 610.
Wow are they defensive about that whole thing, and for more than any reason because they seem really upset that they got blind-sided like everybody else about Winston's release ? Seems like they felt as if Smith/Kubiak should have given them a scoop on the story ? Where have they been ?
Poor old John McClain admits he has no idea what's next ? And you know I like John, I find his corny movie/meeting the stars stories and his stories about the old days with the Oilers entertaining, but of course John has no knowledge of the Xs & Os, no clue, no real football knowledge and certainly knows nothing about player evaluation.
I don't know how many times this Barry guy got upset by listeners calling him out for being so ignorant about the reasons for Winstons release, but then he admitted he was hurt that Winston hadn't returned his calls even though he's called other local media personalities. It was all pretty entertaining. But 610 also had some guy on named Greg Cook who was very knowledgeable about the whole thing, as I think he's a former NFL player ?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Regular Starter

yeah, i think cook is a former player.

mcclain is a moron when it comes to football knowledge. how, i honestly don't know. you would think that from just reporting on football for as long as he has been some knowledge would have rubbed off on him, but he really seems clueless on most things that aren't spoonfed to him.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Hall of Fame

Greg Koch (spelled differently). He fills in at 610 a lot... He's a Houston boy, went to the University of Arkansas for college in the 70's and had a pretty good NFL career at Green Bay. I think he was an offensive tackle...

Barry Warner has been a Houston media guy like forever. Big ego, blowhard - a lot of people don't like him - I think he's kind of amusing cause he's so FOS.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:52 PM
All-Pro

I think overall Winston did pretty good, will be missed, and likely he'll get a pretty big pay day in free agency.

not sure we can find a perfect replacement, but do hope we keep Meyers and likely Brisell.

Almost all the radio and TV guys are amusing entertainment and everyone has their own opinions anyways.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
not sure we can find a perfect replacement, but do hope we keep Meyers and likely Brisell.
Worried about Myers. His agent was on Sirius earlier today, and mentioned the Nick Mangold contract. 8 yrs, 58ishMM, 20ish gtd.....
Old 03-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
Worried about Myers. His agent was on Sirius earlier today, and mentioned the Nick Mangold contract. 8 yrs, 58ishMM, 20ish gtd.....
I'm not sure Myers is worth that much, IMO, but whatcha gonna do? Myers is "solid" but not great... It would kind of suck to go through the whole bring-in-a-new-guy-and-get-him-up-to-speed thing....

Winston, OTOH, at one time, was part of the promising young players at his position that Kubes brought in. I think you could argue that he has fallen a few positions on the team list - the Texans now have a number of players at their respective positions that are doing a better job than Winston was doing at his....
Old 03-13-2012, 04:02 PM
All-Pro

Winston and brisel are more valuable to us because of our system and run game emphasis than they will be to most teams. Washington being penalized $36 million in cap space helps us more than anyone because of how valuable our guys are to them.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:14 PM
All-Pro

This Free Agency is rapidly sucking big-time for Texans fans with the prospect of 60 % of their OLine moving on else where.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Regular Starter

no way myers is worth that kind of money. let's not forget that a couple of eyars ago everyone was wanting him cut becuase he was getting pushed around by nts on a regular basis. he is too small to be a very effective center in a traditional blocking scheme. he is a great fit for the zone scheme, and if a team pays him a ton and puts him in a traditional scheme they will regret it.

i hope he ends up coming back and signing with the texans, but he is replaceable. now, losing the entire right side of your OL, that may be no be replaceable.