IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Regular Starter

Default Rumors?

anyone heard anything about work being done to resign foster, meyers, mario, etc?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Pro Bowler

Not yet. Too early, I guess.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Regular Starter

tags can start being designated on monday. i would have thought they would be working to lock people up and get everythign taken care of. i am hoping it is going on and they are just keeping it quiet, but with all the people covering the nfl i wouldn't think that a complete lockdown on information would be possible. hopefully i am wrong.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Hall of Fame

Some of the local radio guys have been speculating on the scenario of cutting DeMeco to keep Mario..... One of the factors is that DeMeco isn't on the field as much anymore and could be replaced with somebody like a Sharpton....
Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Some of the local radio guys have been speculating on the scenario of cutting DeMeco to keep Mario..... One of the factors is that DeMeco isn't on the field as much anymore and could be replaced with somebody like a Sharpton....
Or Dobbins. That guy became an All-time Texans hero for me with his 4th down, goalline stuff of Ray Rice. I thought Demeco played much better in the 2nd half of the season, but he is not a great fit for what we are asking and is way overpaid to be a guy who plays %40 of the snaps.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Regular Starter

just my guess, but i think they would redo ryans' contract as opposed to cut him. i think they know they have a great chemisty on the defensive side of the ball and will do all they can to keep it in tact.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:38 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadams View Post
just my guess, but i think they would redo ryans' contract as opposed to cut him. i think they know they have a great chemisty on the defensive side of the ball and will do all they can to keep it in tact.
I'm a huge DeMeco fan, but he's just a more valuable player to other teams that run a traditional 4-3 defense than he is here in Wades system where Cushing is really the only 3-down ILB. For this reason I think he's gone this or the next year whether or not Mario remains a Texan.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Pro Bowler

Wow! This a regurgitating development. I will have to think about a team without DeMEco. Makes the argument that we should have waited a year to Draft Willis.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadams View Post
Just as a matter of pride, I'd be surprised if Demeco would willingly take the paycut the Texans would want. I suspect he would take the position that the Texans should either honor his contract or cut him.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:17 PM
All-Pro

In Foster's case, it's likely the Texans will use their franchise tag on him, a reality that seems to sit fine with Mike McCartney, the two-time Pro Bowl back's agent.
"I think it's part of the business," McCartney told KBME-AM in Houston. "The ultimate goal is a long-term deal where this marriage continues. ... It's just part of the process. The Texans have to do what's right for them at the beginning of this, and we'll adjust accordingly. It won't offend us in any way. We'll do our best to have a long-term deal."
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bf5am?u...houston-texans
Fosters agent is apparently OK with his guy being tagged. Should we find his attitude surprising ? I dunno, interesting.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Regular Starter

i haven't read the article you liked yet, but this isn't too surprising given what foster said during super bowl week. i think there have been discussions already, and both sides know that a deal will get done. so the franchise tag would basically allow the texans to negotiate with their other free agents first who have a real chance of leaving, before getting foster's deal done.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Pro Bowler

Foster doesn't mind the franchise tage because, new contract or not, it will put him up there in the stratosphere moneywise.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Pro Bowler

Wish we'd hear some rumors about the Texans signing Mike Wallace. I know, I know... We don't have the $$. A man can dream, can't he?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:48 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Wish we'd hear some rumors about the Texans signing Mike Wallace. I know, I know... We don't have the $$. A man can dream, can't he?
Where to find that kind of cap/money ? Well I think it's arguable that the Texans would have a net improvement in their team by way of adding Wallace to their roster while dropping Mario ?
Old 02-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Regular Starter

The Packers are reportedly, and illegally, pursuing Chris Myers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Foster doesn't mind the franchise tage because, new contract or not, it will put him up there in the stratosphere moneywise.
I'm not sure if that's the case. It sounds like he's okay with it as a step towards getting a long-term contract but if he ends up going through the season under the franchise tag he may not be so thrilled. It would get him a lot more money this year than he made when he way outperformed his contract the last two seasons, but not nearly as much as he'd get with a multi-year contract in the neighborhood of those of the other top RBs. It would also put him in the position of once again not having the security of a long-term deal, so he'd bear the risk of an injury or other drop-off in production that might affect his 2013 market value.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
The Packers are reportedly, and illegally, pursuing Chris Myers.

I'm not sure if that's the case. It sounds like he's okay with it as a step towards getting a long-term contract but if he ends up going through the season under the franchise tag he may not be so thrilled. It would get him a lot more money this year than he made when he way outperformed his contract the last two seasons, but not nearly as much as he'd get with a multi-year contract in the neighborhood of those of the other top RBs. It would also put him in the position of once again not having the security of a long-term deal, so he'd bear the risk of an injury or other drop-off in production that might affect his 2013 market value.
Agreed. Players, coaches, GM's, owners are all a bunch of liars this time of year.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Regular Starter

PFT has an article saying that green bay has been talking to Meyers' agent. would not be good to lose him
Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 AM
All-Pro

Seattle announced the move less than 24 hours before the deadline for teams to use the franchise tag and Lynch would have been owed more than $7 million for one season if Seattle used the tag on him. A person with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press that Lynch's contract is worth $31 million, including $18 million guaranteed. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because terms of the deal were not officially announced.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...multiyear-deal
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &
18 million guaranteed is probably less than Foster would settle for, but I think it might be closer to what the Texans have in mind for him while Arian probably has
Chris Johnson money ( 30 million guaranteed) in mind, which is too much IMO.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:51 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Seattle announced the move less than 24 hours before the deadline for teams to use the franchise tag and Lynch would have been owed more than $7 million for one season if Seattle used the tag on him. A person with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press that Lynch's contract is worth $31 million, including $18 million guaranteed. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because terms of the deal were not officially announced.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...multiyear-deal
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &
18 million guaranteed is probably less than Foster would settle for, but I think it might be closer to what the Texans have in mind for him while Arian probably has
Chris Johnson money ( 30 million guaranteed) in mind, which is too much IMO.
Considering Lynch just signed this deal, Arian is about the least greedy guy in the NFL to take $43.5M over 5 years, $20.75M guaranteed. I know it's all relative and he is now a rich man, but it is still a great deal for us. Perfectly timed too. 5 year deal for a 26 year old back. He either plays out the contract or is gone in year 5, but barring injury we paid for the prime of a guy with low miles. That is about as good as it gets for big RB contracts.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Regular Starter

The way it SEEMS to be written, most of the money is paid out pretty quickly (30 mill first 3 years). That looks to me that we COULD let him go after year 3 with very little cap implication. At the end of year 3 he would have about 5 years of NFL wear and tear and we could have a better idea as to wether he will be able to play much after he turns 30.