IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Veteran Depth

Default Run Stuffers

Football Outsiders has been running a Stat of the Day during the playoffs leading up to the Super Bowl and this one features two Texans. From the article:

Quote:
Today, we'll look at which defensive linemen led the league in Stop Rate against the run. This measures Plays against the run (any tackle or assist, according to official play-by-play) which counts as successful under FO terms: preventing the offense from getting 45 percent of yards on first down, 60 percent on second down, or 100 percent on third and fourth down. Along with Stop Rate for each player, I'm running the average yardage gain when the player made a Play.

This year's leader is a big surprise.

Best Run Stop Rate for Defensive Linemen, 2009
(min. 16 run tackles)

Player
Team
Pos
Run Plays
Stop Rate
Avg Yds
95-S.Cody HOU DT 18 100% 1.4
77-C.Jenkins GB DE 19 95% 1.7
95-J.Babineaux ATL DT 35 94% 0.5
75-J.Parker PHI DE 16 94% 1.6
92-A.Franklin SF DT 30 93% 1.2
96-M.Spears DAL DE 22 91% 1.9
92-C.Davis ATL DE 19 89% 1.7
99-M.Wright NE DT 28 89% 2.6
92-S.Ellis NYJ DE 42 88% 2.0
94-J.Smith SF DE 42 88% 1.8
96-P.Soliai MIA DT 25 88% 2.1
90-M.Williams HOU DE 32 88% 1.4

Shaun Cody was just an average tackle for Detroit from 2005-2008, but he was a great run-stuffer for Houston after they added him to the starting lineup in Week 4. He was just one reason why the Texans were fifth in ALY after being 30th in 2008.
Shaun Cody as the league leader and Mario Williams in the top ten in DL defending against the run. I've got a feeling if they run the same stat for safeties, Pollard might be way up there too. Big change from the beginning of the year when we couldn't stop the run to save our lives.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:53 AM
All-Pro

Honestly I really don't know what to make of these stats ? They sound impressive but really how meaningful are they ?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Honestly I really don't know what to make of these stats ? They sound impressive but really how meaningful are they ?
The only thing that would make me question the value of this stat in this application is that Cody's got a smaller sample size. Some of the high percentage linemen (like Mario, Shaun Ellis, and Justin Smith) made considerably more stops than Cody. Part of this can be explained by Cody not starting until week four, but small sample sizes can distort. For instance, a higher amount of tackles could indicate a more active lineman - then again it could just indicate someone on a bad defense with more opportunities.

So, what does this tell us? It tells us that the average tackle Mario and Cody made were pretty damn close to the line of scrimmage (1.4 yards) and not further away. It tells us that most of their tackles were meaningful stops as they kept offenses from getting a meaningful amount of yardage and moving the chains. These weren't total-padding tackles, they shut down the opposing offense. And it tells us that they were consistent in holding up against the run.

And from a team perspective, we improved dramatically against the run in FO's statistics jumping from 30th last year to 5th this year, even with our slow start. Obviously that's not all on Cody (*cough*Cushing, Pollard*cough*) but these statistics seem to support the idea that he played a definite role in our improvement.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:07 PM
All-Pro

I guess if we are top 5 out of 32 teams in run defense that is doing pretty good, with many players contributing. You might not want to change too much. Being at the top of the stat is for sure better than being at the bottom of the stat. Way to go Shaun and Mario on this measure.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 AM
All-Pro

I am just glad that Cody got on the field. I'd like to see him more often. He also allowed Ryans and Cushing to roam freely without having to fight OL.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Pro Bowler

I would like to see Okoye have that good of a year this next year. And how about Okam, the man mountain that could if he wanted to, be the nose tackle we really need.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Regular Starter

I'd like to see Cody be able to move to the 3-tech on first and second downs and move to NT on 3rd downs.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:37 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I'd like to see Cody be able to move to the 3-tech on first and second downs and move to NT on 3rd downs.
I'd like to see him record 30 or more solo tackles. If he were on the field more, that would be a possibility. Okoye had 26 last year, but only 1.5 sacks. Okoye should have at least 5 sacks this year if he stays healthy.