IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 05-24-2008, 02:39 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I see it something like this, depending on injuries and retirements: LB, OL, CB/S, QB (to coach up for when Sage is gone), & finally RB.
No DE? Which OL position will you be looking at in the 2nd? OT/OG/OC?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Regular Starter

it's gotta be guard right?

brown-probably gets about 2 years to show what he is
pitts-solid, but played a few snaps
myers-should be solid
?briesel/weary/spencer?-i think briesel wins it out but he's no lock for a spot now or next year
winston-hopefully makes his career here
Old 06-19-2008, 11:05 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
it's gotta be guard right?

brown-probably gets about 2 years to show what he is
pitts-solid, but played a few snaps
myers-should be solid
?briesel/weary/spencer?-i think briesel wins it out but he's no lock for a spot now or next year
winston-hopefully makes his career here
That is how I see it also. Saw a mock with us taking William Moore, FS/SS, Missouri. That is a pick I could get behind.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:56 PM
On the Sidelines

Default Bpa

Hey everybody from HPF.

For the first time in the Texans history, I can honestly say (if the 2009 draft was held today) we take the best player available. We need to get younger at RB and DE and we'll always need to improve depth. But the front office has actually filled every need. Do we have probowlers at every position? No. Do we have proven experience at every position? No. But there comes a time where mere numbers don't help. A good example is in the secondary. We could take another CB on the first day of the draft but where does that leave Robinson, Reeves, Bennett, Molden, etc.? We will eventually have to start cutting first day picks. I think we need to take the BPA and let the younger guys develop.

A lot of what we do depends on the following:
How does Colvin work out at DE?
How does Okam work out at as our runstopper?
How do the CBs develop?
How does the RB situation work out?

I guess that was a wordy way of saying, take the BPA. But if I had to emphasize any positions they would probably be D-Line and CB. And if there's a franchise RB, you might want to take him.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Regular Starter

1. DE. Cut Weaver and his 6mil contract, lose only 1.5 mil dead money.
2. OLB. Cut Greenwood and his big contract.
3. TE to compete with and possibly beat out OD
4. BPA
5. BPA
6. BPA
7. BPA

We should have enough cap money to fill a couple or three needs with medium priced FA's. Like we have done this year with Brown, Colvin, and Reeves. I am totally against going for any 9 or 10 mil per year CB's WR's etc.

Disclaimer/ All this assumes we don't have any more career ending injuries like we had with DD, Spencer, and possibly Robinson.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtinylittle View Post
1. DE. Cut Weaver and his 6mil contract, lose only 1.5 mil dead money.
2. OLB. Cut Greenwood and his big contract.
3. TE to compete with and possibly beat out OD
4. BPA
5. BPA
6. BPA
7. BPA
a 3rd round rookie is going to beat out owen daniels in his 3rd year? i liked where you were headed til the 3rd round and don't get me wrong, if we come across a stud TE like that i have no problem giving kubiak another cannon to fire....but....c'mon man...
Old 07-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Post the Rosevelt signing, I would say it is simply the best player available, no matter what position, excluding QB. QB in the first nowadays seems to bring bad luck, or is it just my own experience talking here?
Old 07-07-2008, 07:18 AM
Regular Starter

just you NBT, there have been some good qb's in the first recently. carson palmer, eli manning, tim couch was pretty awesome....
Old 07-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
No DE because I think Colvin will be around for a couple of years. OL would be OT because you can always fit them in at OG if need be. OR OC as a backup to Meyers. I think we continue to tinker with RB in latter rounds just to keep the pot boiling.

I think this scouting staff is such that one or two diamonds in the dust will keep turning up in latter rounds too.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:50 PM
All-Pro

I agree BPA seems reasonable since we seem to have a reasonable mix of experience and developing youth at each position for now. See what happens and who's available between now and then. Seems a stud FS and most positions could perhaps find that diamond in the haystack. I do think this regime of scouts, GM, coaches are being consistently successful in draft so far.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
I think we continue to tinker with RB in latter rounds just to keep the pot boiling.
do you think if smithiak had any idea that mendenhall would fall they would've had a plan to grab him instead? or were they well aware of the OT run about to happen and there was no chance in hell they were taking a RB 1st round?

i don't believe for one second they expected him there, or that none of them were questioning their plan when they realized he had fallen.

my point is that this team, being pretty even as far as talent across positions, anything is possible in the 1st regardless of denver's draft history.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
do you think if smithiak had any idea that mendenhall would fall they would've had a plan to grab him instead? .
Actually, I think you may have that backwards. If Brown hadn't been there they might have taken Mendenhall. They were, IMO, determined to get a quality LT and I think the only two other guys that they would have been interested in were gone. They took a fairly big gamble/risk trading back to get the 2 extra picks, but it worked.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Pro Bowler

In a couple of years, when we see how Brown, Slaton, and Barber have worked out, will we be able to tell for sure. But I will predict now that all 3 will be doing well.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Actually, I think you may have that backwards. If Brown hadn't been there they might have taken Mendenhall. They were, IMO, determined to get a quality LT and I think the only two other guys that they would have been interested in were gone. They took a fairly big gamble/risk trading back to get the 2 extra picks, but it worked.
you're saying you think they would've taken mendenhall if they didn't believe brown was attainable? they had a shot at both so i'm not totally sure what you mean...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:24 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
they had a shot at both so i'm not totally sure what you mean...
That's actually what I mean. As long as both were available they would select Brown, but if Brown was already off the board, then they might have taken Mendenhall. I'm still not sure they would have actually done it as Kubes & Gibbs don't seem to like to take 1st round RBs.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Regular Starter

ah, i see now.

i think if the right guy was in the 1st, available, and we were up kubiak wouldn't hesistate. the denver myth thing has kind of been busted anyway...
Old 09-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Pro Bowler

Well, after the Pgh game, I sure don't know squat. Colvin was a bust (cut), Brown the "glassman" is on I/R *&^%$!, Ahman as someone predicted is hurt, and Schaub stunk up the house. Of course Kubiak and Richard Smith have to take their share of the gloom & doom too. I am feeling about 2" above whale manure today, and whale manure is on the very bottom of the ocean!!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Regular Starter

whales poop? weird, i never thought about that...

anyway...i think if anything the pittsburgh game shows we need someone who can cover up the middle of the field. OLB, S, whatever.

my needs now:
1. S
2. DE
3. RB/OLB
4-7. OL/DL/RB
Old 09-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Pro Bowler

Well KJ, after the Tacks game, do you still stand by your prediction? This team is disorganized like Casserley's was. So what do we do? I say cut the fat, and get down to the players that want to win, pick up players as they become available from other teams, OR just quit and wait till next year (gag!).
Old 09-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No DE because I think Colvin will be around for a couple of years. OL would be OT because you can always fit them in at OG if need be. OR OC as a backup to Meyers. I think we continue to tinker with RB in latter rounds just to keep the pot boiling.

I think this scouting staff is such that one or two diamonds in the dust will keep turning up in latter rounds too.
Well, I really blew it on Colvin. He didn't even get out of TC. So now we are having trouble with our pass rush, as I feared.