B or B- 13 50.00%
C+ 3 11.54%
C or C- 0 0%
D (+ or -) 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2008, 12:33 PM
All-Pro

At this point, the majority of the poll is saying "B or B-".

...and I'd have to concur. My grade is a solid "B".

With no second round pick, Brown will eventually determine if this is an "A" or a "C". Molden is a small-school guy that has that boom/bust potential like Jacoby Jones was last year. Slaton is a good choice if he isn't overworked and he learns not to fumble. He needs to be part of a RB-by-committee, not the feature back. Adibi is another guy who will be great if he fits a role. Okam has the greatest boom/bust potential of anyone we selected but, as a fifth-round choice, he is low risk for the Texans and therefore an excellent choice. The last two choices are likely training camp fodder.

The trade-down was essential in making this draft a solid one. As I asked someone on another board, would you rather have Mendenhall or would you rather have Brown, Slaton and Barber? Not to mention we probably saved cap money by trading down.

Two good drafts the past two years and the addition of revered coaches Alex Gibbs and Ray Rhodes give Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith a "benefit of the doubt" for now. Once we see these guys on the field and see how they fit into the squad, we'll be better able to assess how well we drafted.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Training Camp Fodder

I forgot to mention Barber. Our safety play has been downright atrocious the last couple of years. Almost anyone would be an upgrade. It could have been the coaching, but I don't ever recall seeing a team have the safeties out of position as often as the Texans safeties have been the last couple of years.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Default Barber

I either read or heard that Rhodes was the in-house coach evaluating/interviewing safeties after they were targeted by the scouts. It was also stated that he stood on the table to draft Barber. He either sees something others don't or he owes Dominique's Daddy a favor. In either case he may turnout to be better than just a Special Teams Player.....that would also bump the draft into the high "B" range (6/7=86% in some form of playing rotation); Brink will probably be practice squad if he shows any talent.

I guess you also would have to count Schaub (2nd) and Meyer (6th) in the draft and both will play; so, that's a low A (8/9=89%). This may be a skewed way of looking at the draft, but, it's just as good as pulling something out of my tailend.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Drafted Rookie

B-. The Texans did the best they could with the hand they were dealt.

A couple points on Brown:
1) I'd rather them take the guy they wanted earlier than he was projected than try and get too cutesy with trade downs and miss out. Maybe they could've traded down again with Seattle and still got him, maybe not.
2) He may be a project, but he didn't go to North Southeastern Lousiana State Technical College or something. He played OT for three years at one of the top colleges and conferences in the country...that counts for something.

Molden - Love the recovery speed. All rookie CBs have trouble adjusting. The recovery speed Molden has (and Cason lacks) will soften those intial blows.

Slaton - Not my favorite pick, but gravy after the trade down.

Adibi - Great value, hopefully spells the beginning of the end for Greenwood. Looks good on a blitz too.

Okam - Good value again. Could be a monster but I'm not expecting any miracles.

Barber - The "drafting SSs late" thing is getting old.

Brink - Who cares? It's funny how people are killing this 7TH ROUND pick.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:03 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickO View Post
B-. The Texans did the best they could with the hand they were dealt.

A couple points on Brown:
1) I'd rather them take the guy they wanted earlier than he was projected than try and get too cutesy with trade downs and miss out. Maybe they could've traded down again with Seattle and still got him, maybe not.
2) He may be a project, but he didn't go to North Southeastern Lousiana State Technical College or something. He played OT for three years at one of the top colleges and conferences in the country...that counts for something.
According to one of the NFLn guys, his source had another team picking after Houston did wanting Brown in the 1st. So any trade down would have cost them their last chance on one of 4 guys they claim could play the OLT for them in this draft. So again the teams have do what NickO is saying and take their guys when they can, not when we or the TV gurus think they should.

I like the pick more and more. And add the two extra picks and this could go down as the best move in the Texans draft history.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
According to one of the NFLn guys, his source had another team picking after Houston did wanting Brown in the 1st. So any trade down would have cost them their last chance on one of 4 guys they claim could play the OLT for them in this draft. So again the teams have do what NickO is saying and take their guys when they can, not when we or the TV gurus think they should.

I like the pick more and more. And add the two extra picks and this could go down as the best move in the Texans draft history.
I heard the same thing.

http://www.nfl.com/videos

You have to go to grading the AFC South video. TD liked the Slaton pick as well.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:31 AM
All-Pro

“We came up one pick short,” said Turner, who along with the rest of the Chargers brass watched Houston trade into the 26th spot and take tackle Duane Brown of Virginia Tech.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...8chargers.html
In case you hadn't already seen this (its making the rounds), its kinda reassuring for some like myself that others see the upside that Smith, Kubiak, & Gibbs do.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
“We came up one pick short,” said Turner, who along with the rest of the Chargers brass watched Houston trade into the 26th spot and take tackle Duane Brown of Virginia Tech.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...8chargers.html
In case you hadn't already seen this (its making the rounds), its kinda reassuring for some like myself that others see the upside that Smith, Kubiak, & Gibbs do.
I have seen several people who liked the pick. The most notable, I can think of, that I saw didnt like it was Todd McShay; however, give me anyone's opinion and an empty sack, and you have an empty sack.....No pun intended.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Pro Bowler

I gave our Draft a B+.
I wasn't around this board during the Draft, but the thing is we have been blamed for not taking that elusive OLT almost from the beginning of this franchise. This year the coaches made up their minds that this was the year for the OLT to happen. We pretty much figured that all the high profile OLTs would be taken off the board by the 18th pick, so Rick Smith did a gutsy thing in trading down to #26. We had to sweat it out hoping someone woudn't tradeup and take Duane Brown from under us. So we got someone that was supposedly a coach Gibbs favorite.

#2 of course was QB Schaub. We musn't lose sight of that.
#3a CB Molden was coach Hoke's pick.
#3b. Was a bonus RB in Steve Slaton.
#4 LB Adibi. If he can overcome the injury bug and muscle up, his speed will be a big asset.
#5 DT Okam is the question mark of the Draft. If he wants it, we could have a gem.
#6a Was traded to Denver for OC Chris Meyers. Good.
#6b Another bonus. A safety for coach Rhoades in the person of Dominique Barber.
#7 A QB project for coach Kubiak
Old 06-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Regular Starter

i hate to do it but for right now (as in, not next year or in two years when grading drafts actually has a purpose) i have to give the draft an A+.

it filled needs. that's all you can ask for right now.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Pro Bowler

By this time next year KJ, I hope to agree with you.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Regular Starter

yea me too. i know that's unrealistic but that's the grade for this year's draft as best we can tell. traded down to cover loss of picks, still got our guy at a cheaper price, filled top 3 needs in order, filled next 3 needs too and with high potential guys. can't ask for much more than that.

2008-honestly this is probably going to turn out a B-. brown will probably struggle for a few games at least but may show the signs at the end of the year. molden and slaton probably fill their roles well as 3rd CB/3rd down RB. adibi is probably quality depth and hell on wheels as a special team gunner. okam may move it to a B+ if he does well or a C+ if he is god awful. barber probably makes the PS and alex brink is at least 3 years of soaking in everything kubiak says and clip board holding away from anything.

now if we were to grade last year's draft....or even the one before it....

2007-B+ amobi okoye looks to make some noise in his 2nd year, fred bennett looks to continue to be a playmaker, and zac diles looks to be starting as a 7th round pick. harrison is competing for a spot at safety but probably ends up as quality depth. frye and studdard i don't expect much more than to be depth but the pick holding this draft back from "A" status is the 3rd round pick jacoby jones. as much as we all fell in love with him it's time to show why...in real games. i think he has it in him, just a matter of doing it. 3 starters, 1 special teamer who could develop into a gifted reciever, 1 quality depth and 2 depth. B+

2006-A+ mario williams and demeco ryans (the droy) are putting this defense into the "tough" category. eric winston has made himself a cornerstone of the O'line and though charles spencer is questionable to ever play again we all saw what he was looking to be. owen daniels has made himself into a solid tight end with room to grow. wali lundy and david anderson almost don't even matter that neither will ever be anything. 5 starters, 1 who we hope can play an any fashion even as guard depth. 1 probowler, 1 who will be a probowler and 2 who possibly could be probowlers. hard to beat a draft like this.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Pro Bowler

I don't want to jinx the guy, but I am already thinking we got a really good evaluater when we got Rick Smith. Not yet a MichelAngelo of G.M.'s, but given time............
Old 06-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Drafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
i have to give the draft an A+.
You can't take credit for my A+ vote. Go vote your own A+.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Regular Starter

it's mine now!!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Regular Starter

We are a long way from grading these guys or really knowing what the careers will be like, but now that the lights are turned on, I have been impressed with my not really noticing Duane Brown and liking what Slaton has done so far, and Moulden has impressed everyone in camp. Adibi will be a special teams ace this year and will be a starter next year.

Hopefully Duane can continue to impress again after playing the Cowboys this weekend. This should really help give him some looks against the 3-4 that we will be seeing opening week. I watched the Saints game twice this week and he did a really nice job in pass pro, but he will be tested this week.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Hopefully Duane can continue to impress again after playing the Cowboys this weekend. This should really help give him some looks against the 3-4 that we will be seeing opening week. I watched the Saints game twice this week and he did a really nice job in pass pro, but he will be tested this week.
demarcus ware still on the cowboys? he's got to be the toughest competition duane has faced so far if so. i mean, hehe...aside from mario everyday. i haven't really noticed him either but i'm almost sure that's okay.

slaton did what so many people talk about....blocking for the qb. well, the kid did it...against a guy who he probably gave up 40 pounds to if not more. deserves the attention/reps he's getting and i hope they make him deserve it more and more each week instead of just throwing over the reigns because he is a viable option.

i thought molden looked good in coverage. he got beat but it was a damn good throw from a guy who has been around the block. almost identical to the throw that beat dunta in the titans game when i think about it. i hope they keep playing him instead of reeves.

okam has not been impressive. adibi....well....i don't think i've seen him. not like duane brown, i actually haven't seen him on the field...
Old 11-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Pro Bowler

About halfway through the 2008 season now, and we can look back a little bit and say the gift #3B pick of Slaton was an A+. The picks still in limbo are #4 Adibi (he can't seem to hold weight, and thus he can't get on the field), and #5 Okam (why hasn't he had a chance to get in the game?).

#1 OLT Duane Brown is doing OK, but he will need to beef up in the offseason, and improve his conditioning to better stand the long NFL season.

So other than Brown and Slaton, i would have to give us an incomplete grade for this Draft.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Regular Starter

I think Adibi looked good in the limited time he saw on Sunday. I don't know why he's "sick" every week, but I'd love for him to get some PT before the end of the season to see what we have with him.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I think Adibi looked good in the limited time he saw on Sunday. I don't know why he's "sick" every week, but I'd love for him to get some PT before the end of the season to see what we have with him.

Seems like I read where he's having trouble keeping his weight up. I don't know if it's because they want him to be heavier, or if there was some kind of illness that was making him lose weight. I hope they get it straightened out though.

Greenwood is hurt so Adibi might get the start next week:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6105574.html

I make that move anyway. Greenwood had his best year as a Texan last year, but the dropoff has been dramatic this year. It's obvious he's not going to be in the long term plans and probably gets cut. See X play the last few games so we know how big a need WLB is in the offseason.