IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2017, 07:35 PM
All-Pro

A bad corner for an All Pro LT. When I say that McNair isn't interested in winning, this is what I'm talking about.

Good for Duane, though, Paul Allen is twenty times the man McNeck is. And as a city Seattle smokes Necktown in every conceivable way.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:53 PM
Regular Starter

Chuck, are you ever self aware enough to realize you are exactly what you claim to despise? Spend half your time stereotyping people and saying they are worthless. And best I can tell, you hate about half the population on nothing more than your fevered imagination. A card carrying racist usually only hates about 25% of the population, and that's on a good day. Take that!

Good thing we have you to lead the charge against bias and hate or things could really get ugly.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:41 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
A bad corner for an All Pro LT. When I say that McNair isn't interested in winning, this is what I'm talking about.

Good for Duane, though, Paul Allen is twenty times the man McNeck is. And as a city Seattle smokes Necktown in every conceivable way.
Who are Arian Foster, Morris, Vonta Leach, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Ryan Clady, Logan Mankins, Justin Smith, Vince Wilfork, Aldon Smith, Demarcus Ware, Patrick Willis, Daryl Washington, London Fletcher, Charles Tillman, Tim Jennings, Champ Bailey, David Wilson, Jacoby Jones, and Leodis McKelvin?

Guys who were All-Pros as recently as Duane Brown (2012) but are now retired or out of football.

Nice try using a 5 year old all-pro status to try to knock a deal. You are almost pavlovian. Someone rings the bell by mentioning anything related to the Texans front office and you start slavering and yelling "Necks! Texas! McNair! Smith!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7g0862r2qU
Old 10-30-2017, 09:02 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
And best I can tell, you hate about half the population on nothing more than your fevered imagination.
Considerably more than that, I would have thought, but as always I do appreciate your optimism.

Duane Brown was the best offensive lineman on the field yesterday. You guys are fine with trading him for some scrub because he mouthed off about McNeck? Fine, that's your choice. But don't try to argue that McNeck is trying to win because he most certainly is not.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:57 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Considerably more than that, I would have thought, but as always I do appreciate your optimism.

Duane Brown was the best offensive lineman on the field yesterday. You guys are fine with trading him for some scrub because he mouthed off about McNeck? Fine, that's your choice. But don't try to argue that McNeck is trying to win because he most certainly is not.
I don't care what he said to McNair.

I care that he doesn't want to be here and just skipped 6 games. I care that he's an above average player these days and 32 years old and has seen his best days. I care that while he can help protect Watson, the timeline of his remaining good days does not match up with when Watson has a chance to win. I care that he has only one year left after this lost season. I care that he has no guaranteed money left and it costs nothing to trade him. I care that we got a 2nd round pick and a 5th round pick back. And I care that this was our last chance to get any value for him.

If this trade was reversed and we sent out a 2nd rounder for a discontented 32 year old LT you would be pouring out the same stream of invective about the same people.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:05 PM
All-Pro

I'll say this again. Duane Brown was the best offensive lineman on the field yesterday, on either team. And it was not close. And he hadn't played in nearly a year.

The Texans have a quarterback who is probably top five in the league TODAY, and they risk getting him permanently disfigured with the cast of rejects and horrible second round picks they masquerade as an offensive line.

Lane is terrible. That's not to say he won't improve the team's secondary. For all I know he'll distinguish himself as the team's best corner. But, as we saw yesterday, he was benched by the Seahawks in favor of an unheralded rookie.

And speaking of second round picks, the one the team garners with this trade won't make an impact for years, and once he does, based on history, it's difficult to say whether that impact will in fact be largely positive.

Of course the team could bundle that pick with others and try to make a move in next year's draft. As usual there are plenty of holes, and I haven't looked at which FA OL and CB/S are poised to be available next year. But for once in our lives as Texans fans the most important position is spoken for, loudly. And I'd sort of like to keep him out of the hospital if at all possible. And swapping Duane Brown for Chris Clark or Kendall Lamm or whoever TF they bring in is not going to cut it.

I see this as punting on this season and, significantly, exposing your best player to unnecessary risk in order to satisfy a blood lust for someone who publicly shamed the organization. As I would have predicted, the necks love it. Good riddance! Harrumph! they cry. But, as I said, this is a shining example of what I have always maintained - the owner is not principally concerned with winning.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:31 AM
All-Pro

I've been saying for weeks we should trade Brown while he had value but I wouldn't have believed they could get a 2nd, even one that's for 2019, and to get a 5th next year and a malcontent corner in the deal too is just gravy.

Our old bud, Julie'N Fries, from the same draft as Watson, got some snaps at LT yesterday so the coaches must think he's getting close to ready. Julie'N is as raw as Kathy Griffin on a bender but Duano was a raw rookie once himself back when Dubya was president. Watson survived six weeks without Duano so here's hoping he can last the next nine without him.

I'd say the odds are 50/50 those two picks we just got will be packaged to replace the Osweiler 2nd we gave to Cleveland.

As for this season, at best would be like the last two-getting stomped in the playoffs with no J.J., no Mercilus and no Cushing (our next major salary dump0
Old 10-31-2017, 03:44 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
And as a city Seattle smokes Necktown in every conceivable way.
Operative word being "smokes". Great place if you love rain, grunge, $15/hr barristas and potheads. Seattle is like the Mariners - intriguing at first but just depressing after awhile.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:30 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Operative word being "smokes". Great place if you love rain, grunge, $15/hr barristas and potheads. Seattle is like the Mariners - intriguing at first but just depressing after awhile.
Contrary to rep it doesn't really rain that much in Seattle, but it's just overcast and misty much of the time where it's common to go weeks or even months with very little sunshine. There's good reasons why many folks in Seattle are afflicted with SAD (seasonal effective diorder), but the scenery of the PAC-NW is spectacular, just go in the summer.
But I don't know what to make of this trade yet ? Anyway if Brown wasn't gone, but once he assumed the role of the Texans' players club house lawyer with his comments about the owners faux pas you had to know he was history very soon.
If Jimmy Garoppolo brings the Pats only a single second-round pic, how to handicap this deal ?
Old 10-31-2017, 09:22 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
I'll say this again. Duane Brown was the best offensive lineman on the field yesterday, on either team. And it was not close. And he hadn't played in nearly a year.

The Texans have a quarterback who is probably top five in the league TODAY, and they risk getting him permanently disfigured with the cast of rejects and horrible second round picks they masquerade as an offensive line.

Lane is terrible. That's not to say he won't improve the team's secondary. For all I know he'll distinguish himself as the team's best corner. But, as we saw yesterday, he was benched by the Seahawks in favor of an unheralded rookie.

And speaking of second round picks, the one the team garners with this trade won't make an impact for years, and once he does, based on history, it's difficult to say whether that impact will in fact be largely positive.

Of course the team could bundle that pick with others and try to make a move in next year's draft. As usual there are plenty of holes, and I haven't looked at which FA OL and CB/S are poised to be available next year. But for once in our lives as Texans fans the most important position is spoken for, loudly. And I'd sort of like to keep him out of the hospital if at all possible. And swapping Duane Brown for Chris Clark or Kendall Lamm or whoever TF they bring in is not going to cut it.

I see this as punting on this season and, significantly, exposing your best player to unnecessary risk in order to satisfy a blood lust for someone who publicly shamed the organization. As I would have predicted, the necks love it. Good riddance! Harrumph! they cry. But, as I said, this is a shining example of what I have always maintained - the owner is not principally concerned with winning.
Brown was our best OL Sunday. He'd be our best OL the rest of the year. That's not up for debate.

Brown was the 14th rated OT last year. There is no way he was going to be better as he got older. He'll play at most 10 games this year after playing 12 last year and 14 the year before. None of those things are up for debate.

I will not pretend the comments this week were not a part of him getting dealt. I think Brown made those comments to get out (I'm not saying he doesn't believe them, but I think he knew it was a get out of jail free card). I am amazed that with McNair's comment and Brown's comments swirling we got a 2nd and a 5th.

I have no problem with punting on this season. This season was lost as soon as Watt and Mercilous got hurt. I'm also not overly worried this exposes Watson. The odds that he gets hurt on the 2-3 extra sacks and 10-15 extra hits (maximum) that Watson takes with Clark vs Brown are very small. The odds that whatever injury he might take because of Clark playing being an injury that affects him going forward after this season are even smaller. I think the odds those picks help us more than Duane Brown in 2018 and beyond are way higher than the odds Watson is hurt in 2018 and beyond because Duane Brown wasn't here in 2017.

And again, I say you'd complain just as loudly with the same complaints if we traded a 2nd round pick for a mostly used up guy on the back end of his career.

Last edited by barrett; 10-31-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:11 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
And again, I say you'd complain just as loudly with the same complaints if we traded a 2nd round pick for a mostly used up guy on the back end of his career.
How loudly do you suppose I'd complain if the Texans, oh, I don't know, gave away a second round pick to get rid of a 70 million dollar albatross who put up historically terrible numbers and could not even make the team in Cleveland?
Old 10-31-2017, 02:26 PM
All-Pro

This basically says what I've been trying to say but with more stats and fewer gratuitous insults:

https://www.battleredblog.com/2017/1...de-an-analysis
Old 10-31-2017, 04:54 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
How loudly do you suppose I'd complain if the Texans, oh, I don't know, gave away a second round pick to get rid of a 70 million dollar albatross who put up historically terrible numbers and could not even make the team in Cleveland?
I don't think anyone alive (and certainly anyone on this board) has complained louder or longer about the Texans handling of the QB position. It was embarrassing when we signed Osweiller, and it was embarrassing we had to pay to get rid of him 12 months later.

That doesn't impact whether a 2nd and 5th is a good return for Duane Brown.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:59 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
This basically says what I've been trying to say but with more stats and fewer gratuitous insults:

https://www.battleredblog.com/2017/1...de-an-analysis
Lots of stats to show Brown is better than not-Brown.

Anyone who was debating that is an idiot.

The better question to me is what helps you more in an effort to win a championship. 25 or less games of Duane Brown, or a 5th and 2nd round pick? Because we aren't winning any titles this year even with 5 Browns. Next year is a real possibility as good as Watson is (assuming Mercilous comes back). But next year will also have JJ Watt's shell taking up 1/5 of our cap. Of course the way we run things, we'll keep paying JJ until 2025 because the locals love him. We will at least pretend he comes back next year and will keep paying him until at least 2020.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:51 PM
Hall of Fame

Some have been making the case that keeping Brown around was not worth the headache.... YMMV

The schedule really lightens up a bit.

Sun, Nov 5 vs Indianapolis 1:00 PM CBS
Sun, Nov 12 @ Los Angeles 4:05 PM CBS
Sun, Nov 19 vs Arizona 1:00 PM FOX
Mon, Nov 27 @ Baltimore 8:30 PM ESPN/WatchESPN
Sun, Dec 3 @ Tennessee 1:00 PM CBS
Sun, Dec 10 vs San Francisco 1:00 PM FOX

Can't see the Texans being large dogs in any of these - LAR and Baltimore on the road being the likely candidates for the small underdog role....
Old 10-31-2017, 06:11 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
CB Jeremy Lane failed his physical. Texans trade Brown and a 5th in 2018 and a third round pick from seattle in 2018 and a second in 2019.
https://twitter.com/mcclain_on_nfl/s...96643167940608
Old 10-31-2017, 06:17 PM
Regular Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I will not pretend the comments this week were not a part of him getting dealt. I think Brown made those comments to get out (I'm not saying he doesn't believe them, but I think he knew it was a get out of jail free card). I am amazed that with McNair's comment and Brown's comments swirling we got a 2nd and a 5th.
I see what you did there...
Old 10-31-2017, 06:51 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Wow.

--------------
Old 10-31-2017, 07:02 PM
Regular Starter

I don't think the trade was any sort of revenge for Brown speaking out on Inmategate. He wanted out. There was some speculation, before McNair's comments became public, that Brown returning when he did (a week earlier than necessary to get credit for the season) and the Texans getting him immediately into the lineup (although he was also the best option, even if rusty) was part of an understanding that it was necessary to show the Seahawks and whatever other teams might've been interested that Brown was healthy, in shape, and ready to go after the holdout.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:17 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
That's huge. I wouldn't have minded a warm body for our secondary, but it had no real value. A 3rd round pick does. And I love that he failed his physical because he got hurt against us 2 days ago.