IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 12-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Pro Bowler

Default GBN 2009 Mock Draft 12-02-08

http://www.gbnreport.com/2009projection.html

I would be happy with the selection of FS Will Moore with the 12th pick in the 2009 Draft. See for yourself above.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Regular Starter

I wouldn't have a problem with him there....and I'd be just as happy with with Davis or Mays in that spot too.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 PM
All-Pro

I could easily see a top safety in first round about no. 12 for Texans.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Regular Starter

I think it's pretty silly to be putting out mocks right now, much less discussing them.

That being said, it would be beyond ridiculous to take a safety when you have equally/better rated CB, RB, DT, DE, and LB drafted directly behind him - all of which are bigger needs and bigger impact positions.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Regular Starter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

That being said, it would be beyond ridiculous to take a safety when you have equally/better rated CB, RB, DT, DE, and LB drafted directly behind him - all of which are bigger needs and bigger impact positions.

That might be true in a general sense. Most teams value CB, DT's, DE's, and LB's more than safeties. In our case I think taking a safety is understandable. I think it's silly to say best player available because we know teams don't do that. You have to balance needs with who's available. If it's an absolute dead heat between a safety and a corner...then go for the bigger need. If you like the safety better, take him. I think the idea that a safety isn't an impact position is blown out of proportion. Especially if we keep playing as much zone as we have this year.

Look at how much our defense improved last year with the addition of Will Demps...who I consider a below average safety. Safety play has been a huge weak spot for this team. I think an impact safety is rare, but if you've got one you think can be that guy you go ahead and take them. Look at the impact that Polamalu and Sanders have for their team. Of course with Pitt, there's enough other good players to allow Polamalu to freelance and make plays, but a defense is only as strong as it weakest link. If you've got a chance to upgrade a weakness then position shouldn't play that big of a role.

I also disagree that all of the positions you listed are a bigger need. Why take a RB in the first when he will likely serve as a compliment to Slaton. I'm all for having a two headed monster and have no problem taking a RB next year, esp. if it's in the middle part of the round...but I wouldn't necessarily call it a bigger need. I do consider every position on the defensive side of the ball a need, but I could argue with myself all day over which is the biggest area of concern so I'm not going to quibble with you over it .

I think mocks are silly this time of year too. Way too much changes once the TV experts stop predicitng and the real personnel guys start really working the draft....it's friday though and I don't feel like working so what the hell.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:23 PM
All-Pro

Safety is a far more important position in the NFL today. Ed Reed may be the best and most valuable defensive player of the last 5 years. Polamalu and Bob Sanders are right there with him. A guy with Reed's range and ball skills, or Polamalu's play making and general havoc wreaking abilities can be a game changer. Bob Sanders has more impact on Run Defense than any MLB in the NFL. It is definitely becoming one of the Premier positions in the NFL.

I would go S before I went CB, RB, or LB with our roster. Probably before DE as well since I think what we need can be had for less (one dimensional part time edge rusher).

A great DT is the only thing I would take before a great safety. And that is just because good DTs are so hard to find. Now with that said I have no idea if there even any great safeties available (at least not if their are any like the guys I mentioned).
Old 12-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Safety is a far more important position in the NFL today. Ed Reed may be the best and most valuable defensive player of the last 5 years. Polamalu and Bob Sanders are right there with him. A guy with Reed's range and ball skills, or Polamalu's play making and general havoc wreaking abilities can be a game changer. Bob Sanders has more impact on Run Defense than any MLB in the NFL. It is definitely becoming one of the Premier positions in the NFL.

I would go S before I went CB, RB, or LB with our roster. Probably before DE as well since I think what we need can be had for less (one dimensional part time edge rusher).
I agree. A safety like Reed would take our defense to another level.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
That might be true in a general sense. Most teams value CB, DT's, DE's, and LB's more than safeties. In our case I think taking a safety is understandable. I think it's silly to say best player available because we know teams don't do that. You have to balance needs with who's available. If it's an absolute dead heat between a safety and a corner...then go for the bigger need. If you like the safety better, take him. I think the idea that a safety isn't an impact position is blown out of proportion. Especially if we keep playing as much zone as we have this year.

Look at how much our defense improved last year with the addition of Will Demps...who I consider a below average safety. Safety play has been a huge weak spot for this team. I think an impact safety is rare, but if you've got one you think can be that guy you go ahead and take them. Look at the impact that Polamalu and Sanders have for their team. Of course with Pitt, there's enough other good players to allow Polamalu to freelance and make plays, but a defense is only as strong as it weakest link. If you've got a chance to upgrade a weakness then position shouldn't play that big of a role.

I also disagree that all of the positions you listed are a bigger need. Why take a RB in the first when he will likely serve as a compliment to Slaton. I'm all for having a two headed monster and have no problem taking a RB next year, esp. if it's in the middle part of the round...but I wouldn't necessarily call it a bigger need. I do consider every position on the defensive side of the ball a need, but I could argue with myself all day over which is the biggest area of concern so I'm not going to quibble with you over it .

I think mocks are silly this time of year too. Way too much changes once the TV experts stop predicitng and the real personnel guys start really working the draft....it's friday though and I don't feel like working so what the hell.
Obviously no one in their right mind could argue against drafting Troy Polamalu or Bob Sanders. Both guys are game changers and would help any team. But, when I hear first round safety, I think more along the lines of Reggie Nelson, Dante Whitner, or LaRon Landry; good, but not great players and certainly not game changers.

So, if it starts to look like Moore or Mays is going to be more of an Ed Reed than a Michael Huff, then I'd have no problem drafting them. But, that's not my impression (at all) and I think it'd be ridiculous to draft either of them over an impact DT (Cody), CB (Davis), LB (Laurinaitis), et al.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Pro Bowler

And yet Sanders lasted till the second round the year he was drafted!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:39 PM
All-Pro

I'd take a great DT over anything else. Don't see CB as that big for us. Great Defenses don't all necessarily have great CBs but they all rush the passer and stop the run with their front. Next up I might honestly go QB if their was one we loved available (kind of like Denver went cutler mid 1st when Plummer was still solid). After that it would have to be BPA for me and a great safety could fit that role (though like I said I have no idea if their is one).

I also don't see LB as a huge need. We could upgrade in middle like so many want, but with Adibi and Diles playing very good this year, the impact of a great MLB and shifting Demeco outside is not like it could have been the year willis was out there and we still had Greenwood and Anderson outside.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Pro Bowler

Will we ever get the Dline settled? After 3 first round players playing on our Dline, we still haven't got it settled. But yes, I agree, Dline is the most important objective (to me) in next years draft.

DT B.J. Raji Boston College, would do it for me.

Last edited by NBT; 12-07-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Obviously no one in their right mind could argue against drafting Troy Polamalu or Bob Sanders. Both guys are game changers and would help any team. But, when I hear first round safety, I think more along the lines of Reggie Nelson, Dante Whitner, or LaRon Landry; good, but not great players and certainly not game changers.

So, if it starts to look like Moore or Mays is going to be more of an Ed Reed than a Michael Huff, then I'd have no problem drafting them. But, that's not my impression (at all) and I think it'd be ridiculous to draft either of them over an impact DT (Cody), CB (Davis), LB (Laurinaitis), et al.
Dan Wilkonson was supposed to be one those "revolutionize the game" type DT's. He had a nice career, but was never a game changer. No one really knows who will be the truly great player....like NBT said Sanders made it to the second round. The risk is the same with Cody, Davis, or LOD jr or Mays or Moore. All you can do is do is your scouting and go with the one you like the most. I think position (outside of QB) should only be a factor when your split between two players.

I'm not as high on Moore, but that's far from a well informed opinion.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Pro Bowler

After the game yesterday where the GB receiver caught a long ball in double coverage with Reeves and Harrison right on him, I think FS is the biggest need. While we were on him neither one of our guys turned for the ball.