IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 04-24-2015, 10:26 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
#42 DB Eric Rowe

I selected Rowe over Stephone Anthony because I figured I would get an athletic ILB later, but wouldn't be able to get a FS who could also play CB. Mike Mayock now believes Damarious Randall is the #1 prospect over Landon Collins, so go figure.
Just saw that Mayock has moved up Eric Rowe to a tie for 5th best CB with Byron Jones.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:45 PM
All-Pro

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...am-projections

Houston Texans

Round 1 (16): Breshad Perriman, WR, UCF
Round 2 (51): Eric Rowe, CB, Utah
Round 3 (82): Jaquiski Tartt, S, Samford
Round 4 (116): Max Garcia, C, Florida
Round 5 (152): Bryce Hager, ILB, Baylor
Round 5 (175): Karlos Williams, RB, Florida State
Round 6 (195): Darrian Miller, G, Kentucky
Round 6 (211): Zach Wagenmann, OLB, Montana
Round 6 (216): Tray Walker, CB, Texas Southern
Round 7 (235): Tayo Fabuluje, G, TCU

I'm okay with Perriman, his hands aren't that bad. Andre used to frustrate me early in his career too, but if he makes enough plays, you live with it.

I love Eric Rowe, unfortunately QB Bryce Petty was selected at #41 by the Rams. I couldn't believe the Jaquiski Tartt pick. I would have taken Chickillo or even Marpet and it killed me that the Patriots selected both with #96 and #97.

I understand the Max Garcia pick, which is why I was looking for Marpet. Very pleased with Karlos Williams (good RB pick at about the right time).

Not having drafted an OLB earlier, I can understant the Zach Wagenmann selection. Pretty decent mock.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:44 PM
All-Pro

Another Fanspeak.com mock draft without trading :

#16 OLB Eli Harold
#51 WR Breshad Perriman
#82 QB Bryce Petty
#116 ILB Jake Ryan
#152 TE Mycole Pruitt
#175 DL Derrick Lott
#195 CB Justin Coleman
#211 RB Zach Zenner
#216 OLB Kyle Emanuel
#235 OC Greg Mancz

Harold is a "reach" because I have seen mocks where he gets down to the Cardinals and Steelers, but I am comfortable with taking him at #16 if my top 7 players are off the board.

I have seen mocks where we select Perriman at #16 or he's off the board before our first pick, so excited to take him at #51.

Petty has a legitimate shot at starting in his 2nd season, and we don't have to draft a QB next year. I am not sure if Mallet or Hoyer are the answer, and want a guy waiting in the wings. A 3rd round pick is not too expensive for a potential Franchise QB who simply needs some seasoning as he transitions from the College Spread to something more complex at the NFL level.

I wondered if Ben Heeney would drop to #116, but he was selected at #115. I prefer Jake Ryan due to his size and versatility.

#152 Jesse James was gone, but I like Pruitt in the passing game and he is better at getting separation due to his quickness.

I continue to draft Lott because he has agility that is uncanny for someone his size. He impressed me at the Shrine game.

Coleman is my Nickel CB who can cover the slot.

Zenner rushed for 2K more than once. Is available here because he played at a small school. I'm okay with that.

Emanuel and Mancz are insurance and could be getting significant snaps in their 2nd season.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:36 AM
All-Pro

Default 4/26: Fanspeak mock but Walter Football board

I'm posting this only for the absurdity of the first pick and how it affects the rest of my drafting.

Somehow, someone I wasn't expecting fell to 16 and, I only made one trade after that - sending 2-19 to Baltimore for 2-26 and 4-23.

16 - R1P16 QB JAMEIS WINSTON FLORIDA STATE
58 (from BAL) - R2P26 WR SAMMIE COATES AUBURN
82 - R3P18 TE JESSE JAMES PENN STATE
116 - R4P17 DT GABE WRIGHT AUBURN
122 (from BAL) - R4P23 CB JOSH SHAW USC
152 - R5P16 WR-KR TY MONTGOMERY STANFORD
175 (comp) - R5P39 S ADRIAN AMOS PENN STATE
195 - R6P19 C GREG MANCZ TOLEDO
211 (comp) - R6P35 DE DEION BARNES PENN STATE
216 (comp) - R6P40 OLB ALANI FUA BYU
235 - R7P18 ILB JEFF LUC CINCINNATI

I'm sure some of you wouldn't want Winston, even at 16. The way I see it is this. The girl he may or may not have raped is now in civil court. What does that tell me? He's no longer likely to ever have a criminal case. He could be out some money, but he's not going to jail. If the consensus #1 QB is falling to us when we so desperately need a frontline QB, how can we pass him up.

Of course, NOW I haven't done 2 things I'm usually eager to do - 1) trade down and 2) use my first-rounder on a wide receiver. At 2-26, some top WRs are still there including DGB (no thanks) and Devin Smith (no thanks). The only WR I like in that spot is Sammie Coates.

3-18 offers a lot of good choices but my favorite OLB, Lorenzo Mauldin, got snagged by the Bears. My new QB needs weapons so here's Jesse James.

Gabe Wright and Josh Shaw are both value picks and positions with some need. Ty Montgomery and Adrian Amos are definite role players. The last four are positions I should have addressed sooner but the right guys never fell in the right spots.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:21 PM
All-Pro

Default 4/26 Fanspeak mock Composite board

This pretty much nails what and who I want from this draft. Of course, it presumes these trades would be made and these players would be available but this pretty much sums up what I would do with the Texans' 2015 draft:

1. Traded 1-16 to Arizona for 1-24, 2-23 and 4-24.
2. Traded 4-17, 5-16 and 6-19 to Green Bay for 3-30.

24 - (from ARZ) R1P24 WR JAELEN STRONG ARIZONA STATE 6-2, 217
Dropping on some boards but still my pick as an AJ replacement. I think this makes a trade-down credible and sets up the rest of the draft.
51 - R2P19 ILB BENARDRICK MCKINNEY MISSISSIPPI STATE 6-4, 246
Would be okay here with Anthony or Perryman though McKinney is my guy.
55 - (from ARZ) R2P23 OLB LORENZO MAULDIN LOUISVILLE 6-4, 259
College DE with OLB experience. Can pass rush or play over the TE.
82 - R3P18 CB-FS ERIC ROWE UTAH 6-1, 205
Houston product who makes perfect safety/slot corner combo. Not likely to actually be available in the mid-3rd. Opinions vary.
94 (from GB) - R3P30 TE JESSE JAMES PENN STATE 6-7, 261
Huge target that O'Brien knows well. Ran 4.69 at Pro Day. Capable blocker.
123 (from ARZ) - R4P24 C ANDY GALLIK BOSTON COLLEGE 6-2, 306
We need to take a center here and several will work out ok. Finney, Dismukes, Mason, all could work here.
175 (comp) - R5P39 DT JOEY MBU HOUSTON 6-3, 313
Either Mbu or Derrick Lott works for me as Wilfork's backup. Flip a coin.
211 (comp) - R6P35 WR-KR TY MONTGOMERY STANFORD 6-0, 221
Either Montgomery or Antwan Goodley is my 4th WR/ KR. Flip a coin.
216 (comp) - R6P40 DE RAY DREW GEORGIA 6-4, 265
Raw but has potential to be effective DE or slim down to a 3-4 LB. Deion Barnes works here too.
235 - R7P18 G-C MILES DIEFFENBACH PENN STATE 6-4, 301
Bench depth for guard and center. Tough kid. O'Brien connection.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:38 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
This pretty much nails what and who I want from this draft. Of course, it presumes these trades would be made and these players would be available but this pretty much sums up what I would do with the Texans' 2015.
Thanks again for giving me something to work with. I took a look at my last mock draft and considered who would be available at these positions and where they ranked on my draft board.

At # 24 the 4 players I had left to consider were Melvin Gordon (6th on my board), Todd Gurley (7th), Preston Smith (10th) and Stephone Anthony (22). The RBs almost seems like I could get better "Value" later. I'm not sure what to do with Preston, I could have him play OLB like we did with Mario Williams or I could bulk him up to play DE. Taking Anthony here almost seems like a reach, but I would consider him due to his size and athletic ability to play at a position of need.

#51 WR Breshad Perriman (12th on my board and an "easy" pick)

#55 CB Eric Rowe (15th and the guy I consider at #51), Devin Smith (23rd), Bernardick McKinney (26 and a guy I thought I would get if I passed on Anthony), Phillip Dorsett (27), Nelson Agholor (33), Anthony Chickillo (36 I hoped would be there for me if I passed on Preston Smith)

#82 Bryce Petty (35 didn't believe he's available, but he is and I take him), David Johnson (38 glad I selected Melvin Gordon), Jay Ajayi (40), Alex Carter (45 my Eric Rowe fallback plan), Jake Ryan (48 and I still need an ILB), Za'Darius Smith (49), Ben Heeney (56), Jesse James (64)

#123 Tyler Lockett (42), Tevin Coleman (53), Donovan Smith (54), Chris Conley (57), Tre McBride (60), Mycole Pruitt (61), Jordan Hicks (62), Nick Oleary (78)

#175 Derrick Lott (58), Justin Coleman (74), Tyler Varga (77), Antwan Goodley (81), Ty Montgomery (85), Shane Carden (92), Damian Swann (98)

#211 ILB Bryce Hager (82), Zach Zenner (93)

#216 OLB Kyle Emanuel (79), Karlos Williams (83)

235 TE Blake Bell (73), Wes Saxton (95), Greg Mancz (103)

So, RB Melvin Gordon, WR Breshad Perriman, CB Eric Rowe, QB Bryce Petty, WR Tyler Lockett, DT Derrick Lott, ILB Bryce Hager, OLB Kyle Emanuel, and TE Blake Bell would be my "perfect draft"

Then again, if I had drafted Preston Smith in the first round I could have taken Karlos Williams at #216.

Last edited by Roy P; 04-26-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:15 PM
All-Pro

Default April 28th My 1st Round Mock

I'm sure there will be some trades and the whole thing unravels, but this is how I see it 2 days before the real thing:

1 TB QB Marcus Mariota
2 Tenn DE Dante Fowler
3 Jax WR Amari Cooper
4 Oak WR Kevin White
5 Wash OLB Vic Beasley
6 NYJ QB Jameis Winston
7 Chi DT Leonard Williams
8 Atl DE Bud Dupree
9 NYG OG Brandon Scherff
10 StL CB Trae Waynes
11 Minn WR Devante Parker
12 Cle NT Danny Shelton
13 NO NT Malcolm Brown
14 Mia RB Todd Gurley
15 SF OLB Randy Gregory
16 Hou OLB Eli Harold
17 SD RB Melvin Gordon
18 KC DE Arik Armstead
19 Cle WR Breshad Perriman
20 Phi SS Landon Collins
21 Cin DE Shane Ray
22 Pitt OLB Preston Smith
23 Det CB Eric Rowe
24 Az OT Ereck Flowers
25 Car OT T.J. Clemmings
26 Bal CB Kevin Johnson
27 Dal OG La'el Collins
28 Den OT Jake Fisher
29 Ind ILB Stephone Anthony
30 GB ILB Bernardrick McKinney
31 NO CB Marcus Peters
32 NE DT Grady Jarrett
Old 04-29-2015, 01:42 PM
All-Pro

Default Final Texans Mock Draft w/o Trades

16 OLB Eli Harold
51 ILB Stephone Anthony
82 DE Henry Anderson
116 RB David Johnson
152 TE Blake Bell
175 OL Mitch Morse
195 DT Derrick Lott
211 CB Justin Coleman
216 WR Ty Montgomery
235 WR Mario Alford

I like Harold more than most due to the fact that he has played OLB at Va and has pass-rush moves. Not certain about Clowney/Merciless and unsure that I will be able to select Chickillo later. Huge relief to have him in the fold. I winced at drafting him before Gordon or Gurley.

Thought/think Anthony goes in the first round, so pleasantly surprised to see him waiting for me at # 51.

At #82 my BPA is Anderson who will push Crick for playing time. Extremely undervalued in my opinion. Bryce Petty was selected right ahead of me at #81

#116 David Anderson impresses me as a RB and I took him here because he's my BPA. Should perhaps considered WR Chris Conley or perhaps TE Jesse James.

#152 When I got Blake Bell I really started second guessing not takings James At #116. The thought of double-dipping and getting two 6'7" Behemoths in the Red-Zone is intriguing.

#175 Mitch Morse played OT at Mizzou, but like many prospects could move inside to play C or G. Mayock has promoted him to his #5 prospect on the interior.

#195 I contemplated drafting at #152 but missed out on James and didn't want to miss on Bell. I have Anderson to play DE, but Lott could learn the NT position.

#211 Many of my WR prospects are gone so I am happy to not feel compelled to reach for one due to the FA signings. Taking my NickleBack here.

#216 & #235 Took the best WRs left on my board and hope they can develop.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:19 PM
Regular Starter

Default 2nd.....and possibly final Mock

16 Rhane Ray
51 Damarious Randall
82 Chris Conley
116 Doran Grant
152 Marcus Hardison
175 Joey Mbu
195 Ray Drew
211 Antwan Goodley
216 Aamarlo Herrera
235 Daryl Baldwin

UFA Marcus Murphy

I wanted Gregory at 16, but with PLENTY more people coming out recently against taking him, like Jay Glazer, I deceided to take the "safer" OLB available. We can't afford to have another 2014 draft where we got next to nothing from the first three selections.

I liked Collins in the first, but beleive Randall is a much better value in the second. If anything, Randall may turn out to be the better pro.

Conley is a must have, imo, simply put a BPA at a position of need. Great character guy too.

Grant gives us much needed quality depth at the CB, while also able to play centerfield in a pinch.

Hardison, Mbu, and Drew finish solidifying our front seven.

Goodley is a terrific route runner and can line up in the the slot or outside.

Herrera bolsters our ILB and has a real chance at starting next to Cush.

Baldwin can play G or T.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:30 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post
51 Damarious Randall
82 Chris Conley
211 Antwan Goodle

If anything, Randall may turn out to be the better pro.

Conley is a must have, imo, simply put a BPA at a position of need. Great character guy

Goodley is a terrific route runner and can line up in the the slot or outside.
Would you take Randall over Eric Rowe?

I love Conley as a sleeper and have moved him up on my final draft board.

I like the idea of getting Goodley later in the draft.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:08 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
16 OLB Eli Harold
51 ILB Stephone Anthony
82 DE Henry Anderson
116 RB David Johnson
152 TE Blake Bell
175 OL Mitch Morse
195 DT Derrick Lott
211 CB Justin Coleman
216 WR Ty Montgomery
235 WR Mario Alford .
After looking at it and making my final adjustments I came away with the following :

16 OLB Eli Harold
51 ILB Stephone Anthony
82 WR Rashad Greene
116 TE Jesse James
152 TE Blake Bell
175 RB Zach Zenner
195 OL Mitch Morse
211 DL Derrick Lott
216 WR Ty Montgomery
235 OLB Alani Fua
Old 04-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Would you take Randall over Eric Rowe?
Yes, I would.

I don't usually rate players, but if I did, I would have Rowe as the fifth to sixth best S.

I know some are pretty high on him, but I just don't see a first or second round talent in what I have seen of him.

I would take Jalen Collins over him too as a Safety. J. Collins may be raw, but I think in a couple years he could be a great S.

I would have L. Collins and Randall as 1a and 1b.
2. Drummond
3. D. Smith
4. Tartt
5a. Amos
5b. Rowe
Old 04-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Another Fanspeak.com mock draft without trading :

#16 OLB Eli Harold
#51 WR Breshad Perriman
#82 QB Bryce Petty
#116 ILB Jake Ryan
#152 TE Mycole Pruitt
#175 DL Derrick Lott
#195 CB Justin Coleman
#211 RB Zach Zenner
#216 OLB Kyle Emanuel
#235 OC Greg Mancz

Petty has a legitimate shot at starting in his 2nd season, and we don't have to draft a QB next year. I am not sure if Mallet or Hoyer are the answer, and want a guy waiting in the wings. A 3rd round pick is not too expensive for a potential Franchise QB who simply needs some seasoning as he transitions from the College Spread to something more complex at the NFL level.
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 31s32 seconds ago
Wow! @RapSheet just said on NFL Network Saints might take Baylor QB Bryce Petty with 31st pick! Sic 'Em!