IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-14-2020, 09:22 AM
barrett barrett is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,843
Default How lucky are we BOB got fired?

If he hadn't we would have shipped out all of our remaining picks and Deshaun for Leveon Bell. There's no way he could have resisted a guy who is basically the cadillac version of David Johnson.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-14-2020, 12:02 PM
nunusguy nunusguy is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
If he hadn't we would have shipped out all of our remaining picks and Deshaun for Leveon Bell. There's no way he could have resisted a guy who is basically the cadillac version of David Johnson.
My idea of real luck re the Texans would be the McNairs putting the team on the market, but glad they finally decided to move on from O'Brien but wish they'd have done it before O'Brian made some of his "deals", especially the one with Arizona.
So Barrett who do you like as prospects to fill the HC and GM positions ?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-15-2020, 02:23 AM
HPF Bob HPF Bob is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 4,091
Default

Would you want McNair Jr. to sell the Texans to Mattress Mac?

I think the Falcons are lusting for O'Brien. I guess when you've sucked as badly as the Falcons, O'Brien's track record looks really good.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-15-2020, 08:18 AM
nunusguy nunusguy is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,337
Default

I would be thrilled to have Mattress Mac as the owner of the cities NFL franchise.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-15-2020, 09:55 AM
HPF Bob HPF Bob is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 4,091
Default

I suspect Mac doesn't have anywhere near the resources to buy the Texans. He's a successful furniture store owner but that not to say he could be worth hundreds of millions that way.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-15-2020, 05:38 PM
painekiller painekiller is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Near the Galleria
Posts: 2,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
I suspect Mac doesn't have anywhere near the resources to buy the Texans. He's a successful furniture store owner but that not to say he could be worth hundreds of millions that way.
This is what I think also.
__________________
There is no failure, only feedback.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-16-2020, 11:18 AM
Keith Keith is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,411
Default

Probably have to be a billionaire to own an NFL team nowadays.

Forbes billionaires from Texas:
Rich Kinder (pipelines)
Tilman Fertitta (already owns Rockets)
Janice McNair (current owner)
One of the Duncans: Dannine Avare, Scott Duncan, Milane Frantz, Randa Williams (inherited from Dan Duncan, pipelines)
John Arnold (energy trader)
Dan Friedkin (Toyota distributor)
George Bishop (energy)
Jeffrey Hildebrand (energy)
Leslie Alexander (sold Rockets)
Leo Koguan (tech)
Jim Crane (already owns Astros)
Fayez Sarofim (finance)

Any football fans in there you want instead of the McNairs?
__________________
Support ...IntheBullseye.com and follow us on Twitter
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-17-2020, 12:39 AM
chuck chuck is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,734
Default

Don't forget Bob Brockman.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-17-2020, 10:27 AM
nunusguy nunusguy is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Probably have to be a billionaire to own an NFL team nowadays.

Forbes billionaires from Texas:
Rich Kinder (pipelines)
Tilman Fertitta (already owns Rockets)
Janice McNair (current owner)
One of the Duncans: Dannine Avare, Scott Duncan, Milane Frantz, Randa Williams (inherited from Dan Duncan, pipelines)
John Arnold (energy trader)
Dan Friedkin (Toyota distributor)
George Bishop (energy)
Jeffrey Hildebrand (energy)
Leslie Alexander (sold Rockets)
Leo Koguan (tech)
Jim Crane (already owns Astros)
Fayez Sarofim (finance)

Any football fans in there you want instead of the McNairs?
Ideally the owner would be a local, but of course not a requirement for NFL ownership, for example currently two Texas residents are absentee owners of NFL franchises in states beyond their own, the Chiefs and the Titans.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-17-2020, 11:47 AM
Warren Warren is offline
Regular Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 598
Default

FWIW, Sarofim is a Texans limited partner. Fertitta used to be but he must've sold out when he bought the Rockets. There is a Charles Duncan who is a limited partner but he's apparently not one of the billionaire Duncans (neither is Curtis, to my disappointment. Or Sandy).

I like the idea of bringing in Daryl Morey as GM, surrounding him with experienced football people, and letting him find market inefficiencies to exploit in building a team with limited cap space and draft picks. But I would be shocked to see the Texans try something unconventional like that. They're much more likely to do something like bringing in Dan Reeves as a consultant again.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-17-2020, 12:17 PM
chuck chuck is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I like the idea of bringing in Daryl Morey as GM, surrounding him with experienced football people, and letting him find market inefficiencies to exploit in building a team with limited cap space and draft picks. But I would be shocked to see the Texans try something unconventional like that. They're much more likely to do something like bringing in Dan Reeves as a consultant again.
Dude, they've already hired an international search firm, Korn Ferry, to lead the search. Which is the most Texans thing ever.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-17-2020, 04:58 PM
Arky Arky is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Don't forget Bob Brockman.
Big article about this guy in Friday's Chronicle. Seems the IRS wants to talk with him to the tune of $2B - largest [s]extortion[/s] suit ever against an individual.

--------------------------------------

I'd be open to Morey as GM. Unfortunately, he'd be a n00b to the NFL but I think he'd eventually be successful. I get the feeling whoever the Texans eventually select, that I will end up wishing they had chosen Morey...

Last edited by Arky; 10-17-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-18-2020, 10:44 AM
painekiller painekiller is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Near the Galleria
Posts: 2,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Don't forget Bob Brockman.
I used to work for him, prior to his buying Reynolds and Reynolds. I don't think he would be a good owner of the Texans
__________________
There is no failure, only feedback.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-18-2020, 03:21 PM
barrett barrett is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
FWIW, Sarofim is a Texans limited partner. Fertitta used to be but he must've sold out when he bought the Rockets. There is a Charles Duncan who is a limited partner but he's apparently not one of the billionaire Duncans (neither is Curtis, to my disappointment. Or Sandy).

I like the idea of bringing in Daryl Morey as GM, surrounding him with experienced football people, and letting him find market inefficiencies to exploit in building a team with limited cap space and draft picks. But I would be shocked to see the Texans try something unconventional like that. They're much more likely to do something like bringing in Dan Reeves as a consultant again.
I guess the hope is that after a long learning curve, Morey can come up with a creative way to lose in the NFL like he lost in the NBA?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-18-2020, 03:25 PM
HPF Bob HPF Bob is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 4,091
Default

...But Morey will have all the stats to convince you he made the right move. That's what the Moneyball types are all about. Ivy Leaguers learn that if they spit enough statistics at you, they can convince you that idiot moves are statistically the right call every time.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-18-2020, 11:35 PM
Keith Keith is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,411
Default

I'm a huge fan of using stats to build rosters in baseball. The game is a series of one-on-one match-ups, and there seem to be an endless amount of predictive numbers.

I don't think this exists in football. Now maybe there is an analytical edge to be found - I kinda think Tex Schram was the Daryl Morey of his day - but since this edge is not strictly based on stats like it is in baseball, I really don't see a non-football guy being able to assume this role and being successful.

So count me out on Morey or somesuch on my NFL team. Find me the best, most organized scout around. I absolutely think there are market inefficiencies to be discovered in the NFL, but I think they are going to be far more varied and complex than in baseball. For example, in baseball, regardless of position, offensively the goals are the same - score runs: get on base, move runners, and maybe run fast. Same for 3B as it is for RF. In football, the positions have wildly different goals and skillsets needed to score points.
__________________
Support ...IntheBullseye.com and follow us on Twitter
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.