IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Regular Starter

You aren't going to win too many when you're 1/10 on 3rd down.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:40 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
To be fair, I thought the call on the guy that hit Walter was a bullshit call too.
Totally. That was terrible. The league is turning into the NBA. I'm terrified because it's the only North American sports league that I have left.

JJ's on the radio now taking responsibility for the penalties for which he bears no responsibility at all.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Veteran Depth

That was the worst officiated game I have seen this season. If I believed in conspiracy theories, I would almost think the league doesn't want Indy to draft luck.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Pro Bowler

Despite all the moronic calls the refs made tonight, I'm still trying to wrap my head around why Kubiak and/or the chump DC filling in for Wade had Jackson covering Wayne one-on-one that whole final drive. What a freakin embarrassment. And of course, it has to be on primetime TV.

Merry Christmas, Houston! -- From YOUR Houston Texans
Old 12-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
You aren't going to win too many when you're 1/10 on 3rd down.
I do think the Texans desperately miss AJ, and really need to find another weapon at wide receiver.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Despite all the moronic calls the refs made tonight, I'm still trying to wrap my head around why Kubiak and/or the chump DC filling in for Wade had Jackson covering Wayne one-on-one that whole final drive. What a freakin embarrassment. And of course, it has to be on primetime TV.

The Texans also miss Wade Phillips
Old 12-22-2011, 10:51 PM
All-Pro

It was a real feeble offense, and it seems that Yates is regressing ?
Hate to say it, but it's looking like the Texans high point of the year will remain beating the Bengals and clinching the division 2 weeks ago ?
Oh, and JJ Watt played a helluva game and was the best defensive player on the field tonight.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:52 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post

That was the worst officiated game I have seen in ages but that was not why the Texans lost. Terrible play calling on offense, terrible decision keeping Jackson on the field.

I got a lot of shit from barrett earlier in the year when I said that Jackson is literally a wasted roster spot. barrett complained that I was singling Jackson out while everyone else was playing great. I was singling Jackson out, of course, because he was playing like shit. Why the hell else would I single him out? Kareem Jackson should not be in the NFL. He is Jacques Reeves 2.0. He is a wasted draft pick and a wasted roster spot.

I'm glad some of you people are starting to see that.

But neither Kareem nor the officiating is why the Texans lost. The Texans lost because Kubak neutered the offense. The team has no bye, no home field second round if they make it. It was a staggering display of ineptitude and they are going to be embarrassed out of the playoffs. This was a chance to make up for losing to a terrible team Sunday and then they get beaten by a one win team.

Kubiak is a joke of a head coach. I've been saying it for years. This team will never win with him at the helm.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Regular Starter

Forget about trying to win the next game. I want Kubiak to call a game with Yates throwing 25 times or more. I need to find out if he's gonna be ready for the playoffs or if we have to yank his ass out and get Delhomme in there. This conservative PA pass for 5 yards bullshit is not going to work in the playoffs.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:10 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
That was the worst officiated game I have seen in ages but that was not why the Texans lost. Terrible play calling on offense, terrible decision keeping Jackson on the field.

I got a lot of shit from barrett earlier in the year when I said that Jackson is literally a wasted roster spot. barrett complained that I was singling Jackson out while everyone else was playing great. I was singling Jackson out, of course, because he was playing like shit. Why the hell else would I single him out? Kareem Jackson should not be in the NFL. He is Jacques Reeves 2.0. He is a wasted draft pick and a wasted roster spot.

But neither Kareem nor the officiating is why the Texans lost. The Texans lost because Kubak neutered the offense. The team has no bye, no home field second round if they make it. It was a staggering display of ineptitude and they are going to be embarrassed out of the playoffs. This was a chance to make up for losing to a terrible team Sunday and then they get beaten by a one win team.

Kubiak is a joke of a head coach. I've been saying it for years. This team will never win with him at the helm.
Your memory is failing you because I have never said a kind word about Jackson this year, let alone argued for him to play. I think it is embarassing that he sees the field. He is at best our 4th corner and I only say that because I have not seen brandon harris yet. Jason Allen is head and shoulders above him and McCain has been very good as the slot guy.

Our big argument earlier in the year was when you told us during the miami game that our defense was terrible and everybody was going to run wild on us. I pointed out they were playing well in that game and I would not judge them on what had not happened yet.

As for Kubiak, I mostly agree. I don't think you can dump him for this game or the last one. Nobody else in the NFL with our injury situation has handled it as well as we have. I think that is due to how much the players like him. But I agree %100 he is not a very good coach, especially on gameday. I just think it has to be based on the past 6 years of 46-47 football, not on two games we lost without 3 of our 4 best players.

So you are what your record is and Kubiak is mediocre through and through. Him and Wade are like two peas in the nice good old boys finish last pod. They both know their side of the ball and are likable guys. And both will come up short when it matters.

But I thought that and put it down on this site all year even when we were 10-3. You did too Chuck. What I love is the crowd that called for his job last season, wanted to give him coach of the year two weeks ago, and now wants his job again.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:15 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonz the Boss View Post
Forget about trying to win the next game. I want Kubiak to call a game with Yates throwing 25 times or more. I need to find out if he's gonna be ready for the playoffs or if we have to yank his ass out and get Delhomme in there. This conservative PA pass for 5 yards bullshit is not going to work in the playoffs.
SPOILER ALERT.

He's not ready for the playoffs. I can't believe you need to see more to know that.

As for the short stuff, the guys are going deep on those routes and he is checking down. Not sure why. He didn't check down when he got the job and I doubt he is being told to. My guess is the speed of the game is catching up with him. Plus teams now have him on film and can take away the few things he does well. The bottom line is he is a 5th round rookie for a reason. He may be and NFL starter one day but today he is not (especially not without AJ).
Old 12-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonz the Boss View Post
This conservative PA pass for 5 yards bullshit is not going to work in the playoffs.
That's all they have w/o AJ. None of the WRs can get seperation and JJ can't run dependable routes nor catch the ball consistently. What amazes me is the 3-4 times they showed a replay of the PAs to Dressen, the WR downfield never even turned around like he was even a potential target. He was a decoy clearing out a defender. This team has nothing at WR.

I posted earlier in the season when AJ first went down that they should've traded for Brandon Lloyd and got a lot of flack about how he's a bad influence and not worth a 4th or 5th round pick. Yeah, right. If I'm not mistaken, he has better stats since he went to the Rams (not even counting his Broncos stat) in that joke of an offense than JJ has all year here. In addition, I have not heard one report of him being a bad influence or a locker room cancer. How stupid does passing up on him look now - even if Schaub were healthy.

Last edited by popanot; 12-22-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:41 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Your memory is failing you because I have never said a kind word about Jackson this year, let alone argued for him to play.
That's fair enough. I shouldn't have called you out for that. You and I agree that Jackson is terrible. The thing that provoked you those months ago was my complaining about Jackson but we can circle back and agree on the Jackson.

I don't know when I will be able to get over losing to an Orlovsky led 1-and team.

We f@cking lost to a one-win team that did not want to win. That is crazy.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:53 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
That's fair enough. I shouldn't have called you out for that. You and I agree that Jackson is terrible. The thing that provoked you those months ago was my complaining about Jackson but we can circle back and agree on the Jackson.

I don't know when I will be able to get over losing to an Orlovsky led 1-and team.

We f@cking lost to a one-win team that did not want to win. That is crazy.
You are right. I did say that chuck. Definitely not because I think Jackson is good, but because I thought you were a jerk that day. But later I know I was doom and gloom about leinhart and you pulled me back from the edge. One day when a real coach leads us to a superbowl I'll buy you a beer and we will have nothing to complain about.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:20 AM
All-Pro

I thought Winston and Caldwell had a tough game putting a little more pressure on TJ than he could handle.

Seemed they moved ball ok unless got to 3rd down.

Hope with the extra days layoff they can figure out something.

Agree with KJ at CB discussion.

TJ was 13 of 16 , passer rating of 101, AF had 158 yds, Kubiak was trying to manage game with all injuries.

Bad refs, too many penalties to overcome.

What a difference two weelks makes.

Not sure why, still hoping things improve.

Last edited by Nconroe; 12-23-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:31 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
One day when a real coach leads us to a superbowl I'll buy you a beer and we will have nothing to complain about.
And I'll buy you 50.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:35 AM
All-Pro

Quote:

Chuck, could this mean Kubiak won't get your vote as NFL coach of the year ?
Old 12-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Pro Bowler

Very dissapointing effort last night from the O, both in play calling and execution. The D was gassed, pretty easy to see that. If they O can't sustain drives, this is going to happen. While our D is solid, they are not elite, and cannot consistently win each and every game.

If Kubiak does not have enough confidence in Yates to call a normal NFL game plan, then we need to see what Delhomme can do. If Yates cannot look past the TE/RB dumps, then we need to see what Delhomme can do.

I believe, and I know I am guilty as hell of this, we are a victim of our own success against weaker opponents, coupled with some flukes. The game against ATL we were 1 drop away from losing. The Bengals game, specifically the 2nd half, was likely an abberation, and we were 1 PI call and a blown assignment by a Bengal LB from losing that game as well.

TJ, while he has shown some rookie flashes, is still just that, a rookie. He is not ready, but we all wanted to believe so bad, we bought into the hype. Considering what this team has went thru this year, it is still pretty amazing we hit 10 wins. Not sure if we will get to 11 or not, but the reality of our season hit true form last night.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Hall of Fame

I've been looking at a few stats in the Texans vs. Colts series. The one I find most curious is "1st downs from penalty". The Texans don't really have a rep as a penalized team, in fact, they are usually in the upper half of the least penalized teams in recent years.

In the NFL, each game, teams normally get 0, 1 or 2 of these per game. 0, 1 and 2 are all common numbers for 1st downs from penalty/game.

In the Texans vs. Colts series (Texan win/loss in parentheses):

--------------

Game 1 @ Indy (L): Texans 1, Colts 6
Game 2 @ Houston (L): Texans 0, Colts 4

Totals for 2009: Texans 1, Colts 10
--------------

Game 1 @ Houston (W): Texans 1, Colts 2
Game 2 @ Indy (L): Texans 2, Colts 1

Totals for 2010: Texans 3, Colts 3 (a "normal" year)
---------------

Game 1 @ Houston (W): Texans 1, Colts 1
Game 2 @ Indy (L): Texans 1, Colts 6

Totals for 2011: Texans 2, Colts 7
---------------

Grand totals last 3 years, first downs from penalty: Texans 6, Colts 20

This genuinely qualifies as lopsided.

Just thought I'd point this out since I wasted probably an hour of my time looking this stuff up. Further fuel to the fire that the NFL is turning into the NBA.

-------------------------------------------------

In all of our analysis on this game, I think someone needs to mention that TJ has a shoulder injury on his throwing arm. Not making excuses - it just needs to be mentioned. That "hail Mary" pass as time expired was pretty ugly....
Old 12-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Pro Bowler

I don't care what anyone says, our defense is an excellent defense. We can't keep going 3 and out and expect the defense to bail us out every time. With the addition of a solid #2 corner, we could be elite. Our problem has been that our alleged top ranked offense is not good. We have a very good 1-2 punch at RB. But how long before teams stack the box and make you throw.

***NEWSFLASH***
Our passing attack was not doing that great when Shaub and Andre were both healthy. Only 5 of the 10 games he played did he have a QB rating of 100+ or anything close to it. Equating to a 50/50, sometimey, every now and then, hot and cold, head scratching QB. Which we have grown to admire.

Shaub was nothing more than an overly hyped system guy. He has only had the minimal success that he's had because he has been here for so long. If you ask me TJ is a better QB than Shaub (stronger arm, mobile, and gets rid of the ball) If he had as many years in the system as Shaub, (and the benefit of playing with Andre for multiple games in a row) he could really move this offense.

Now that I got that off my mind...I really thought Kubiak would get TJ some quality reps heading into the playoffs. If he was going to PROTECT him so much, he should've just sat him for the last two games. See what the veterans can do.

After the first rushing TD, Kubiak seemed content with trying to win the game 7-0.