IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Other 31 Teams

Old 02-28-2009, 09:52 PM
On the Sidelines

Default Would You Do Cutler To Houston For Schaub and Our #1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
More Denver connection. He's been Cutler's backup.
With Cutler on the block and the Denver connection would the numbers match up to inquire about a Shaub/Cutler trade? I am a fan of Cutler's arm strength and feel he would excel under Kubiak.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Undrafted Rookie

Swap em and they can have D. Anderson, sounds like a deal to me!
Old 03-01-2009, 01:10 AM
All-Pro

Default Would You Do Cutler To Houston For Schaub and Our #1?

ESPN and others are reporting that the new Bronco management is shopping Pro Bowl QB Jay Cutler. Yes, they're morons for thinking it but apparently the Cutler-McDaniel relationship must have got off to a bad start and has been getting worse. McDaniel was trying to bring Matt Cassel to Denver which means he was also looking for a way to send Cutler elsewhere. And I doubt Cutler is thrilled over the thought of a new offense where the QB's job is to throw dink passes to Jabar Gaffney (yes, that Jabar Gaffney) and J.J. Arrington when not handing off to Correll Buckhalter.

So, if the Broncos are stupid enough to deal Cutler, I hope the Texans are smart enough to take him off their hands. If we offered our latter day Chris Chandler (Schaub) and our #1 pick this year (#15 overall), would you pull the trigger?

Yeah, Keith, the cap ramifications would be horrendous but we'd finally have a QB that doesn't have a glass jaw, throws a bonafide deep ball and already knows the offensive system. And with burners like AJ, AD and Jacoby Jones to throw to, defenses would soil their pants fearing our deep speed.

I posted this under "The Other 31" because I don't think this will really happen but I can dream, can't I?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Regular Starter

You guys know Jay Cutler is on the trading block right?

(sorry, just saw Trojan's post)
Old 03-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Administrator

fyi - I moved the Cutler-related posts from the Ramsey/Orlovsky thread and merged them with Bob's post and thread title. Let's keep the Cutler discussion in here for now.

Quote:
Yeah, Keith, the cap ramifications would be horrendous
Actually, if you were to trade Schaub, now wouldn't be the worst time to do it. Schaub signed a 6-year contract, but it was broken in half by a major option bonus ($10mm) due to him by around the end of the 2009 league year.

If Schaub were traded now, the team would only need to accelerate the unamortized bonuses already committed, leaving that $10 million option to whatever team received him (assuming the contract isn't re-worked).

Schaub's original signing bonus was $4.5mm (split six ways at $750k per), so with this year and three more remaining, the dead money on the deal would just be $4 million (vs his $6.95 million base salary this year).

Money aside... Giving up a #1 plus Schaub seems too much to me. And I realize the "Denver connection" we seem to have, but Kubiak has no connection to Cutler, so this is different than prior Bronco allegiances.

Lastly, I guess I'm not ready to sell Schaub short. Yes, he's been hurt, but he has suffered illegal hits in getting hurt. He came back last season and played better than ever. He is reaching that magical point in the Kubiak offense where QBs turn the corner and take off.

ETA - I dumped this into the 2nd half of the latest post on the front page of the site.
http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2009/20090301.html

Last edited by Keith; 03-01-2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: added link
Old 03-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Undrafted Rookie

We have to remember that Cutler has diabetes as well, and while Schaub may seem fragile, a diabetic QB seems a bit scary as well.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Pro Bowler

No, I wouldn't do that deal. I would rather have given up my #2 for Cassel than trade for Cutler. The kid has talent, but is not all there mentally. I think it's telling the Broncos are considering dumping him in only his 4th season in the league. I can't imagine it's only because of some personality rift between QB and new HC. There's got to be a lot more to this than meets the eye.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:31 AM
All-Pro

my first impression is probably not. Schaub is a little more mature, little better passer rating. a little taller. Cutler seems to be less injury prone, fumbles less.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Regular Starter

Hell no. Cutler was the #12 overall IIRC. I would not give up #15 and then our QB. That is crazy! I like Cutlet alot, but that is just silly to give up that much.

The diabetes does not concern me at all, if he keeps his insulin pump on and working properly and with the medical attention he surely gets from being a pro athlete, then that does not add much additional risk to his NFL career.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Regular Starter

If anything the deal should be Cutler for Schaub and our #2 and maybe one of our two 4th's.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Pro Bowler

After thinking about it awhile, I think I would just leave this hot potato in the oven. Something just doesn't smell right about Cutler and Denver.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:56 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hell no. Cutler was the #12 overall IIRC. I would not give up #15 and then our QB. That is crazy!
Cutler was #11, actually, but it doesn't matter where he was drafted. Would you turn down a trade for Tom Brady because he wasn't taken until the 5th round? THAT is crazy.

Look at it this way. Between Vince Young (taken third in '05), Matt Leinart (taken 10th in '05) and Cutler, who would you draft today?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Between Vince Young (taken third in '05), Matt Leinart (taken 10th in '05) and Cutler, who would you draft today?
Is there a none of the above? I may be the only guy in the universe that's not sold on Cutler.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Cutler was #11, actually, but it doesn't matter where he was drafted. Would you turn down a trade for Tom Brady because he wasn't taken until the 5th round? THAT is crazy.

Look at it this way. Between Vince Young (taken third in '05), Matt Leinart (taken 10th in '05) and Cutler, who would you draft today?
I would have taken Cutler then and I would take him now.

I'd kill to trade for him.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:34 PM
All-Pro

Thanks, Matrix. I was beginning to wonder if anybody thought Cutler was a good QB. While Schaub plus the #1 pick for Cutler may seem expensive to some, I'd bet it is the minimum to get a trade done.

I did see a suggestion on another board that wouldn't involve draft choices: Schaub and DT Amobi Okoye to Denver for Cutler and RT Ryan Harris. That's an intriguing trade. Okoye is probably viewed as a better talent than Harris but the difference is roughly equivalent to the one between Schaub and Cutler.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:

Big difference between Cutler and Brady, but I see your point.

I would take Cutler over and over before those other two.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:15 AM
Pro Bowler

I think Cutler would be an elite QB under Kubiak. I could just imagine him throwing bootleg bombs out to Andre.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 AM
All-Pro

I doubt it happens, but I'd do it in a heart beat. Cutler is a stud who was seemingly tailor made for our offense.

The Problem is the only reason he went on the market was for the chance to McDaniels to get Cassell who he knows and apparently loves. So he was willing to give up a superior talent for a guy he knows and who knows him and his offense inside and out. I don't see him giving up a superior talent for a guy he doesn't have any connection to in Schaub.

The only reason they move him now is if Cutler is absolutely dead set on not playing for McDaniels. It's possible after the trade rumors and the switch to an offense that will handcuff him a bit, but unlikely.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Regular Starter

For fun, but how about a package of Anderson (if possible since they signed an offer sheet), Matt Schaub, Travis Johnson (he does have experience in 3-4), and a pick (2 or 3) for Cutler and Dumervil? I know it's outlandish and I can't recall a trade in the NFL involving that many players (the NBA or MLB, yes), but that does not mean it's not possible. Of course there is the cap to consider too.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:56 AM
All-Pro

That would be sweet for the Texans. As for Denver, I think they made a huge mistake hiring an offensive coach when their defense is what really needs fixing. McDiapers instead is trying to rework the offense and hasn't done much to upgrade the defense, maybe because he doesn't know how. So, at best, the Broncos will still score 30 pts a game and give up 40 pts a game.