IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Other 31 Teams
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Could be interesting to see Bob and Jerrah in a bidding war for their dream head coach ...should Kubiak be a goner, that is.

And with Carolina stinking, doesn Cowher go there? Gruden could come with a pretty high pricetag.

I don't mean to toss dirt on Kubes, but, to play along... 2nd time HCs have some appeal for me, and Gregg Williams seems to be the one I'd want to learn more about.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:22 AM
All-Pro

Last night I caught a brief clip on the NFLnetwork, they brought up the coaches on the hot seat, and Kubiak was mentioned. They said that if the team missed the playoffs or dropped below .500 that Kubiak was most likely gone. We all have surmised this, so no big deal, but the reporter added this interesting line, he said "and of course Bill Cowher would be very interested in that position" or something close to that.

I know the rumor was out there last season, but could the reporter, Jason LaCanfora iirc, have some inside knowledge?

I know a lot of people believe Cowher will go to the Cowboys, but what if Cowher does not want to work with a meddlesome owner? And Jerry is the ultimate meddlesome owner being that he is the GM.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:42 PM
All-Pro

Cowher would be an absolute dream but I can't see McNair paying a coach the kind of money he's going to command, nor can I see him paying a coach a lot of money to sit around while he and his fellow billionaires lock out guys like Vonta Leach who won't be able to walk upright when they're 45.

Anyway, I really like Gregg Williams, too. His defenses are ferocious and unlike a guy like Fassell he seems to be completely, insanely committed.

But I bet you no matter what happens McNair finds a way to give Kubiak another year.

When Kubiak is let go I'll be fascinated to see if Rick Smith is tethered to him or not.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Regular Starter

I'm not as high on Gruden as some seem to be. He'd be on my short list, but I wouldn't put him in the "sure thing" category. Yes, he won a Super Bowl but in his six years after that he had a sub-.500 record overall.

I like Williams too. Not only would he improve the defense, but I think he'd bring an attitude/toughness/sense of urgency/whatever that this team seems to lack.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:09 AM
All-Pro

On another board, they had noted the imminent dismissal of Carolina's HC John Fox and whether he might be right as the next head coach. He has Super Bowl experience and built what was once a top defense. He prefers a run game to a passing game. Not selling anyone on the idea; just throwing it out there for discussion.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:21 PM
All-Pro

Time to get Cowher as HC, Wade Phillips as DC, and some WCO guy to run the offense.

Blow up the coaching staff and front office.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
On another board, they had noted the imminent dismissal of Carolina's HC John Fox and whether he might be right as the next head coach. He has Super Bowl experience and built what was once a top defense. He prefers a run game to a passing game. Not selling anyone on the idea; just throwing it out there for discussion.
Fox's contract is up after this season so he'll be a free agent even if Carolina doesn't can him. He's been mentioned for the Cowboys' job, in part because he could coexist with Jerry because he's not a guy who would want total control. He seems to get what he can out of the mostly mediocre rosters he's had, he's made the playoffs three times, and, until this year, he's never had a worse season than 7-9. But a guy who was only posted three winning seasons in 9+ years doesn't excite me.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:00 AM
All-Pro

What do you guys know about Dick Jauron? He was a head coach for Chicago back before Lovie Smith and he then went to the Bills. He seems to be a solid Defensive guy, he is currently with the Eagles as an AHC and DB coach.

He appears to be a 4-3 type guy from what I can tell and he has coached solid defenses as a coordinator, what do you guys think about bringing him in to be the DC?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Pro Bowler

Not sure why anyone would factor in which defensive alignment a new HC would bring in. Our D is possibly the worst ever so it's not like going to a 3-4 would set us back any. The only thing missing really is a fat-ass NT.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Not sure why anyone would factor in which defensive alignment a new HC would bring in. Our D is possibly the worst ever so it's not like going to a 3-4 would set us back any. The only thing missing really is a fat-ass NT.
I wonder though how the key components of the front 7 would fair in a 3-4 though. The Texans have much invested in Mario, DeMeco, and Cushing. Good players are probably good in either scheme, but these seem more like 4-3 guys, right? Especially if they have a better 4-3 coordinator calling the shots?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I wonder though how the key components of the front 7 would fair in a 3-4 though. The Texans have much invested in Mario, DeMeco, and Cushing. Good players are probably good in either scheme, but these seem more like 4-3 guys, right? Especially if they have a better 4-3 coordinator calling the shots?
in another thread I had this to say about converting to a 3-4 next season:

Quote:
Currently based on the current standings, I have the Texans picking #14, and judging from the play I have been seeing that is close to where I think they pick. I am thinking 12th, but could be between 10th and 20th.

So based on the 14th pick, I see a coaching change and a move back to the 3-4. Say goodbye to Okoye, Daniel, Jones, and Turk.

I want us to sign two of the following FA NTs: Paul Soliai, Dolphins, Shaun Rogers, Browns, Alan Branch, Cards, Chris Hoke, Steelers.

The draft is as follows:

12 Brandon Harris CB Miami 5'11 195
44 Sione Fua NT Stanford 6'2" 307
76 Jeron Johnson S Boise State 5' 11" 194
108 Steven Friday OLB Virginia Tech 6'4" 254 .
140 Wayne Daniels OLB TCU 6' 2" 250
172 Kai Forbath K UCLA 6'0" 192
204 Derek Epperson P Baylor 6'3" 235

My 3-4 looks like this;
LDE - Williams,
NT - Soliai,Hoke,Fua
RDE - Smith, Mitchell
LOLB- Cushing, Friday
LILB - Diles
RILB - Ryans, Sharpton
ROLB - Barwin, Daniels
CB - Harris, Jackson, McManis
S - Quinn, Nolan, Pollard, Johnson

Fill the holes with vets that fit the new coaches schemes.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Regular Starter

Tuna, anyone? Parcells is hinting at an interest in getting back in the game, although whether he means coaching or the front office is unclear.

At the very least, if McNair wants to bring in a consultant again, please let it be Parcells or Ron Wolf, not Dan Reeves.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:31 PM
All-Pro

Default Coaching Changes

Ok, I'm going to start the 'get rid of this regime' rant. I really don't like complaining without offering a solution. Taking a look at main issue with the team, we would have to agree it's on the defensive side of the ball. When I look at the best defensive teams in the league, they run a 3-4 defense. My complaint against going this route has been that we don't have a NT, but we could sign a player in F/A and/or draft one. So, what might my coaching changes look like? I'm going to assume that Rob Ryan isn't available and shy away from the names you already know....

Head Coach: Mike Pettine
Coach Pettine installed a completely new defense and fielded a unit that ranked first in points allowed, total defense and pass defense.
http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coac...a-49f0b7ea15b6

Defensive Coordinator: Winston Moss
Last season Moss was part of a staff that guided the Packers defense to a No. 2 overall ranking in the league, the highest ranking since the ’96 team finished as the No. 1 defense.
http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/...3-59d09345a58d

Secondary Coach: Corwin Brown
Brown coached the defensive backs of the New York Jets for three years (2004-06). During his tenure, the Jets intercepted 56 passes, tied for fifth most in the NFL during that time.
http://www.patriots.com/team/index.c...hbio&bio=34155

Asst Secondary Coach: Otis Smith
http://www.kcchiefs.com/team/coaches...9-efcb70640f2a

Linebackers Coach: Jerry Olsavsky
http://www.steelers.com/team/coaches...e-8afc5bafbe3e

Defensive Line Coach:Ted Monachino
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/Peopl...Monachino.aspx

Now, I don't have a problem keeping Dennison or Knapp around on offense...I think that they have earned their keep. However, if we are cleaning house and starting over....here are some more names:

OC : Tom Clements
http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/...f-00f437249c9f

OL : Jerry Fontenot
http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/...8-2b3755d6a3aa

QB : Doug Pederson
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ea...ederson_1.html

WR : Shawn Jefferson
http://www.detroitlions.com/team/coa...c-49055d8a17dc

OR

Tim Berbenich
http://www.buccaneers.com/team/coach...6-37f8891f8199

TE : Jeff Davidson
http://www.panthers.com/team/coaches...c-d3248bea5e13

RB : Aaron Kromer
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/team...e-15aa21d518aa
Old 11-20-2010, 02:00 PM
All-Pro

This seems to be the topic this week everywhere one looks.

I guess it's a little early and counterproductive right now, but ok, understandable.

I would like team to win now, so that is why I think counterproductive.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Pro Bowler

Why not? Didn't Mr. McNair say we had to get to the playoffs this year? Playoffs! Playoffs? I can't think of a single game left on the schedule that we should win. Where are the liferafts, this ship is sinking fast.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:51 PM
All-Pro

First of all, I'm the guy who has been fighting tooth and nail to keep the 4-3 Defense. Our players on the roster have been brought in to play a 4 man front. I've been hopeful to have Okoye finally pan out as he got older and stronger. My thought was that once Frank Bush started calling the plays, he'd be more aggressive about blitzing. While that leaves our inexperienced CBs on an island, if we can get pressure on the QB quickly, then Kareem Jackson and Glover Quinn don't have to cover as long. Maybe we just need to start over on defense. If the Jets score more than 30 points this week against us....I'd suggest Firing Bush after the game and naming Rhodes or Kollar the D.C. Maybe just a different voice or play-caller is what we need. Jason Garrett made the Cowboys look better when Wade couldn't...

Anyway, looking at the upcoming draft...Ryan Kerrigan, Cameron Jordan, Cameron Heyward, Jerrell Powe, Jarvis Jenkins, and Greg Romeus are moving up my draftboard.

I would like to see Troy Nolan playing some more this season to figure out if we need to draft a FS or just let him develop. He's the only player in the Secondary who has 'ball hawk' skills.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Undrafted Rookie

I'd like to interview Jim Harbaugh
Old 11-21-2010, 11:28 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I'd like to interview Jim Harbaugh
I like the idea of having Harbaugh as the HC myself. But you gotta know that
Harbaugh would insist on dumping Schaub and drafting his Stanford QB if he could convince him to come out for the 2011 Draft, assuming we'll have a
Draft next year.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:48 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I like the idea of having Harbaugh as the HC myself. But you gotta know that
Harbaugh would insist on dumping Schaub and drafting his Stanford QB if he could convince him to come out for the 2011 Draft, assuming we'll have a
Draft next year.
How do we have anything close to the 1st pick of the draft? Without it Luck is going elsewhere.