IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2008, 08:35 PM
All-Pro

Default 2009 Free Agents

After the debacle in Tennessee, there has been a level of frustration in Houston that has people calling for heads. The GM, Coaches, and Players are all feeling the heat today. The Texans franchise has had 7 years of ineptitude, and perhaps that will put some fire under management to go out on the Free Agent market this off-season instead of waiting for draft picks to pan out. While I'm not discussing signing all of these guys, here are some names to consider.

QBs - Kyle Boller or J.P. Losman (are they better than what we have?)
RBs - Brandon Jacobs or Ricky Williams (I would have liked to have signed Julius Jones this last off-season).
WR - Roy Williams, Lee Evans, T.J. Houshmandzedeh (Why can't we have 1a and 1b at the WR positions?)
TE - Leonard Pope (He's big and can catch better than Breuner)
OL - Jordan Gross
DE - Terrell Suggs or Bertrand Berry (Imagine that on the other side of Mario)
DT - Shaun Cody or Marcus Tubbs (Improvement over Zgonina, Maddow, Robinson)
LB - Karlos Dansby or James Farrior (Tackling needs to improve on our Defense)
DB - Chris Gamble, Dawan Landry, Kelvin Hayden, Bryant McFadden, Daven Holly (Oh yeah, Dunta Robinson is a FA)
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Training Camp Fodder

I looked at this a few days ago too. My paired down wish list would be:
RB - Jacobs
WR - Williams (maybe we can get him back into the state)
DE - Suggs
LB - either Dansby or Farrior would be nice
DB - Robinson

We've got several others I'd like to re-up as well...
Old 09-23-2008, 07:12 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post

RBs - Brandon Jacobs or Ricky Williams (I would have liked to have signed Julius Jones this last off-season).
WR - Roy Williams, Lee Evans, T.J. Houshmandzedeh (Why can't we have 1a and 1b at the WR positions?)
OL - Jordan Gross
DB - Chris Gamble, Dawan Landry, Kelvin Hayden, Bryant McFadden, Daven Holly (Oh yeah, Dunta Robinson is a FA)
jacobs would be outstanding. any of those WR's start instantly. actually, i think most of these people would start so...any!! just not guys that are 30 and injured.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM
All-Pro

1st off this team is still not one or two guys away, so I am not in favor of spending on any big name FA.

2nd off name one feature RB that left a team in FA and still produced? I mean he had to already be a feature, not a backup.

I see the FA names on this list as guys that will be looking for big raises, and I am not looking to put all my eggs in one basket so to speak.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Regular Starter

Losman is pretty good outside of the pocket. I really disliked him coming into the draft but I think he could be a good replacement for Sage in our system.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
1st off this team is still not one or two guys away, so I am not in favor of spending on any big name FA.

2nd off name one feature RB that left a team in FA and still produced? I mean he had to already be a feature, not a backup.

I see the FA names on this list as guys that will be looking for big raises, and I am not looking to put all my eggs in one basket so to speak.
You know, I am really, really tired of hearing that. When will we be one or two, and most important when will we be all the way ready?
Old 09-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
After the debacle in Tennessee, there has been a level of frustration in Houston that has people calling for heads. The GM, Coaches, and Players are all feeling the heat today. The Texans franchise has had 7 years of ineptitude, and perhaps that will put some fire under management to go out on the Free Agent market this off-season instead of waiting for draft picks to pan out. While I'm not discussing signing all of these guys, here are some names to consider.

OL - Jordan Gross
There's plenty of guys on that list that I love. I doubt more than two or three ever get to free agency though. The ones that due are probably in for big paydays.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
You know, I am really, really tired of hearing that. When will we be one or two, and most important when will we be all the way ready?
I'm not against going after a higher caliber free agent, but name me one team that went from bad/mediocre to a real contender by spending big in free agency.

I get the frustration. We're still talking about finding a running game, still talking about finding ways to pressure the QB, still talking about how to protect ours, still talking about being more than a year away....it's getting really old, but when I look at our team I honestly don't see what bringing in a big name top flight free agent is going to do but put us in cap trouble.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Regular Starter

well papabear, if our team is so bad that not even good players can fix it...

....we all need to drop interest immediately. the housh would make our passing attack pretty lethal. jacobs would give us the perfect compliment to slaton. anybody worth his salt in the front 7 especially LB is an upgrade.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
well papabear, if our team is so bad that not even good players can fix it...

....we all need to drop interest immediately. the housh would make our passing attack pretty lethal. jacobs would give us the perfect compliment to slaton. anybody worth his salt in the front 7 especially LB is an upgrade.
I'm not saying it's not fixable....I don't even think they are anywhere near as bad as most people seem to think they are. Just using the names you mentioned...What good would Housh do if the QB can't get the ball to him, whether it's the QB's or the line's fault. Our passing attack was pretty dang good last year, and with everyone returning it should be even better this year. Would he be nice to have, Hell yes, but that's not going to fix the underlying problem.

If we could sign 3 or 4 of these guys it would most likely help a great deal. I don't think we have the cap room for that (I would bet most teams don't either). We have some guys most of us would probably like to see being kept around who will need new contracts soon. Even if we could afford it now we would be paying for it down the road...potentially with dead money on the cap.

From Roy's list I would be absolutely estatic about Roy W. or TJ, Pope, Gross...actually any of them except Ricky Williams. I also know that most of these potential free agents that people get excited about this time of year rarely ever hit the open market. The few that do usually have a short list (contenders) of teams they will play for, or are going for a HUGE contract.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:32 PM
On the Sidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Michael Turner
Old 09-23-2008, 09:42 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
Michael Turner
Turner was a backup to the best Rb in the game the last few years.

I am pointing at Jacobs with my statement. If the Giants let him leave it will be because he has been ridden hard and put up wet. Teams do not let stud RBs leave during their prime.