IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2016, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Default Texans Interested in QB Brock Osweiler [UPDATE: Reached Agreement]

Quote:
Benjamin Allbright ‏@AllbrightNFL 1:28 PM - 3 Mar 2016
Was told last weekend, told again today, the #Texans have "significant interest" in Brock Osweiler

The Texans have cleared more than $40 million in cap room. They have built themselves a warchest to pursue just about anyone they want that hits the open market. There is a QB-sized hole in their salary cap.

Bill O'Brien was on ESPN the morning after the Super Bowl (Mike & Mike?) and emphatically hoped that Peyton Manning would not retire. With Manning still not announcing his intentions, O'Brien may be getting his wish.

Either Manning hits the open market and becomes a tutor to a likely first round draft pick, or Osweiler, no longer under the control of the Broncos following their tagging of Von Miller, hits free agency available to the highest bidder.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:02 PM
Pro Bowler

Man, I hope not. I didn't see anything out of Osweiler that merits a big contract. The only way I'd do it is if we can sign him to a deal that has an early and cheap escape clause if he doesn't work out. I'd rather target someone like Lamar Miller to solve the RB issue, possibly sign an OL or WR (maybe Rishard Mathews) and then sell the farm if need be to move up for a QB.

PFF listed Osweiler as one of their potential "Free Agents about to be Overpaid":

Quote:
6. Brock Osweiler, QB, Broncos

The thirst for a quarterback in the NFL today is real. The Redskins tagging Kirk Cousins is really all you need to know about the desperation teams feel. If Peyton Manning does indeed retire, the Broncos will be experiencing a similar squeeze. This could very well lead them to splurge on their former second-round pick, whom they have spent four years developing. Outside of the Patriots game though, Osweiler (71.3) has shown little indication that he’s a quarterback that should be starting in this league. His 26.7 deep-accuracy percentage was second-worst in the NFL.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-get-overpaid/
Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 AM
All-Pro

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-agent-today/

Texans are planning to lure Osweiler away while the Broncos are having their farewell ceremony for Peyton Manning. Denver made a 3-yr, $45 million bid to Ossie but it is not known how much of that is incentives and how much of it is guaranteed.

Or maybe Ossie is just tired of being upstaged by HOF quarterbacks every time he grabs his helmet.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:56 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Or maybe Ossie is just tired of being upstaged by HOF quarterbacks every time he grabs his helmet.
If he comes to Houston I guarantee he will not have that problem.

I would hate for the Texans to spend a ton of money on that guy.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Pursuing Osweiler gives us a little indication that the team is not buying Tom Savage as a possible starter. Otherwise you make Savage battle a rookie QB in camp to start Week 1.

O'Brien refuses to let a rookie QB start if he can avoid it. If you forget the pains of the lack of production at the position over the past two years of journeymen, then I can see the argument that he already has a championship-caliber defense and just needs a game manager to keep the team at a playoff level.

Osweiler being under center when the Broncos beat the Patriots in the regular season is about to make him a lot of money from some team. That said, $15M/yr is below average still for a starting QB in the league.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Pro Bowler

You guys need to remember, we're in lying season. No one but the team and the player knows the truth behind any of these "reports."

If he shows up at a Houston airport, then I'll believe there is interest. Till then, I'm going to assume the agents are trying to create a market.