IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Regular Starter

Default Sold!

I have bounced around with several different players that I thought we should target in the first round but now I am absolutely sold on who that should be.

Mike Iupati, G, Idaho is an absolute stud! I had doubt a guy with his size (6'5" 330)would be able to excell in the ZB scheme we utilze. Not anymore. I am just blown away by this guy. Not only does he dominate on the feild but he shows a presence on the sideline that you just dont see from linemen. Mark my words, this guy is giong to be special. I only hope he last until our pick and we are smart enough to draft him.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:39 AM
All-Pro

We. Need. A. Corner. Although I'm not opposed to using free agency as long as its a better decision than signing Jacques Reeves.

Wouldn't shock me if your boy were there in Round 2. A lot of teams won't draft players from second-tier programs in the first round because of the level of competition. If he gets invited to and plays lights out at one of these Senior Bowl-type games, his stock may rise into the first. Dominating Bowling Green isn't exactly going to get personnel guys into a lather.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Veteran Depth

I like him... but I'm also high on Mike Johnson out of Alabama. I'm with Bob on this one... Give me Joe Haden. I think both Iupati and Johnson have a chance of being there in round two and I wouldn't hesitate on taking either one at that time.

Also... concerning some of the other guards... Sergio Render and Jon Asamoah I wouldn't touch either before the 5th or 6th round. Color me not impressed.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:37 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunn View Post
I like him... but I'm also high on Mike Johnson out of Alabama. I'm with Bob on this one... Give me Joe Haden. I think both Iupati and Johnson have a chance of being there in round two and I wouldn't hesitate on taking either one at that time.

Also... concerning some of the other guards... Sergio Render and Jon Asamoah I wouldn't touch either before the 5th or 6th round. Color me not impressed.
Johnson might last until the 3rd, but IMO Iupati is going in the 1st round. And he will be one of the best OG in the league in a year or two, no matter the system. The guy is that good. He has some of the quickest feet I have seen on a 330lb-er. He plays like he's 295lb on the edge and he has the arms to keep players off his body. He will be a stud and I want him over any CB in this draft. This is a weak CB draft.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Johnson might last until the 3rd, but IMO Iupati is going in the 1st round. And he will be one of the best OG in the league in a year or two, no matter the system. The guy is that good. He has some of the quickest feet I have seen on a 330lb-er. He plays like he's 295lb on the edge and he has the arms to keep players off his body. He will be a stud and I want him over any CB in this draft. This is a weak CB draft.
We'll see.... I hate to say that a player is going here or there in the draft. It's just so early in the process. I like what I've seen of Mike Johnson and if he were to be around in the 3rd round.... someone is going to get a really good bargain on a high quality player.

As for what I've seen of Haden... he has the chance to be a really good player in the NFL. He would be an instant upgrade over Dunta and likely be the best corner on this team from the word go. They are both huge areas of need for this team... No question about it. You won't hear me complaining either way if one or the other is upgraded.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:08 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I with you on Iupati. Johnson is nothing more than a 3rd rounder IMO as well. Straight ahead power blocking is his strength. He is average at best in pulling and finding a block in the open field. That is why I dont see him a good fit here. If hes drafted by a power running team (I think he will) he will do well. Outside of Haden who wont last until we pick, especially after the combine, there isnt any CB that would help us more than the trench guys that should be available. IMO.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:53 AM
Veteran Depth

IMO there is little chance we will continue the ZBS. By now even Kubes should be convinced that it can't replace 'Hawgs' up front anymore. I don't know what has occurred to marginalize it, but it just isn't working very well anymore. Maybe the defenses have caught up with it. Gibbs probably won't hang around next year especially if Kubiak doesn't and we will switch to a more conventional lne philosophy. For these reasons I doubt we will rate our prospects on their ability to play in the ZBS.

With that said Iupati is still a good choice!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRocket View Post
IMO there is little chance we will continue the ZBS. By now even Kubes should be convinced that it can't replace 'Hawgs' up front anymore. I don't know what has occurred to marginalize it, but it just isn't working very well anymore. Maybe the defenses have caught up with it. Gibbs probably won't hang around next year especially if Kubiak doesn't and we will switch to a more conventional lne philosophy. For these reasons I doubt we will rate our prospects on their ability to play in the ZBS.

With that said Iupati is still a good choice!
I pray you are right but as stubborn as Kubiak has shown to be I highly doubt he has learned from his failings.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:40 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I have bounced around with several different players that I thought we should target in the first round but now I am absolutely sold on who that should be.

Mike Iupati, G, Idaho is an absolute stud! I had doubt a guy with his size (6'5" 330)would be able to excell in the ZB scheme we utilze. Not anymore. I am just blown away by this guy. Not only does he dominate on the feild but he shows a presence on the sideline that you just dont see from linemen. Mark my words, this guy is giong to be special. I only hope he last until our pick and we are smart enough to draft him.
Honestly if he's that good how come he's not playing OT instead of guard ?
Old 01-01-2010, 04:27 PM
All-Pro

The main thing that hurt the ZBS is the outlawing of the cut block. The other is the zone blitz where blockers have no idea where the pass rushers are coming from.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Honestly if he's that good how come he's not playing OT instead of guard ?
Stay tuned!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:46 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
The main thing that hurt the ZBS is the outlawing of the cut block. The other is the zone blitz where blockers have no idea where the pass rushers are coming from.
Sounds like a damn good reason not to run it then. I know an offensive line is one of the harder things to assemble on a football team, but we might as well get going.

The Oilers never could have a decent season until they put together a decent line, not that the 'Tyler Rose' didn't hasten their development. I remember Glanville talking about playing smashmouth football, in those days it our mouths usually getting smashed.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:00 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
We. Need. A. Corner.
If it comes down to drafting Trevard Lindley or Brandon Ghee insted of Mike Iupati, put me down for the "dancing bear" to run behind on 3rd and 3. This offense was lacking a good push for most of the year and it was worse when Chester Pitts got hurt. This guy is a freak of nature and I like that for a 1st round pick.