IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 11-07-2017, 08:34 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Thanks as always for the information. What are the hurdles? Who is placing them?
This is me talking (not my friend)....I am sure the fact that McNair's phone/email records were deposed by Kaep's lawsuit might have something to do with it. Does McNair need to be removed from the request before he is brought in for a workout? Would be a pretty weird situation to be in a legal situation regarding no one signing him with the guy that signed him.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Regular Starter

This IS from my friend....

After they cut up the tape yesterday, the staff saw just how bad Savage performed. Rumblings that he may not start this week. Wide open receivers missed constantly because he was locking on to Hopkins on almost every play. Direct quote from a coach "The game shouldn't have even been close if he sees them."
Old 11-07-2017, 09:57 AM
All-Pro

I was wondering if signing Kaep would help McNair in the collusion case. I mean, how the hell can he collude to keep a guy out of the league that he's just signed? If signing Kaep effectively gets McNair a get out of jail free card AND it makes football sense, well, McNair would really, really have to want to sit with the cool kids at lunch not to move on it.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:43 PM
All-Pro

At this point, Kaep is likely rustier than a '55 Chevy at the bottom of a lake. If rushed into action, he'll just embarrass himself.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:47 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
... he'll just embarrass himself.
Great point. Better stick with Savage, then.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:00 PM
Regular Starter

well - the Texans signed Josh Johnson. I don't have the back story yet from my friend but either Kaep said no way I am playing for Houston or McNair said no way we are signing Kaep.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:08 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
At this point, Kaep is likely rustier than a '55 Chevy at the bottom of a lake.
Great point. So let's sign a guy who hasn't attempted a pass since 2011.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:45 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
I was wondering if signing Kaep would help McNair in the collusion case. I mean, how the hell can he collude to keep a guy out of the league that he's just signed? If signing Kaep effectively gets McNair a get out of jail free card AND it makes football sense, well, McNair would really, really have to want to sit with the cool kids at lunch not to move on it.
It couldn't hurt. The owners would say exactly that. Kaepernick's lawyers would say signing him now doesn't mean that there wasn't collusion up to this point, and that the Texans only signed him to try to help their case (which McNair would rebut with the game film of Savage against the Colts). The Texans trying to condition his signing on letting McNair out would not be good, as Kaepernick's attorneys would claim that was just a guy who had been caught red handed trying to cut a deal.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:54 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I bet they're trying to muzzle him with the contract. Or at the least limit him to kneeling outside of the anthem.
I don’t think that was the case. They could cut him for any reason so there’s no need to try to put something like that in his contract. If they wanted to be able to get his signing bonus back (if he would get a signing bonus at all), the CBA doesn’t allow forfeiture of his signing bonus for something like that. They could try to un-guarantee his remaining salary (assuming it is otherwise guaranteed) but if that’s what they want to do they should just not guarantee it at all. And while it doesn't prove collusion Kapernick's attorneys would have a field day with it.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:20 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I don’t think that was the case. They could cut him for any reason so there’s no need to try to put something like that in his contract. If they wanted to be able to get his signing bonus back (if he would get a signing bonus at all), the CBA doesn’t allow forfeiture of his signing bonus for something like that. They could try to un-guarantee his remaining salary (assuming it is otherwise guaranteed) but if that’s what they want to do they should just not guarantee it at all. And while it doesn't prove collusion Kapernick's attorneys would have a field day with it.
I meant more just both sides making expectations clear before signing. Like the front office saying we'll sign you if you agree to not kneel during the anthem.

He isn't getting any real money from anyone so I didn't mean anything about that. His only hope is to play for the minimum and hope to play well enough to get paid next year.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:33 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerack View Post
well - the Texans signed Josh Johnson. I don't have the back story yet from my friend but either Kaep said no way I am playing for Houston or McNair said no way we are signing Kaep.
I heard somewhwer that McNair thought he was signing Kaep because McNair said this Johnson guy looks like Kaep.
Will this addition to the team make the Chuckster happy, he's been kinda cranky lately, noticed that ? He gets that way around Christmas it seems.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:54 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Great point. So let's sign a guy who hasn't attempted a pass since 2011.
Johnson was a late cut of the Giants *this year* so he's been active more recently than Kaep and apparently has the proper pigmentation to be seen backing up Watson.

Other than that, I have no clue how Smith pulled this guy's name out of the dumpster.

At this point, I wouldn't mind if the Texans signed Barack Obama to QB the club. Yes, he throws like a girl and would rather be playing golf, but it would be cool to watch BO run for his life behind our wretched o-line.

Last edited by HPF Bob; 11-08-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:36 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
At this point, I wouldn't mind if the Texans signed Barack Obama to QB the club. Yes, he throws like a girl and would rather be playing golf, but it would be cool to watch BO run for his life behind our wretched o-line.
The good news is he's shown himself to be quite cool under pressure. The bad news is he's left handed, so no-go, Buford, sorry about that.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:38 PM
Pro Bowler

With Kaep suing the league, I would doubt he will play again. Which one of those old grouchy billionaires would want to sign a backup distraction that is suing his bread and butter?

The illusion of Kaep is much more enticing than the actual player. The media keeps beating the drum as it is click bait. Kaep likely doesn't want to play, as he would likely fail, and all the hype is flushed down the toilet, as is his "movement."

I would much rather see them overpay to bring Tyrod in as a backup next season.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:58 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
With Kaep suing the league, I would doubt he will play again. Which one of those old grouchy billionaires would want to sign a backup distraction that is suing his bread and butter?

The illusion of Kaep is much more enticing than the actual player. The media keeps beating the drum as it is click bait. Kaep likely doesn't want to play, as he would likely fail, and all the hype is flushed down the toilet, as is his "movement."

I would much rather see them overpay to bring Tyrod in as a backup next season.
Jerry Jones is suing the league. The league is dying a slow death by a thousand cuts (or blows to the head if you prefer). Kaep is small time on the list of concerns for the NFL. They removed him from the league and it did nothing to stem the tide of protests or the response to those protests.

As for whether Kaep on this team makes sense, nothing you said addresses that. Obviously I'd rather have Tyrod Taylor as a backup in 9 months. I didn't see a single person anywhere suggest employing Kaep in 2018. Kaep to the Texans is simply a question of whether you'd rather see Savage, Weeden, Yates, or Kaepernick lead Hopkins into vicious hits while running around in a disintegrating pocket.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:26 PM
All-Pro

Minor detail, Brandon Weeden is backup QB for Tennessee now.

If we are now in the get ready for draft and 2018 mode, i'd cut savage, ? On Yates?, rather try out a few available mobil QBs, maybe one will be a good fit to backup QB.

Not sure at all why Savage still here, or still starting, but i guess letting him start or stay helps us get higher draft picks in rounds we draft in.