IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 03-10-2016, 09:34 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
We didn't snatch him away. He was Denver's if they wanted him. They chose not to offer him market value. We got him by paying more, not by sweet talking him away. And consider that Denver allowed him to walk without another QB on the roster.

Either way we are paying big time proven QB money for a guy who has less starting time than last year's rookies. Paying a guy with almost no experience or track record like a guy who has experience and track record is not called having your cake and eating it too.

QB A - 62%, 246 ypg, 1.3 TDpg, .8 INTpg, 86.4 rating
QB B - 61%, 246 ypg, 1.7 TDpg, .6 INTpg, 91.4 rating

Can you guess which of those QBs is Brian Hoyer and which of those QBs is getting paid $18 million per year?
Oh they wanted him though likly their pockets weren't deep enough to retain him, to afford him. Do I wish we could have gotten him for less ? Sure I wish we could trade a couple mid-round picks to GB for Aaron Rogers. I wish I could have bought my house for less, but I love it here and it's home now. Sometimes one just has to stick their head into it and do it. Kudos to the Texans for making this really big move here.
ne;This is a lot better than coughing up several Draft picks (maybe including multiple 1st rounders) for a college QB with not a single snap of training camp experience.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:38 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Oh they wanted him though likly their pockets weren't deep enough to retain him, to afford him. Do I wish we could have gotten him for less ? Sure I wish we could trade a couple mid-round picks to GB for Aaron Rogers. I wish I could have bought my house for less, but I love it here and it's home now. Sometimes one just has to stick their head into it and do it. Kudos to the Texans for making this really big move here.
ne;This is a lot better than coughing up several Draft picks (maybe including multiple 1st rounders) for a college QB with not a single snap of training camp experience.
A college QB would have cost more draft picks but far less money. Either way we allocated huge resources and I hope Brock is great. And no matter what, I am happy we picked a QB and are moving forward for better or worse.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:31 AM
All-Pro

Osweiler gave fans just enough (Patriots, Steelers 1st half) to see greatness and just enough (Chargers, Steelers 2nd half) to be fearful. He's not a graceful runner but he can get the job done and he has the strong arm to zing the ball where it needs to go but he seemed to be easily confused on blitzes which may/may not be cured with more playing time instead of sitting on the bench.

Personally, I think the Texans overpaid but, given their situation, it's as good an option as anything else. Think of it this way: Texans traded Hoyer, Foster, Jones and Brooks for Osweiler, Miller, Allen and Bergstrom. Did we improve? Depends how you look at it.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:37 AM
All-Pro

Texans certainly made some bold moves yesterday. Hope they work out in next two years.

Seems 18 mil is only 14th highest qb salary in 2016, so with two year out option not bad.

Os is 25, so hoping we get the upside to show. Hope our rebuilt Oline performs well, if so, we should be okay.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:57 AM
All-Pro

I have no idea how the cap wizards do this but the contract for Osweiler is front-loaded yet will only count $12 million against this year's cap, according to sources. Apparently, much of this year's money is a big bonus that doesn't fully count against the cap.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:25 PM
Regular Starter

Interesting read on the move: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...it-first-seems
Old 03-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
I have no idea how the cap wizards do this but the contract for Osweiler is front-loaded yet will only count $12 million against this year's cap, according to sources. Apparently, much of this year's money is a big bonus that doesn't fully count against the cap.
Bonus money is spread over the term of the deal. So while the players guarantees are all in the 1st 2 years, there would still be some cap ramifications if they cut bait in year 3.

I am not too hung up on the money. They had it. They spent it. Let the accountants worry about how to make it work. I can only think of a couple of times they have truly been in cap troubles, so apparently they know how to manipulate it. Also, with the cap ever increasing, I really don't see it as a huge burden either way.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
We didn't snatch him away. He was Denver's if they wanted him. They chose not to offer him market value.
Maybe? Rumors exist that Osweiler wasn't as interested in a return given his dislike of Kubiak's offense and how he felt he was treated last season. And the Broncos offered him ~$16M per yr reportedly, but yeah, they didn't want him.

I honestly think Elway botched this. He had a hard time giving that kind of money to a player with a half season's worth of starts. And he likely underestimated the market, which is somewhat understandable before seeing what guys like Cousins and Bradford are being paid this year. Elway is about to find out how hard life is being a QB-needy team like the Texans have been the past three seasons.

Quote:
Think of it this way: Texans traded Hoyer, Foster, Jones and Brooks for Osweiler, Miller, Allen and Bergstrom. Did we improve? Depends how you look at it.
It's all about the QB. Pick Hoyer and any three other players and you've made the wrong choice, period. Hoyer wasn't a factor for 2016 anyway... the team would have invested at minimum their first round pick in a new QB. So the team really trades a rookie QB, an injured Foster, and newly minted Jones and Brooks for a 1st round pick, Osweiler, a young and healthy Miller, Allen and Bergstrom.

And keep in mind this is about 2016... meaning 2012 Arian Foster is now a 30-yr old running back entering training camp on a bad Achilles heel. Jones and Brooks are decent starters, but they're being paid more than Allen and Bergstrom for questionable, if any, improvement over the former. So I don't think this depends on how you look at it at all.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:41 AM
Pro Bowler

Regardless of cost, I'm happy and am willing to give Osweiler a chance. And hey, he was smart enough not to pick jersey #8. That's a good start right there, IMO.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:28 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
If I try hard enough I can find a way to defend this. He's not a rookie and at the very least you know he can play some. A couple of the rookies coming out this year will probably be very good in a few years and a couple will flame out entirely. The Texans minimize the risk of a total flameout in exchange for giving the guy veteran money. I might not have done things this way but as I said I can find a way to defend it.
Welp. Shows what I know. We'd already seen that he was so historically bad as a Texan that they sold the farm to get Cleveland to take him out of the building. And apparently he is so terrible that the team with arguably the worst quarterback situation in the history of the modern NFL over the last 25 years can't use him.

Let that sink in for a minute. McNeck and Ricky pooled their collective intellectual prowess and gave $37 million dollars to a guy that not only can't win the Browns starting job, he can't even make the fking team. Unreal.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:22 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Welp. Shows what I know. We'd already seen that he was so historically bad as a Texan that they sold the farm to get Cleveland to take him out of the building. And apparently he is so terrible that the team with arguably the worst quarterback situation in the history of the modern NFL over the last 25 years can't use him.

Let that sink in for a minute. McNeck and Ricky pooled their collective intellectual prowess and gave $37 million dollars to a guy that not only can't win the Browns starting job, he can't even make the fking team. Unreal.
He must have a terrible attitude. If he was a tiny bit professional he'd be the backup.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:48 PM
Hall of Fame

He kinda reminds me of Eddie Haskell from the old Leave it to Beaver show.

He should never have to work a day for the rest of his life if he invests his money wisely.....
Old 09-01-2017, 10:58 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
He must have a terrible attitude. If he was a tiny bit professional he'd be the backup.
I'm sure you've read everything I've read on him. What I've concluded is that his confidence is shot (I initially mistyped that with an i which basically amounts to the same thing) and that once he decided that he couldn't read defenses he was just about done.

It makes me wonder. I had lots of problems with Kubiak, but as Pickett's signature attests, I obviously think had a way with quarterbacks. BOB, the supposed quarterback guru, well, let's just say the jury's still out on that one. I'm pretty sure if you put me in a room with Brady for half an hour I'd walk out of there a mfing quarterback guru, too.

From what I've gathered Brock was soft and he lost his confidence. I suppose that can happen to a guy. But, I don't know, that sort of sounds like a 6th round flyer more than a $40 million dollar man.

Anyhoo, the Texans are all set now with a guy who can't stay healthy and a guy who can't hit a target. I will say that from what I've seen Watson's arm strength does not seem to be an issue. He has plenty of arm strength to throw it right the fk over any receiver who happens to be running around in the defensive secondary. So we can dispose of that particular issue.

You gentlemen will have to excuse me. I'm about to
climb into my helicopter and embark on a journey to my
valley finca for a quick cheese tasting. I have some fresh pressed olive
oil and some young white to evaluate, also. I'm sure you
understand, you're all men of the world, especially nunu.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:57 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm sure you've read everything I've read on him. What I've concluded is that his confidence is shot (I initially mistyped that with an i which basically amounts to the same thing) and that once he decided that he couldn't read defenses he was just about done.

It makes me wonder. I had lots of problems with Kubiak, but as Pickett's signature attests, I obviously think had a way with quarterbacks. BOB, the supposed quarterback guru, well, let's just say the jury's still out on that one. I'm pretty sure if you put me in a room with Brady for half an hour I'd walk out of there a mfing quarterback guru, too.

From what I've gathered Brock was soft and he lost his confidence. I suppose that can happen to a guy. But, I don't know, that sort of sounds like a 6th round flyer more than a $40 million dollar man.

Anyhoo, the Texans are all set now with a guy who can't stay healthy and a guy who can't hit a target. I will say that from what I've seen Watson's arm strength does not seem to be an issue. He has plenty of arm strength to throw it right the fk over any receiver who happens to be running around in the defensive secondary. So we can dispose of that particular issue.

You gentlemen will have to excuse me. I'm about to
climb into my helicopter and embark on a journey to my
valley finca for a quick cheese tasting. I have some fresh pressed olive
oil and some young white to evaluate, also. I'm sure you
understand, you're all men of the world, especially nunu.
I saw an article yesterday that half of the NFL's starting QBs will be over 30.
And even crazier, 11 of the top 15 passers from 2011 will be starting opening day. That's why Stafford, Carr, and Luck are so rich. There are no young guys who can play QB right now.

So it's scary to draft a young guy when it might mean you are tying your franchise to 3 years of awful QB play that you can't give up on because you spent a 1st round pick (Blake Bortles). So instead of taking the plunge at QB in the draft, we tried a shortcut and threw piles of money at a guy who couldn't play on his previous team but won some games due to an awesome defense. Of course we only tried that after 2 years of pretend QBs.

So we are now 4 years away from Kubiak and Schaub, and we are just now dipping our toes in with a brand new rookie QB. The good news is that by 2020 we should know if we need another QB or not.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:47 PM
All-Pro

Brock actually looked like a guy who could play in Denver. Small sample size, sure. But he looked like an NFL quarterback. Buford'll tell you.

I guess what I'm saying is that Kubiak has my eternal respect because he licks his palms and magically turns a guy who can't play for the worst team in the history of the sport into a reasonable facsimile of an NFL player.

I like Matthew Stafford fine. I think he's pretty good. But that contract? Man. It's crazy what you have to pay for pretty good.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:51 PM
All-Pro

You scared me. I saw the headline and thought "Ozzie is back???"

particularly coupled with the news that they'd cut Weeden.

Oh, well. I'm busy watching the Twerps demolish the Longhorns. The Curse of the Longhorn Network continues...
Old 09-02-2017, 12:54 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Oh, well. I'm busy watching the Twerps demolish the Longhorns. The Curse of the Longhorn Network continues...
I'd forgotten all about that game. My younger self would be disgusted at what I've become. Of course, if I could have a couple of words with my younger self...
Old 09-02-2017, 09:08 PM
All-Pro

Once I started my retirement countdown and began focusing on a new location, I've found myself caring less about things that used to occupy my unswerving loyalty. Realizing I don't need all these clothes in my closet where I'm going, I bagged four hefty bags full of shirts and pants on Wednesday to send to hurricane victims. A lot of folks had to leave with just the shirt on their backs. If I can give several victims a few extra shirts to wear, it's well worth it and very little sacrifice.

Anyway, Osweiler is back with the Broncos! Small world, eh? I guess living in Peyton Manning's shadow doesn't look so bad now.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:30 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Once I started my retirement countdown and began focusing on a new location, I've found myself caring less about things that used to occupy my unswerving loyalty. Realizing I don't need all these clothes in my closet where I'm going, I bagged four hefty bags full of shirts and pants on Wednesday to send to hurricane victims. A lot of folks had to leave with just the shirt on their backs. If I can give several victims a few extra shirts to wear, it's well worth it and very little sacrifice.
I hope they like oversized Broncos sweatshirts, Promise Keepers 1997 tees and velcro Reeboks.

Just kidding, nice work. There was amazingly little loss of life for a storm of this size but it is impossible for me to comprehend the number of families that lost everything.

By the way, I'm not done talking about what we were discussing earlier. I still owe you some thoughts.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:12 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
I hope they like oversized Broncos sweatshirts, Promise Keepers 1997 tees and velcro Reeboks.
None of those but the lucky will get some Astros polos and tees in now retro colors plus an LSU t-shirt I got from a now-defunct store in Baton Rouge and an Edmonton Oilers tee shirt from my Wayne Gretzky days.

I held onto my Phi Slama Jama t-shirt that Coach Lewis signed for me. I also kept two Larry Dierker-style Hawaiian shirts with Astros logos on them. I decided these still might have monetary value some day.