IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Other 31 Teams

Old 10-18-2013, 10:43 PM
All-Pro

Default R.I.P. - O.A. "Bum" Phillips

Former Houston Oilers head coach Bum Phillips passed away in Goliad at age 90. Phillips coached the Oilers to two AFC Championship Games, losing both to the Pittsburgh Steelers. His son, Wade Phillips, has also been an NFL head coach and is currently defensive coordinator for the Houston Texans.

Bum personified Texas and Houston better than any professional sports coach the city has had before or since. He was dearly loved and will be deeply missed by all for his forthrightness, his homespun humor, and the way he helped shaped men for generations.

Bum was far from it. He used to say "that's a nickname, not a description."
Old 10-19-2013, 01:34 AM
Administrator

Old 10-19-2013, 11:47 AM
All-Pro

He was special and one of a kind. I read his book, and I was surprised to learn of all he accomplished and how Texas High School football was changed by him, a true Texas legion and a Houston mount Rushmore type person.

He and Rudy T, are our biggest bright spots when comes to HCing.

Of course I am ignoring the great coaches of U of H, I am only talking from the professional level.

I'm still holding the Rope, thanks to Bum. ( only the old timers will know this reference.)
Old 10-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Drafted Rookie

"Holding the rope." I haven't thought of that one in many years. Thanks PK.

I was there at the dome when the Oilers' buses drove into the stadium after they lost at Pittsburgh. Everybody had their pom-poms. That was the night Bum talked of "kickin' the SOB in."

Yes, Houston has a few "fans" that have no class. But after being in the Astrodome that night, no one can tell me that this city does not have some of the greatest fans anywhere. We've had our hearts broken so many times over the years--Oilers, Astros, and now the Texans. We've had K.S. Bud Adams tell the world that Houston wouldn't support the team, and he moved to Tennessee. That was after we voted to renovate the Astrodome to keep him from moving the team to Jacksonville a few years earlier.

Through it all, Houston never lost its love for Bum Phillips. The city joins his family in mourning his loss. Rest in peace, Bum.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Bum personified Texas and Houston better than any professional sports coach the city has had before or since.
An argument could be made that he personified Texas and Houston better than any other professional sports coach has personified the city and state in which he coached. Truly one of a kind.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:33 PM
All-Pro

Question

Bum was a great person who gave us all many great memories. We will miss him. Condolences to the Phillips family.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Bum lives... through the opera.
http://bumphillipsopera.com/

Quote:
Musical director/composer Peter Stopschinski and director Luke Leonard, both of whom were rabid fans of the team at the time, came up with the idea of an opera about Bum after reading his autobiography, Bum Phillips: Cowboy, Coach, Christian. Librettist Kirk Lynn, who crafted the script from Bum's book but also drew heavily upon NFL Films footage, says: "I grew up loving Bum. When I was reading the book, I thought, 'He speaks like my Dad—funny, but also completely sincere and serious,'" he said, "Honestly, I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about people thinking about Texans and how we're stupid based on the way we speak. I wanted to let Bum be Bum and just be proud of it, because Bum was so great."
http://deadspin.com/inside-the-bum-p...phi-1547379732
Old 03-21-2014, 03:50 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
What might Bum have said had he known?

"Well, I guess it's an honor but Willie Nelson probably could have written up something in a half an hour and been done with it. Bring back Carl Mauck to sing "Oiler Cannonball" and that would have been enough for me. They didn't had to have done all that."