IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2015, 11:28 PM
Administrator

I don't know that any of these signings off other teams, taken as a whole, should significantly alter the Texans' draft plans. These are 2- or 3-year deals, somewhat front-loaded at that. Draft picks have a longer scope. These signings just help prevent the immediate needs for the next 1-2 years.

The 'long-term' team needs are really still the same... OLB, ILB, WR, C, CB, and possibly even QB... in some order.

That's part of what makes the potential of today's signings (Wilfork and Shorts) so good... they help alleviate the need to force a pick in the early rounds and allow the team to focus on long-term needs.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:17 AM
All-Pro

As far as the draft goes I'm not really wed to any position; I'd just kind of like to see them take some guys that suit up and play and make a positive impact. That would be swell.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:57 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
I don't give up on a WR at #16 just because we signed Shorts.

I'm still on the Parker/Strong bandwagon. We need a legit threat with DeAndre.
I agree with the concept of a WR at #16. They still don't have a real replacement for AJ on the outside. IMO Short is more of a slot guy, and I don't know that I trust Posey yet.

I had been hoping that they would take NT/DE Brown from Texas, but I don't see that happening now. But Brown can play DE and that would be a heck of a DL in the 3-4. Brown-Wilfork-Watt.

I like the WR angle but I am not sure a great one will be there at 16, so I am thinking CB.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:37 AM
Pro Bowler

I think a big factor will be Clowney's status the closer we get to the draft. If it looks like he's not coming back anytime soon, or heaven forbid never, I could see us going Edge since there seems to be a high number of quality prospects at that position with Beasley, Gregory, Fowler, Ray, Dupree... I could see one of those guys being there at #16.

I'm not sure how BOB feels about him, but if Mariota falls to #10 (Rams) or #11 (Vikings), I'm thinking hard about trading up. He won't make it past #12 (CLE). Might be the one shot at a top QB prospect in BOB's tenure.

EDIT: After looking at the draft order, I'd be surprised MM falls past 6 or 7. Can't see the Jets or Bears passing him up. Maybe even the Skins at 5.

Last edited by popanot; 03-17-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:15 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
I think a big factor will be Clowney's status the closer we get to the draft. If it looks like he's not coming back anytime soon, or heaven forbid never, I could see us going Edge since there seems to be a high number of quality prospects at that position with Beasley, Gregory, Fowler, Ray, Dupree... I could see one of those guys being there at #16.

I'm not sure how BOB feels about him, but if Mariota falls to #10 (Rams) or #11 (Vikings), I'm thinking hard about trading up. He won't make it past #12 (CLE). Might be the one shot at a top QB prospect in BOB's tenure.

EDIT: After looking at the draft order, I'd be surprised MM falls past 6 or 7. Can't see the Jets or Bears passing him up. Maybe even the Skins at 5.
The Draft is not much more than a month away and I don't think we will know much more if anything more about Clowneys impact or lack thereof on our 2015 season by then.
I don't see MM as a Bob kinda QB, and getting him would likely be prohibitively expensive for the Texans. But there may be somebody else in this Draft he likes ? He's had a respectable FA this year, nothing spectacular
while keeping our cap very much under control and also filling some needs.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:58 AM
Pro Bowler

If the draft fell this way...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...ariota-mystery

...I pull the trigger and move up to #10 or #11 for Mariota. I don't think it would cost all that much to move up into that range from #16, and like I said, it might be the only chance in a long time to have a shot at a top QB prospect that is young, cheap and cap-saving for probably the next 4 years. If I'm HC and it looks like I'm going to be picking middle-of-the-pack range for the next few years (like it looks like the Texans might be) and have a shot at a top prospect, I'm pulling the trigger. I'd be done with the 3rd/4th/5th RD experiments.

That's not to say BOB will or that MM makes sense in his scheme, just that I would do it.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:37 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
That's an interesting mock but Dorial Green-Beckham is an ideal example of the sort of player the Texans never have anything to do with.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:53 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
That's an interesting mock but Dorial Green-Beckham is an ideal example of the sort of player the Texans never have anything to do with.
I thought the same thing. No way they would go DBG that high with his baggage. MAYBE if he fell to RD2 or RD3 and someone, somehow persuaded McNair.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:59 PM
All-Pro

I'm getting more interested in taking Strong. He's stronger and faster than Parker. Muscles defenders for the ball. Papa was a basketball star in college.

What he lacks is quickness at the snap but AJ wasn't that fast off the line either. I think he makes a good replacement.

Dorial G-B's profile reads too much like Justin Blackmon. A physical beast but wayyy too many red flags for me.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:17 PM
Pro Bowler

Enter-Sports ‏@EnterSportsMgmt 5h5 hours ago
Congrats to client, @AkeemDent, on agreeing to terms on new 2-year deal with Houston Texans! @AdamSchefter @ProFootballTalk

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 11s12 seconds ago
Akeem Dent's 2-year contract with the Texans is for $4.5 million with $2 million guaranteed.

Last edited by WMH; 03-24-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:41 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Roy P is suddenly going full Casserly on us. Hey, Roy, let's throw in a second, you know, sweeten the pot a little.
I am insulted being compared to Casserly, a man I nicknamed "Rasputin" and hope that you were joking. When I commented that Codarrelle Patterson could snag 40 catches, I was joking that was the "plan" for Andre Johnson in O'Brien's Offense this upcoming season.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:52 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't think they're done at WR either. While I wouldn't have a problem with them going WR at 16, I think they'll wait and go LB, OL (C/G), or Edge now.
I hope that there are at least options at #16 now. I don't see a 1st round ILB in this class. And I wouldn't hesitate to take Amari Cooper, Kevin White, or Devante Parker if they were available. The same goes for Vic Beasley, Dante Fowler, Randy Gregory, Shane Ray, or Bud Dupree if they are there. This class has decent OL like Scherff and Erving who may be better BPA when compared to Jaelen Strong or Eli Harold though. So, it depends on how the draft unfolds and not about filling your biggest glaring need.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:04 PM
All-Pro

Quote:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...ariota-mystery

...I pull the trigger and move up to #10 or #11 for Mariota.

That's not to say BOB will or that MM makes sense in his scheme, just that I would do it.
According to the Draft Chart, moving up to #10 from #16 would cost our 3rd round pick, but the Rams would have to part with their 4th & 5th round picks to even it out. Personally, I would rather have the extra 5th round pick, get the guy I wanted at #10, and hope I can get a 3rd round talent with the 4th rounder.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:51 PM
All-Pro

Just looking at the team roster on Texans web site, looks like Texans currently list 69 players, some will come and go , several names on there I don't recognize from last year.

But if add 10 draft picks, that brings count to 79, and need 90 for OTA start I believe, so 11 more of some type of UDFA, FA, to go to camp.

First workout with experienced players on roster is April 20. Maybe some QB competition coverage right before the draft.

Tim Jamison is one of our long time dependable players at DE who might get resigned?

By positioin groups see currently:
Offense
Oline
C 2
OG 3
OT 8

WR 9
RB 4
TE 4
FB 1
QB 3

Defense
Dline
DE 4
DT 3

OLB 8
ILB 3
CB 9
SS 5

Special Teams
K 1
P 1
LS 1

Last edited by Nconroe; 03-24-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:01 PM
Pro Bowler

@RapSheet: The #Texans are in discussions about bringing back versatile DL Antonio Smith, who was just released by the #Raiders. Could move quickly.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:46 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
@RapSheet: The #Texans are in discussions about bringing back versatile DL Antonio Smith, who was just released by the #Raiders. Could move quickly.

Antonio, Wilfork, Watt and add in Crick, Pagen, Nix to that. I like that front on paper.

If Nix makes it he field. That is a nice 6 man rotation.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk · 13m13 minutes ago
Texans sign Nate Washington http://wp.me/p14QSB-9K5n
1Yr deal for $1MM - $30K guaranteed. Cheap enough.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
1Yr deal for $1MM - $30K guaranteed. Cheap enough.
Definitely a low risk deal. Certainly having a vet like that can't hurt.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:16 PM
All-Pro

Surprises me, now we have 10 WR on roster.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:55 AM
Pro Bowler

Probably reading more into it than what's there, but with Washington and Shorts on board, perhaps WR isn't a huge priority now with Smith/BOB and they wait until RD2 or 3 to grab one. It seems the two areas we thought were high need, NT and WR, are now less likely the pick at #16.