IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2015, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Previously, I didn't think I'd give up much more than a third round pick plus something of lesser value for Patterson, but then again, I was stunned at what the Dolphins gave up for Kenny Stills (a third and LB Dannell Ellerbe). So what do I know... maybe Patterson is worth a second then, and the Vikings are asking for a first?

Would you rather draft a WR in the second round or trade it for Patterson? Patterson would be cheap on the cap this year and next, a free agent in 2017. Also worth considering is that Patterson is an excellent kickoff returner. Last I checked, a returner is a big need for the Texans.

It's all very speculative anyway since the Vikings are not obligated to move him, and the NFL Network said his agent didn't think the team was shopping him around. Fun to speculate though.

As for Vince Wilfork, his agent seemed to be rather open in talking to Mark Berman on Thursday, almost a little too open. I hope the Texans aren't being made a bitch here so Wilfork can pocket more cash from the Patriots - or worse - the Colts. The Browns and Steelers were rumored to also have interest.

Lastly, saw this good piece of tweet reporting to confirm the Texans weren't bidding against themselves for Rahim Moore:
Quote:
@DarrenWolfson
Finally confirmed, per source: #Vikings were IN on safety Rahim Moore. Had to go higher than Houston. Moore wanted Texans. They wouldn't.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:00 PM
All-Pro

I watched Draft Day, the movie, for the first time the other night. Now, I'm willing to send three first-round picks for some druggie on Ritalin who can bitch out Kevin Costner even before his name gets called.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:38 PM
All-Pro

I was just talking to my girlfriend about Draft Day. I love that movie. Was attempting to explain my facination with the draft to her.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Kendrick Lewis signed with the Ravens. With Rahim Moore signing, I suppose Lewis didn't want to play backup, and who can blame him after last season.

The Vikings cut Greg Jennings, which would seem to squash any speculation about the team trading Cordarelle Patterson.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:14 PM
All-Pro

Who would you rather have, Greg Jennings or Vincent Wilfork?
Old 03-14-2015, 07:19 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
I was just talking to my girlfriend about Draft Day. I love that movie. Was attempting to explain my facination with the draft to her.
Well, once you get a handle on it go ahead and explain it to the rest of us. I was just thinking while going through the other thread I have no fking idea why you do all of that but I sure as hell am glad you do. I can safely say that pre-draft is my favorite time of year as a Texans fan, sad as that may be. It's like spring training for a Cubs fan.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:29 PM
All-Pro

Honestly, it is just a puzzle or game that I can see where the pieces fit and can't understand how the GMs who get paid cannot. So, I want to make sure that there isn't something I am missing. It started when we drafted Carr instead of Peppers and continued when we missed on Derrick Johnson and Clay Matthews, so I love being on record as to who I would've taken instead. If I had to prognosticate our picks it would be :
WR Jaelen Strong
TE Clive Walford
WR Phil Dorsett
OLB Anthony Chickillo
ILB Ben Heeney
DT Derrick Lott
QB Shane Carden

Assuming one of the top 3 WRs aren't available when we pick at #16 nor are any of the top OLBs.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:01 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Jabba McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL · 20m20 minutes ago
FA WR Cecil Shorts III is visiting with Texans today.
EDIT:
------
Per Rotoworld FA Tracker - WR Rankings:

11. Kenny Britt (Re-signed 2-year, $14M deal with STL)
12. Greg Jennings
13. Cecil Shorts
14. Brian Hartline (Signed 2-year, $6M deal with CLE)
15. Eddie Royal (Signed 3-year, $15M deal with CHI)
------

IMO, STL and CHI vastly overpaid. I'd be OK with a deal in the Hartline range for Shorts as long as he's fully healthy. I'd pass if it's anything more than that. You have to think with them interested in Wilfork, Shorts and possibly others, Graham is on very thin ice at ~$2.5MM (actually, I just don't see them keeping him at that price) and a re-do with JJoe might be on the horizon. Not sure how much cap space they have available at this point.

Last edited by popanot; 03-16-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:01 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
EDIT:
------
Per Rotoworld FA Tracker - WR Rankings:

11. Kenny Britt (Re-signed 2-year, $14M deal with STL)
12. Greg Jennings
13. Cecil Shorts
14. Brian Hartline (Signed 2-year, $6M deal with CLE)
15. Eddie Royal (Signed 3-year, $15M deal with CHI)
------

IMO, STL and CHI vastly overpaid. I'd be OK with a deal in the Hartline range for Shorts as long as he's fully healthy. I'd pass if it's anything more than that. You have to think with them interested in Wilfork, Shorts and possibly others, Graham is on very thin ice at ~$2.5MM (actually, I just don't see them keeping him at that price) and a re-do with JJoe might be on the horizon. Not sure how much cap space they have available at this point.
I seriously don't get how Kenny Britt is still stealing money from NFL franchises. Jeff Fisher really is an idiot when it comes to offense.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl · 2m2 minutes ago
Source confirmed. RT @FSOhioZJackson: Source says WR Cecil Shorts signing two year deal with Texans. He visited team today.
It will be interesting to see the contract and if Smith is really a changed man this offseason.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:33 PM
Pro Bowler

Wilfork a Texan too:

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 2m2 minutes ago
Wilfork to #Texans, per Wilfork RT @wilfork75: Thank you everyone for everything your support has been tremendous
Man, I just hope these contracts are sensible. If so, I like what they're doing. I'm always an advocate of upgrading wherever you can as long as it's smart and doesn't kill the cap/future.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:21 PM
Hall of Fame

2 years for Shorts sounds like a show-us-what-you-got deal....

Wilfork: Say goodbye to the clam chowda. Say hello to some tasty tacos....
Old 03-16-2015, 03:31 PM
Pro Bowler

Shorts Deal:
Quote:
@McClain_on_NFL: Cecil Shorts III two-year, $6 million deal includes $2.5 guaranteed.
Right in the Hartline range and about what I expected. Seems fair to me. Bye-bye Martin.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:39 PM
Regular Starter

Getting Shorts and Wilfork the same day, NICE!!

We can scratch those two positions from the top half of the draft now. I'm thinking a DB, OLB, and possibly a 3-4 DE, with maybe a X WR or QB possibly in there somewhere.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Pro Bowler

I'm not sure how much $$ the Texans have left, but I'd submit an offer sheet to Andre Holmes, OAK WR. OAK gave him the lowest possible tender so there wouldn't be any picks involved. He's young, big and fast and flashed some big-time potential when given the opportunity. Probably a long shot considering OAK has cash to burn, but it's worth a shot, IMO. OAK giving him a low tender might be a red flag, but I haven't heard anything bad about him and teams have made the low-tender mistake in the past.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:50 PM
All-Pro

Wow, better than I expected for this FA season.

Now got me wondering what the next changes will be.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:33 PM
All-Pro

I don't mind two year deals at all. It is when deals get in the 3+ range I think you are sacrificing some of the future. These sound like good deals.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:33 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
@RapSheet: Vince Wilfork’s 2-year, $9M #Texans contract has $5M guaranteed in the first year. After that, it’s wait-and-see for both sides
Again, not a bad deal. Right about market and no real cap implications. Nice upgrade. I'm starting to think Rick Smith has been abducted by aliens.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:31 PM
All-Pro

I don't give up on a WR at #16 just because we signed Shorts.

I'm still on the Parker/Strong bandwagon. We need a legit threat with DeAndre.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:51 PM
Pro Bowler

I don't think they're done at WR either. While I wouldn't have a problem with them going WR at 16, I think they'll wait and go LB, OL (C/G), or Edge now.