IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2010, 07:49 PM
All-Pro

Default Alphonso Smith

The Broncos are happy with the likes of Champ Bailey, Andre Goodman, and Perrish Cox. So, they are reportedly looking to deal their young CB for a Fifth Round pick. I'm a big fan of stockpiling picks, but giving up a 5th for Alphonso Smith seems like a steal to me. He was a playmaking defensive back at Wake Forest and finished up 8 INTs as a Junior with 7 more INTs as a Senior. He also can return punts. I like him much more than Brice McCain and he'd be great along with Kareem Jackson and Glover Quinn. Just a thought.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:53 PM
All-Pro

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/topic...lphonso-smith/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...one-in-denver/

At this point, Smith appears to be battling rookie seventh-round pick Syd'Quan Thompson for the ninth and possibly final defensive back roster spot. Thompson is coming off a preseason performance that showed more promise than anything Smith has done as a pro.

Look, we understand bad picks happen. But McDaniels traded a 2010 first-round pick to Seattle to take Smith No. 37 overall. (The traded pick turned into the No. 14 selection; Seattle took Earl Thomas.) If you are going to gamble that big on an undersized cornerback, you better be right.

Smith's possible release points out just how hard it is to judge college talent. The Broncos took cornerbacks Perrish Cox and Thompson in the fifth and seventh-round respectively in 2010. They both look like long-term keepers.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:01 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Smith's possible release points out just how hard it is to judge college talent.
Personally I like the JaMarcus Russell example better, but your point is well taken. And yea, it's a beach getting all of those Draft picks right !
But I remember Smith. As I recall, he's that little corner with the great ball-skills but lacking in long-speed ?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:24 PM
All-Pro

Smith has yet to impress with the Broncos and is looking like a pint-sized bust that cost them a #1 pick. To give up on him this fast shows you he's hasn't shown much.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:58 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Smith has yet to impress with the Broncos and is looking like a pint-sized bust that cost them a #1 pick. To give up on him this fast shows you he's hasn't shown much.
They also gave up on Brandon Marshall, Jay Cutler, and Tony Scheffler. They may have a personality issue, coaching issue, or something that is causing an issue. They are also loaded at the position. I would not mind swapping a 5th rounder and cutting Molden for him. That's just me though.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:54 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
They also gave up on Brandon Marshall, Jay Cutler, and Tony Scheffler. They may have a personality issue, coaching issue, or something that is causing an issue. They are also loaded at the position. I would not mind swapping a 5th rounder and cutting Molden for him. That's just me though.
I'm not cutting Molden for a bust. Molden is a very good special teamer and has shown well when healthy. I give him this season to prove to me he can stay off the injury report.

They same goes for Adibi.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Pro Bowler

He was traded to Detroit yesterday.
]
Per Rotoworld:
Lions acquired CB Alphonso Smith from the Broncos in exchange for TE Dan Gronkowski.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:55 AM
All-Pro

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...ith-gronkowski

Smith goes from playing with Champ Bailey to Becoming Dre Bly's teammate.
Maybe Gunther Cunningham can get something out of him.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:28 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...ith-gronkowski

Smith goes from playing with Champ Bailey to Becoming Dre Bly's teammate.
Maybe Gunther Cunningham can get something out of him.
Bears the question of why not trade them one of our TEs?

But I would think Rick Smith still has friends in the Denver scouting department and I would think he might know more then we do about the kid.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:58 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I would think he might know more then we do about the kid.
I'm just going to watch and see how he does in Detroit. Perhaps they didn't like the way he tackles and compared him to Philip Buchanon. He's not a big smashing tackler. Yet, I'd be happy to have him cover Dallas Clark or Mike Thomas in the slot.