IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Other 31 Teams
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Jeff Fisher out

NFL network is announcing that Jeff Fisher has been let go by the Titans. WOW! I thought his job was safe now that VY was gone.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:14 PM
All-Pro

He recently gave Chuck Cecil a 2011 contract extension and then fired him a few days later. Lots of disfunction over there right now.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:05 AM
Pro Bowler

Supposedly Fisher had one year left and had no intention of renewing and Bud didn't want to renew him either so they decided to part ways rather than have a lame-duck year. At least that's what's being reported...
Old 01-28-2011, 08:53 AM
All-Pro

That would have happened weeks ago if it was the real story. Bud wouldn't have gone through the VY thing and then announced Fisher was staying as the head coach. They wouldn't have waited until now when there is little out there to make a staff from. Fisher wouldn't have fired his good friend Cecil if he was going out himself.

Lots of confusion and nobody seems to know what they want over there.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:41 AM
All-Pro

Now that the rest of the NFL has hired their head coaches and most have hired their d-coordinators, I'd like to see McNair try to lure Fisher to Houston on a one-year consulting gig.

The purpose would be to have him in house if Kubiak is gone after next season and to insure that Wade Phillips isn't the head-coach-in-waiting. I think McNair would be making a huge mistake if he thinks Phillips would be his next head coach.

I'd tell Fisher that the defense (especially the DBs which was his position as a player) are terrible and his advise on players and schemes could be useful. Let him know that if a good offer comes along, he is free to leave but he'll get consideration for the top job if he stays.

Fisher is getting a big buyout so he doesn't need a job, and he probably wouldn't cost much money to have around for a year. But it does keep him "in the game" and tells him your interested in him as an option down the road.

It also sends the message to the current coaching staff that this is a make-or-break year for at least some of them.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:17 PM
All-Pro

of course you realize Fisher, in last 10 years has had 5 seasons with 5 game loosing streaks. that isn't really good, despite stability.

in addition to the Vince thing and Cecil thing apparently he also tried to hire his son as QA coach, nepotism against Bud's rules.

so, story goes that Fisher asked to be let go now. All his coaches were leaving already.

atleast I thought of him as the enemy, so not looking forward to seeing him here personally.

He has done some good things also in a tough situations like moving the team out of Houston, going to a super bowl in 99, ..
Old 01-28-2011, 01:46 PM
All-Pro

He gets points from me for surviving and occasionally prospering all these years with Bud Adams as his owner and Nashville as his market (not exactly a lure for free agents). He builds good defenses and great running games, even while having the unstable likes of Steve McNair and Vince Young as his quarterbacks. And has he ever had a wide receiver in the same solar system as Andre Johnson in all those years?

I suppose one can argue whether Floyd Reese was the great acquirer of talent or whether Fisher was the great coach who made them gel together. He had Young forced upon him and he tried to make it work.

As for the "enemy" talk, I'd look forward to rubbing Bud's nose in beating him with his longtime coach and, in the short term, who's going to know better their personnel inside and out?

Other than Bill Cowher or Bill Parcells, both pipe dreams in terms of ever coming to Houston, I don't think there's a coach on the market I'd rather have here.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
I'd tell Fisher that the defense (especially the DBs which was his position as a player) are terrible and his advise on players and schemes could be useful. Let him know that if a good offer comes along, he is free to leave but he'll get consideration for the top job if he stays.
Fisher isn't a 3-4 guy, but yeah, defensive backs are defensive backs. Fisher was the Eagles DB coach before he became their DC in the late 80s.

Bottom line, to borrow an HPF classic line from Dave, is that we're gonna see a lot more of Jeff Fisher managing at your local Dominos Pizza.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Pro Bowler

Right now is not a good time for Fisher to come to the Texans. Besides he will probably take a year off to recharge his battery and see if he really wants to coach anymore.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
He recently gave Chuck Cecil a 2011 contract extension and then fired him a few days later. Lots of disfunction over there right now.
Cecil was already going to be out. This was a 500K parting gift by Fish.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:52 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Cecil was already going to be out. This was a 500K parting gift by Fish.
My point exactly. When head coaches are giving away 500k parting gifts of the owner's money, you have lots of disfunction. And if Cecil was out all along, you don't wait until now when there are very few unattached assistant coaches available. You make the decision a month ago. But apparently Fisher and Bud have spent a month trying to decide who would be the QB and who would be the assistant coach, etc... And in the end, after compromise and statements about the future, and coaches extensions, and 500k parting gifts, they quit on each other. About as disfunctional as it gets and it starts at the top of the organization and runs all the way down to a team who can't play a game without a personal foul. It will be interesting to see who wants that job after this kind of messy divorce.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:36 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
It will be interesting to see who wants that job after this kind of messy divorce.
Tom Cable strikes me as an apt replacement.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:51 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Tom Cable strikes me as an apt replacement.
If there is one guy in the world who would view Bud Adams as a better boss, it might be Cable.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:47 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
If there is one guy in the world who would view Bud Adams as a better boss, it might be Cable.
LOL It's funny because it's true.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:33 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Have to agree with Bob, so true it's scary.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
.....Wade Phillips isn't the head-coach-in-waiting.
With nitwit McNair at the helm you know damn well this is going to happen. Get ready for another 3-5 years of mediocrity. All this talk about the next HC when it would be right up McNair's alley to make the wrong decision and just hand it over to Phillips. Almost makes me hope Kubiak turns it around...

Last edited by popanot; 01-31-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Pro Bowler

Disagree Popanot, if Jerry Jones can have Super Bowls with some of the coaches he has hired, then anybody can. McNair does not get very good advise, which is why I am advocating someone who is a football person to come in and take over the running of the team.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:35 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Disagree Popanot, if Jerry Jones can have Super Bowls with some of the coaches he has hired, then anybody can. McNair does not get very good advise, which is why I am advocating someone who is a football person to come in and take over the running of the team.
Jones had 1 superbowl with Switzer coaching Jimmy Johnson's talent (plus Deion). And honestly I don't know if Switzer even changed the offense or defense. I think he basically showed up with a bunch of hall of famers and rolled out the footballs for them to play with. Not to mention it was the beginning of the salary cap era and Jimmy Johnson figured out what that meant before everyone else and traded old Hershel Walker for half of their future roster.

Either way my point is that the Cowboys winning 1 superbowl with Switzer is not an indicator that you can win with any coach. It is an indicator that Johnson did such an amazing job running the Cowboys, that his momentum actually won a superbowl.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Pro Bowler

I would have to agree with that. What this city needs is a few football breaks, after some of the crummy things that have happened around here. Luck be a lady to us!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:42 PM
All-Pro

As time goes by we get a little more insight into the Titans and how disfunctional it really was.

Munchak (OL coach) is hired from within as the head coach and immediately fires the guy who was his boss 24 hours ago.