IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Regular Starter

Default Ben Tate

ESPN is reporting this morning that he likely has a broken ankle and is out for the year. The report has not been confirmed yet so let's hope it turns out to be wrong.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Regular Starter

Tough break (pardon the pun) for the kid and the Texans. The good news is that there are 4 other backs that looked competent. Foster looked excellent and best of all on AJs long catch for a TD he did a good job picking up the blitz. Slaton fairly good, but is NOT a goal line back, third down only IMO. J. Johnson showed well and Chris had his moments. Time will sort out the order.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:06 PM
All-Pro

From the replays, I thought the ankle might have been twisted but Joel Meyers was going on and on about the knee and it looked like the knee was getting attention while he was down on the turf so I assumed I was the idiot and the injury was the knee.

Actually, if it is an ankle, that may be a blessing. Bad knees turn good running backs into ordinary ones.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Pro Bowler

Well, this will open it up for Chris Henry and Jeremiah Johnson to get more action. Foster and Slaton were going to get their touches anyway.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:16 PM
All-Pro

Tate is saying on his Facebook page that the ankle is *not* broken:

Quote:
"Thanks to everyone for your prayers and wishing me well!!!" Tate wrote on his Facebook page Sunday afternoon. "i didnt break my ankle i can tell you that but thanks to everyone."
- NFL.com

It seems he will need surgery so it may mean he gets PUP'd and comes back at mid-season.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:07 PM
All-Pro

Well, we hope Tate is ok, I guess PUP would be good at this point. I like the other four RB we have, I think young, but much better than expected.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Regular Starter

There would be no way I start the season(if I was Kubiak and assuming he realizes his a$$ could be on the line) without signing another RB.

JJ and SS both had MAJOR injuries last season and C. Henry is still a ??. I would start combing all the preseason games and see what teams release what RB's. My early favorite would be Keiland Williams out of LSU(yes, another SEC RB) signed as a UDFA, currently playing for the Redskins. I think we have a few connections on that team.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:22 AM
All-Pro

I guess we'll know by tomorrow or Wednesday what is really happening with Tate's ankle, other than it isn't broken.

For RB we have now - likely would only keep 3 o 4 anyways, other than if great on special teams.
23 Foster, Arian * RB 6-1 229 Tennessee 2nd
27 Henry, Chris RB 5-11 234 Arizona 3rd
24 Johnson, Jeremiah RB 5-9 218 Oregon 1st(2nd)
20 Slaton, Steve RB 5-9 199 West Virginia 3rd
43 Tate, Ben * RB 5-11 220 Auburn 1st

Seems like other than Slayton, all are big and built for helping in the red zone. And Foster did real good in end zone last two games of last year.

I think 4 remaining RB are doing pretty well, running hard, max effort. maybe some need to learn the full offense, blocking skills, pass routes, but they have been here for OTA's and have few more weeks with now more reps to get ready.

In general RB start quick, get injured, hard to find older guy in good shape. You could bring in a fifth for helping in practice. no need to panic.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Regular Starter

Tate is going on IR so he'll be out for the year. He isn't eligible for the PUP list -- that's only for guys aren't healthy at the start of camp.