View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
That might be true in a general sense. Most teams value CB, DT's, DE's, and LB's more than safeties. In our case I think taking a safety is understandable. I think it's silly to say best player available because we know teams don't do that. You have to balance needs with who's available. If it's an absolute dead heat between a safety and a corner...then go for the bigger need. If you like the safety better, take him. I think the idea that a safety isn't an impact position is blown out of proportion. Especially if we keep playing as much zone as we have this year.

Look at how much our defense improved last year with the addition of Will Demps...who I consider a below average safety. Safety play has been a huge weak spot for this team. I think an impact safety is rare, but if you've got one you think can be that guy you go ahead and take them. Look at the impact that Polamalu and Sanders have for their team. Of course with Pitt, there's enough other good players to allow Polamalu to freelance and make plays, but a defense is only as strong as it weakest link. If you've got a chance to upgrade a weakness then position shouldn't play that big of a role.

I also disagree that all of the positions you listed are a bigger need. Why take a RB in the first when he will likely serve as a compliment to Slaton. I'm all for having a two headed monster and have no problem taking a RB next year, esp. if it's in the middle part of the round...but I wouldn't necessarily call it a bigger need. I do consider every position on the defensive side of the ball a need, but I could argue with myself all day over which is the biggest area of concern so I'm not going to quibble with you over it .

I think mocks are silly this time of year too. Way too much changes once the TV experts stop predicitng and the real personnel guys start really working the draft....it's friday though and I don't feel like working so what the hell.
Obviously no one in their right mind could argue against drafting Troy Polamalu or Bob Sanders. Both guys are game changers and would help any team. But, when I hear first round safety, I think more along the lines of Reggie Nelson, Dante Whitner, or LaRon Landry; good, but not great players and certainly not game changers.

So, if it starts to look like Moore or Mays is going to be more of an Ed Reed than a Michael Huff, then I'd have no problem drafting them. But, that's not my impression (at all) and I think it'd be ridiculous to draft either of them over an impact DT (Cody), CB (Davis), LB (Laurinaitis), et al.