View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 01:47 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
But of course it makes sense to protest a tacky nickname of an NFL team to distract the masses from the failings of the economic illiterate in the White House who keeps minority unemployment above 15% with his job-killing mandates. If the Redskins change their names, the Native American community sees no tangible benefit but if more sensible economic policies were in place, thousands of Native Americans might have a job or get a better-paying job, improving countless lives. So, by all means, protest what's truly important like what a football team decides to call itself.
If the argument over the Redskins name was truly just meant to stir up trouble and distract the easily distracted masses from real problems, and if I wanted to see those real problems given their due attention, then would I…

1. Engage in an argument with the PC crowd about how the Redskins can be the Redskins and nobody has the right to tell them otherwise. Thus heightening the argument and drawing even more attention to it.

2. Or Would I say that yes, that name should be changed, putting the discussion to sleep, and putting the attention back on the problems I think are more important.

Seems pretty obvious I would go with #2 every time if my motive was really to focus on what matters. But it takes two to tango. The anti-PC crowd wants to argue on these subjects every bit as much as the PC crowd does. Neither of the sides that shout and bang their fist really wants to accomplish change, they just want to be heard.

As for the Martin case, it is clear that Miami was a mess, even if you want to grade on a huge football testosterone curve. And if it takes an English lit guy like Kornheiser to help the football guys understand that threatening to rape each other’s families is not a productive way to bond in the work place, then I am glad someone finally got some use out of an English lit degree.