View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 05:50 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
If you look at depth charts they are for base defenses, they do not have the situational packages in them. I see Barwin as part of the nickle packages, Mario will move to the LDE, Smith becomes LDT, Okoye stays at RDT, and Barwin become the RDE.
This is a very good read about how I forsee our defense becoming more aggressive and how we'll be using our new toys.

http://www.trojanfootballanalysis.co...z_schemes.html

The first blitz that I am going to show you is what we simply refer to as “Sam and Mike”. We are going to use the strong side linebacker and middle linebackers to rush the passer. We slant our strong side defensive end, nose guard, and 3 technique to the open side of their formation away from their normal rush gaps. The weak side defensive end is going to drop into pass coverage on this play. The alignment is the same as before. The Corners are line up in tight coverage but are going to bail out and play a three deep zone coverage with the Free Safety. The Corners will play outside leverage on this blitz and force everything inside. The Free Safety is playing a deep middle. The weak side Defense End and Strong Safety are the outside defenders to each side. They are playing seam coverage with the Will linebacker in the middle seam. The Strong Safety and weak side Defensive End play what we call the hot receivers to their side. Once the quarterback sees the blitz he’ll often throw to these short areas to his designated hot receiver. If the tight end comes down the middle seam the Strong Safety collapses on him. The Defensive End does the same thing with the back out of the backfield.

What's cool about having Barwin as the "situational" pass rusher is that on those occasions when we have the DE drop in coverage, it won't be a total waste of his talent. He is the DE that I want on the weak side of a formation when we are in passing situations.