View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 10:41 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'm with barrett in that I don't think the team sees CB as a need, or at least they aren't ready to admit that it is. I guess we'll see by their actions in the draft.

Where I differ from barrett is that I generally don't like to take OL very high, certainly not OL in a zone scheme. My reasoning is that an OL works together as a unit and you can find productive guys to fit the unit all over the draft board. With high picks I like to take guys with individual skills that operate individually, mainly cover corners and pass rushers. I would be good with a safety with exceptional speed and coverage abilities, and I suppose I would be good with the big WR I've been saying I want.

Of course Duane Brown worked out pretty well.
I agree about OL in general. I think two things make me think OL. (1) RG is one of the only places on are team that needs a clear upgrade. #2CB is one but will not likely be addressed. #2 WR, #2 MLB, and NT are others but are part-time players in our schemes. And (2) I think OTs fit more in your individual skills category. Our offense still struggles when they are forced to pass in straight drop back situations. Eric Winston is about the best RT in the league when it is not a straight drop, and one of the worst when it is because of his short arms and cement shoes.

If we could move him inside to RG and put a tackle who could pass protect on the outside, I think it would be worth the pick more than any defensive position (other than CB which I think we ignore), and any other offensive postion (unless we can get a difference making return man with our #2 WR).