View Single Post
Old 05-02-2023, 10:40 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Johnson played QB at A&M under former Texans OC Mike Sherman. He was impressive as a junior -- 30 TDs/8 Ints. Because Johnson was entrenched as the starter (and because the WR depth chart was… not deep), sophomore QB and future first-rounder Ryan Tannehill played mostly at WR that year. As a senior, Johnson struggled (I believe that it was eventually confirmed that he was playing with a shoulder injury) and late in the season lost the starting job to Tannehill. He was not drafted and spent time with the Steelers, Seahawks, Bears, Ravens, and Cowboys, but never stuck on a regular season roster. He also had stints in the CFL and in a couple now-defunct minor leagues. I think that he also did some private QB coaching during that time, and recorded a couple songs (check your music streaming platform of choice). His break as a coach came in 2017, when he served as a coaching intern in the 49ers’ training camp (Kyle Shanahan's first as head coach). The defensive quality control coaches on that SF staff were his future Texans bosses, DeMeco and Slowik.
He coached here at St. Thomas HS, OC, I believe. They had a solid season at my old HS. He got another invite to an NFL camp and he went. IMO as an Aggie also, he never fully got his arm strength back from the hurt shoulder, had the brains but could not make all the throws anymore. When he graduated I thought he was a perfect fit for Kubiaks offense. I wasn't aware until later about the shoulder.

When he got the QB Coach job here I was very happy to see that. He has worked with CJ at some camp and they seem to have a good relationship.

Lance Z, said the knock on CJ that had him appear to tumble was he has had issues with being coached. It is said he did not get along with the OC in OSU. Also it is said he has trust issues with men due to his father's problems, and CJ has to trust the coaches working with him. Johnson seems to have his trust. Time will tell. This is the perfect offense for him, and he for it.

Crossing my fingers.