View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 08:03 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Not sure if Martin was worried about his blocking assignment or what but he's done this before. Snapping to a shotgun QB isn't rocket science - shouldn't be that tough to hit the QB's waist area consistently.
It *ought* to be easy except if you're actually the one doing it. The center has to a) call the blocking assignments, b) listen for the snap count, c) stick your head upside down to see the target you are snapping to and d) prepare for the bull rush of some 300-pound behemoth hoping to steamroll you on the way to your quarterback...all within a matter of seconds. Plus the play may change. Do you need to watch for the blitzing LB? Do you need to help out some weak-ass guard with a double-team because he's facing an all-pro?

Part of the problem is you can be money with the snap 99% of the time but the one time it's off, everybody notices. I'm really NOT making an excuse for Martin. He's a professional and he has to get it right every time, no excuses. But it isn't as simple as duck and snap. There's a lot that needs to be processed and reactions made in a matter of a few seconds.

BTW, I think NBA players should hit all of their free throws at the end of a game for the very same reason. They're professionals and they should get it right every time, no excuses. No defensive tackle is breathing down the shooter's neck to turn him into road kill right after the release either. It should be EASY. Hell, they practice it enough. Or at least they used to practice it back in the day. Maybe they have kneeling practice now, I haven't watched them in years.