View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 07:28 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
C'mon Barrett quit being such a hard-azz, Savage played well and threw some excellent passes yesterday except I will admit that pass at the end was ill advised. And he's not gonna be anywhere next year for or at close to the league mimimun, the kid is gonna get paid.
But JD Clowneys performance was disappointing, especially for who is probably the best football player in the state of Texas. He had like 3 or 4 offsides.
You are way overestimating the market for Savage. Savage has 5 career TDs, a negative TD to INT ratio, the most fumbles in the league even though he hasn't played half the games, and is a career 58% passer. He'll be a 5th year player next year and minimum for a 5th year guy is $775,000.

My guess is Savage gets a short term deal for about $1 million a year. If that is the market then I don't mind bringing him back as the backup (I'd add another young guy somehow as well). If somebody wants to overpay him I'll gladly wish him luck elsewhere.

Either way I'm not understanding where you get the idea he's going to get paid next year. He's accomplished nothing in his 4 year career. He's been constantly hurt, he's got terrible accuracy, no pocket awareness, and prior to this season he managed to get 3 starts in 3 years for a team that started 8 QBs during that time. Add to that he was never projected as more than a backup QB at any time before or after entering the NFL.

Here is a list of guys who signed in the neighborhood I'm talking about (all of whom have track record and pedigree equal to or better than Savage).

Gabbert 1 year $895,000
Geno Smith 1/$1.2 million
EJ Manuel 1/$800,000
Kellen Moore 1/$775,000