View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 10:56 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Interesting question.

I'd remove the pass rushers from this... Clowney, Mercilus, etc. Clowney would end the conversation immediately, but he isn't a typical LB.

This then breaks down into one of those baseball Hall of Fame type discussions. Do you favor the player with the highest peak or the one with the best longevity? And if it's the highest peak, how long must that player have been at that peak? (Nevermind the HoF convos about honoring steroid users, also appropriate here.)

Cushing was fierce his first three seasons before his first major injury, more than living up to his mid-1st round selection. A DROY and one-time Pro Bowler, he's had an admirable career regardless, but it is hard to imagine what could've been had he not suffered the injuries since he flashed such potential.

DeMeco Ryans, a 2nd rounder in the Mario Williams draft, was more than just solid for six seasons in Houston, notching two Pro Bowls, one All Pro season, and a DROY. He never had the sort of impact plays Cushing was capable of making, but he was reliable, a leader, and loved as team captain. Don't sell him short. Oh, and he wasn't on roids since he was a teenager. The Texans neutered Ryans when they switched to the 3-4 under Wade Phillips. Ryans just never fit right in anything but a 4-3.

Here's what Cushing said about DeMeco at the time of the trade:
Brian Cushing (@briancushing56): "I wouldn't be half the player or person I am today without @DRyans59 this one hurts. Philly got a unbelievable player and leader today. #59″

So yeah Cushing would get my vote as best Texans LB, but he's not running away with it.

Honorable mention for me to Jamie Sharper who spent the back third of his career in Houston as an expansion player. While he didn't haul in a ton of awards, he was a solid contributor on those early and surprisingly adequate expansion-year defenses. He could make far more impact plays than Ryans, but I don't think Ryans was really asked to make those kinds of contributions in the scheme.
I agree the 34 ruined Ryans because it asked him to deal with OL. I also think his time in Philly showed he could have done more than be a 2 down tackler like he was in Houston. He also clearly had the leadership intangibles.

As for Cushing's steroid use, I assume every NFL player uses PEDs. The sport is made for using 6 months a year and cycling off before testing starts back up in training camp. We're playing make believe if we think all of those guys aren't on something.