View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 03:16 AM
All-Pro

All I can say, Barrett, is that if past drafting history is irrelevant, we would have Derek Carr as our quarterback now and would not have needed to chase Osweiler. Yes, I see your point that it *should* be irrelevant but other times it just history repeating itself.

I remember reading a report once from a guy who said he'd never draft a (Univ. of) Texas player because former strength coach "Mad Dog" Madden would add weight on them with no definition (much like himself). The scout predicted All-America OT Mike Williams would be a bust as a pro because he was "all fat". Buffalo took him at #4 or #5 that year based on reputation and, indeed, Williams turned out to be a bust and quickly out of the league.

The facts are we drafted Nix out of Notre Dame in the third who never played a down, Martin out of ND in the second who hasn't played a down and Fuller out of ND in the first who can't catch a pass but at least can suit up. If I were Rick Smith, I would look into Notre Dame's conditioning program before I drafted another Irish player, particularly a lineman.

Applying this to drafting Mahomes, it is easy to name record-setting QBs from Texas Tech, but name me one who turned into a solid or successful NFL quarterback.

As for this Webb kid, if he's the guy who beat the Longhorns last year, he needs to bring his WR with him (Martin??) because those two were lethal together. Webb graduated from (guess?) Texas Tech and still had a year of eligibility so he contacted Cal (which just lost Goff to the NFL) and agreed to enroll just enough to stay eligible but his true major was "NFL quarterback studies". Had he stayed at Tech, he would have been behind Mahomes but this guy felt he had NFL talent if he could just get to play. I must say, what I saw of him at Cal was impressive but then slicing and dicing the Longhorn secondary was ridiculously easy last season.