IntheBullseye.com

IntheBullseye.com (http://inthebullseye.com/forums/index.php)
-   The NFL Draft (http://inthebullseye.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cause I'm Bored A : Pre All Star Games Mock (http://inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1970)

painekiller 01-21-2016 11:33 PM

Cause I'm Bored A : Pre All Star Games Mock

17 Carson Wentz QB North Dakota State Sr 6-5 231 (trade up)
52 Kenneth Dixon RB Louisiana Tech Sr 5-10 212
84 (given up in the trade up)
116 Tyler Higbee TE Western Kentucky rSr 6-5 233
148 Jayron Kearse SS Clemson Jr 6-4 220
180 Demarcus Ayers WR Houston Jr 5-10 190

Offense heavy. And I don't want to trade up in the 1st, but that is the hand currently laid in front of me. Until we have a better idea of the QB rankings, this is my guess.

This will change a lot between now and April.

Nconroe 01-22-2016 02:53 PM

Perhaps due to trades we will gain a fith rounder for Keshawn Martin, and two seventh rounders - one for Case Keenum to Rams and one for Fitzpatric to Jets.

But loose a sixth for Mallett from Boston and a seventh from Denver for Chris Clark.

So that is likely a total of 8 picks this year. maybe. likely no compensatory this year.

Right now I'm thinking no trade up required for QB, but as you mentioned , lots of time till draft actually takes place.

Just me, I'd probably target a TE before a RB which means I think some upside to running backs we have now.

A 6'4" safety to keep up with the big TE's like Gronk sounds reasonable.

painekiller 01-28-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nconroe (Post 43111)
Perhaps due to trades we will gain a fith rounder for Keshawn Martin, and two seventh rounders - one for Case Keenum to Rams and one for Fitzpatric to Jets.

But loose a sixth for Mallett from Boston and a seventh from Denver for Chris Clark.

So that is likely a total of 8 picks this year. maybe. likely no compensatory this year.

Right now I'm thinking no trade up required for QB, but as you mentioned , lots of time till draft actually takes place.

Just me, I'd probably target a TE before a RB which means I think some upside to running backs we have now.

A 6'4" safety to keep up with the big TE's like Gronk sounds reasonable.

I knew we had gained some picks and lost some picks, but I was to lazy to look it up, so thank you for the correct rounds and # of picks in each.

popanot 01-28-2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nconroe (Post 43111)

I think playing time incentives Fitz achieved bumped the 7th up to a 6th.

painekiller 01-28-2016 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popanot (Post 43128)
I think playing time incentives Fitz achieved bumped the 7th up to a 6th.

I do believe your right.

Nconroe 01-29-2016 06:31 PM

Draftek is now showing Texans with two in fifth, one in sixth, and none in 7th.

painekiller 02-10-2016 11:37 AM

Time for a new mock:

22 Vernon Butler DT Louisiana Tech Sr 6-4 325
52 Kenneth Dixon RB Louisiana Tech Sr 5-10 215
85 Dak Prescott QB Mississippi State rSr 6-2 226
116 Cole Toner OT Harvard Sr 6-5 305
146 Jayron Kearse SS Clemson Jr 6-4 220
154 Graham Glasgow OG Michigan rSr 6-6 306
177 Temarrick Hemingway TE South Carolina State rSr 6-5 245

Butler is athletic and large, takes advantage of Wilfork to teach him the ropes.
Dixon is a versatile back that can run between the tackles or split out and run routes.
Prescott is a project that has leadership skills and has become a solid passer.
Toner had a solid Senior Bowl, and showing the skills to stonewall guys from the big schools.
Kearse brings the size for the SS position, is also a ball hawk.
Glasgow can play center or guard, well coached in college.
Hemingway is a big bodied split out TE.

Roy P 02-10-2016 08:26 PM

I like it. No real surprise, we often like the same type of players, PK. It's still early, but do you like Vernon Butler more than Jarran Reed or do you believe that Reed is off the board by #22? I am also a fan of Kearse and am eager to compare his measurables to Miles Killebrew

painekiller 02-10-2016 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy P (Post 43217)
I like it. No real surprise, we often like the same type of players, PK. It's still early, but do you like Vernon Butler more than Jarran Reed or do you believe that Reed is off the board by #22? I am also a fan of Kearse and am eager to compare his measurables to Miles Killebrew

Yes we do often agree on players, you appear to be the more analytical of us two. I like to see guys in one on one drills and such, I'm not so into the combine numbers they put up. But I do look at measurables.

As for Reed v Butler. I used the cbssports.com rating of the players, and I try not to grab players after their slotting. CBS has Reed as #21, so in my mock he would be gone. But I am not sure which guy I would rank ahead of the other all things being equal. Butler looks more fluid and does not move like a 325lb guy. Granted Reed's highlights are against guys more skilled than Butler has played. I would love to be able to go back and watch the Senior Bowl Practices again.

painekiller 02-11-2016 05:06 PM

Offensive Draft (Different names to watch)

22 Corey Coleman WR Baylor rJr 5-10 190
52 Nick Martin C Notre Dame rSr 6-4 296 2-3
85 Tyler Higbee TE Western Kentucky rSr 6-5 233
116 Cardale Jones QB Ohio State rJr 6-5 250
146 Aaron Green RB TCU rSr 5-11 203
154 Tom Hackett P Utah Sr 5-11 195
177 Ka'imi Fairbairn K UCLA Sr 6-0 183

Defensive Draft ( new names to watch)

22 Austin Johnson DT Penn State rJr 6-4 323
52 Carl Nassib DE Penn State rSr 6-7 273
85 Scooby Wright III ILB Arizona Jr 6-0 246
116 Cyrus Jones CB Alabama Sr 5-10 196
146 Hassan Ridgeway DT Texas rJr 6-3 320
154 Tyvis Powell FS Ohio State rJr 6-3 209
177 Anthony Zettel DE Penn State rSr 6-4 273

Just some names to watch, that may or may not be on your radars.

BTW if Nassib can play 3-4DE and replace Crick, the Front 7 would clobber other teams OLs. Watt - Wilfork/Johnson - Nassib with Merercilus - McKinney - Cushing - Clowney

Roy P 02-11-2016 07:50 PM

22 OL Jack Conklin
52 WR Pharoh Cooper
85 S Miles Killebrew
116 QB Dak Prescott
146 TE Henry Krieger Coble
154 RB Aaron Green
177 OL Willie Beavers

painekiller 02-11-2016 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy P (Post 43220)
22 OL Jack Conklin
52 WR Pharoh Cooper
85 S Miles Killebrew
116 QB Dak Prescott
146 TE Henry Krieger Coble
154 RB Aaron Green
177 OL Willie Beavers

Really on Conklin? Please explain your thoughts on him? Are you looking OT as insurance? (Which might not be a bad move, but you have a lot of cap $ committed to OT already)

Cooper can return punts and has size. (I don't like how he carries the ball like a bread loaf away from his body).

Miles Killebrew is a solid thumper at SS.

Are you really willing to wait until the 4th for Prescott?

Henry Krieger Coble video This coaching staff does like them some boys from Iowa.

We both have Green. My question is can he return punts and can he also play some in the slot? He will be a matchup problem with LBs not being able to cover him.

Beavers looks like a solid raw LT prospect.

Roy P 02-12-2016 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by painekiller (Post 43221)
Really on Conklin? Please explain your thoughts on him? Are you looking OT as insurance? (Which might not be a bad move, but you have a lot of cap $ committed to OT already)

Cooper can return punts and has size. (I don't like how he carries the ball like a bread loaf away from his body).

Miles Killebrew is a solid thumper at SS.

Are you really willing to wait until the 4th for Prescott?

Henry Krieger Coble video This coaching staff does like them some boys from Iowa.

We both have Green. My question is can he return punts and can he also play some in the slot? He will be a matchup problem with LBs not being able to cover him.

Beavers looks like a solid raw LT prospect.

I was looking at BPA best case scenarios. I really want TE Hunter Henry in the 1st round, but wanted to go a different way with this mock. I'm scared of the injury Duane Brown has to his quad. The O-line is horrible without Brown in the lineup, so I figured Conklin was good value at #22 and could start RT on day #1 or provide excellent insurance for Duane Brown down the road (later if not sooner). I drafted Beavers late because Mke Mayock has him ranked as his 5th best Tackle and there the guy was still on the board.

Pharoh Cooper is a guy I have heard a lot of buzz about. He would complement Hopkins and Strong while providing Special Teams ability. I am eager to see comparisons with Sterling Shepard of Oklahoma who is currently ranked lower.

Killebrew is similar to Kearse in my opinion but again currently ranked higher. A thumper who has some ball skills and the size to match athletic TEs. Could also be a Gunner on kicks.

I would be sweating bullets to wait for Dak until the 4th round. But, Bryce Petty was a 4th round pick last year and I loved him coming out. If I missed on Prescott, I would have gone Jacoby Brissett or Kevin Hogan later.

Aaron Green is elusive and quick. He reminds me of Reggie Bush, so I would want to pair him with another RB to split carries. Kenyan Drake is the other RB I like to fit this role, but Drake is ranked higher and not as good of a bargain. I beleive Green could be like Andre Ellington or Gio Bernard.

Krieger Coble was the bargain TE I grabbed since I didn't get Henry. I also like Vannett from Ohio State.

Keith 02-12-2016 11:17 AM

If the Texans waited until the 4th round to select a QB - any QB - there will be a mob with pitchforks storming on Kirby Drive.

So if Dak is the answer at QB for this team, who then starts for you week 1? Dak? Savage? Hoyer?

Keep in mind the past two seasons how much the overall success of this team has suffered due to a lack of even a decent QB. Another year of taking a mid-round QB and starting essentially a street FA in Week 1 will not go over well.

painekiller 02-12-2016 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy P (Post 43222)
I was looking at BPA best case scenarios. I really want TE Hunter Henry in the 1st round, but wanted to go a different way with this mock. I'm scared of the injury Duane Brown has to his quad. The O-line is horrible without Brown in the lineup, so I figured Conklin was good value at #22 and could start RT on day #1 or provide excellent insurance for Duane Brown down the road (later if not sooner). I drafted Beavers late because Mke Mayock has him ranked as his 5th best Tackle and there the guy was still on the board.

I too have been toying with a an OT early for insurance, with both Ben Jones and Brandon Brooks being FAs, I can see a highly likely scenario where one of those guys walks, creating a need for inside help. If Brown is healthy day one, drafting an OT would allow Derek Newton to slide inside to RG. Which in theory, might improve the team. Or you can move the rookie to RG and not expose the edge to a rookie.

Toner is available in the 4 on most mocks and now I can watch Beavers also. I would not be unhappy if we ended up with both Beavers and Toner after the 4th round. But if Mayock is seeing Beavers skills and I saw Toner's skills, little doubt the NFL guys missed them as badly as the mock guys are.

Roy, you and I often find guys low on the mock draft list that end up being drafted in the top 3 rounds, so I would bet that these two guys go earlier than the mockers have them going.

painekiller 02-12-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 43223)
If the Texans waited until the 4th round to select a QB - any QB - there will be a mob with pitchforks storming on Kirby Drive.

So if Dak is the answer at QB for this team, who then starts for you week 1? Dak? Savage? Hoyer?

Keep in mind the past two seasons how much the overall success of this team has suffered due to a lack of even a decent QB. Another year of taking a mid-round QB and starting essentially a street FA in Week 1 will not go over well.

Until I hear other wise, Hoyer is BOB's guy, for now. I would hope they keep Weeden and Savage and let them battle it out, cut Hoyer. Let the rookie be the 3rd guy and learn. Also do like Roy has suggested and hire a QB coach. I would add the QB coach to do nothing but work with the rookie and get him accelerated.

Roy P 02-12-2016 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by painekiller (Post 43224)

Roy, you and I often find guys low on the mock draft list that end up being drafted in the top 3 rounds, so I would bet that these two guys go earlier than the mockers have them going.

Yeah, that's why I think Prescott goes 1st or 2nd round. CB Cyrus Jones is at least a 3rd round prospect if not 2nd round. Jayron Kearse, Sterling Shepard, and Aaron Green are 3rd or 4th round picks at the least.

All the players I think I can wait until the 4th-7th round for will be long gone.

Roy P 02-12-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 43223)

So if Dak is the answer at QB for this team, who then starts for you week 1? Dak? Savage?.

I let Savage start with the first 4 weeks. A 2-2 start warrants a 5th start. A 1-3 start is my cue to give Dak a shot to see if he has made progress.

barrett 02-12-2016 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by painekiller (Post 43225)
Until I hear other wise, Hoyer is BOB's guy, for now. I would hope they keep Weeden and Savage and let them battle it out, cut Hoyer. Let the rookie be the 3rd guy and learn. Also do like Roy has suggested and hire a QB coach. I would add the QB coach to do nothing but work with the rookie and get him accelerated.

The idea that we'd have a mid round rookie as a 3rd stringer and Hoyer starting games is absurd. Bob McNair is already making media rounds saying we are going to draft a QB.

Roy P 02-12-2016 07:05 PM

I'm guessing it's Paxton Lynch if available or Connor Cook. We shall see.